OWC pie chart

LB

Hello everybody
I'm learning how to create pie chart using OWC.
I'm able now to create a pie.
But I can not figure out how to do the following :

- for each pie, when mousing over, I would like to display the value in a
tooltiptext
- for each pie, I would like to have in the middle, the %.

Any idea where I could find an example (using vb) to accomplish that ?

Thank you
LB

Kevin Spencer

Any idea where I could find an example (using vb) to accomplish that ?

Interesting choice of words. Not "any idea how to do that?" Not "any idea
what I need to know to do that?" Instead, very specifically, you ask for
code (in VB.Net specifically) to do that.

The answer is, of course, no. And you're eventually going to find that,
amazingly, there isn't a snippet of code somewhere on the Internet that can
do everything that can be done in an application.

Programming is not the process of putting snippets together. If it was, we
could pay automotive assembly-line workers $10 an hour to put programs
together. Programming is the process of conceiving, designing, researching,
and, yes, writing code.

So, rather than giving you the fish you are asking for (for one thing it
would take me too long to write it), I'm going to point you in the right
direction, and pray that you follow it.

We're talking about a browser here, and an HTML document. While I haven't
ever used any OWCs, I would imagine that the out put is an image. If so, and
taking the HTML enviornment into consideration, you would need to
dynamically create an image map in the HTML document that contains the
image. An image map is an array of corrdinates which divide up an image into
sections. When you click one of the sections, a different URL can be
navigated to, or a JavaScript function can be called. You can also create
onmouseover events for the indivdual slices of the image. See the following
URL for details:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ImageMap+onmouseover

You will need to research how to do a tooltip as well. That can also be
Googled.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Kevin Spencer

One other thing occurred to me. This OWC may be an ActiveX client-side
control. If that is the case, you're SOL. It will behave the way it is
designed to behave, and no more. In that case, your best bet would be to
create your own server-side pie-chart imaging class, that can return an
image to the page. I have seen an article or 2 on the Microsoft web site for
creating a pie chart dynamically as an image. It was a long time ago, so I
don't remember exactly where. But you should be able to search the
microsoft.com web site to find it. It has all the code you need to create a
pie chart image. Then you can go from there with my instructions for
creating an image map and tooltips.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Andy Fish

I think you're being a little harsh here. The OP specifically asked about
OWC and for all you (or I) know, OWC might have functionality built in which
can generate a pie chart with an image map and tooltips and mouseovers, all
with one click of a button or one special command.

It doesn't do any harm to know what happens behind the scenes, but the point
of high-productivity tools like OWC is that you don't always need to know
the details.

Kevin Spencer

It doesn't do any harm to know what happens behind the scenes, but the
point of high-productivity tools like OWC is that you don't always need to
know the details.

You mean like showing a "%" when the mouse is over the imddle of the image?
I can guarantee you that this functionality is NOT present in that OWC. So,
what would YOU suggest?

Here's the deal Andy. You can think I'm being a little harsh all you want.
Personally, I tend not to have an opinion when I am not cognizant of the
facts. But that's just logic. Here are the facts, so that you can adjust
your opinion:

An OWC is a black box. It does what it does, nothing more, nothing less.
When that is exactly what you want, you're all set. When it's not, what do
you do then? Logically, you have 2 choices:

1. Change your requirements to fit the OWC.
2. Create your own app.

Obviously, LB did NOT want to change his requirements, since that is
specifically what he asked (his requirements). If he was willing to change
his requirements, he would not have asked the question. Logically, he's left
with one choice. And that was the choice I addressed.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

LB

As a non native english speaker, I won't be able to argue with you about my
"Interesting choice of words".
As a non web/asp developer, I have/had no idea about the possibilty of
event programming that could be done with an image.

However,I searched the MS web site. This is how I was able to info to create
the chart.

I will ignore your sarcasm , and search on how to create the event or get
the coordinate using images in case I do not find the correct properties in
the OWC
Thank you for pointing me out to some directions.

LB

Kevin Spencer

As a non native english reader, don't assume sarcasm where there is none!
I'm very happy to see you running with the ball I passed to you. :)

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

LB,
you can accomplish what you desire by hooking into the OWC event model. The
OWC is built in such a way to provide the developer with access to the low
level internals of the components thru a well-defined interface. You may
need to change the implementation of the chart so that it is not a static
image but rather a live object instance either embedded in the response
stream or in the html page. Then, you can access the tooltip events from the
chart object. I wrote an article about eventing and the OWC here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555162. It's enough
to give you a general idea of what you need to do and how to go about
accomplishing it. But I go into a lot more detail in the Black Book.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc

Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
LB said:
Hello everybody
I'm learning how to create pie chart using OWC.
I'm able now to create a pie.
But I can not figure out how to do the following :

- for each pie, when mousing over, I would like to display the value in a
tooltiptext
- for each pie, I would like to have in the middle, the %.

Any idea where I could find an example (using vb) to accomplish that ?

Thank you
LB

Hi LB,

This is not an answer to your question but a request to you. Would you mind to give the code how you created OWC PIE chart?

Regards,
Dool