Package and Deploy

T.

Hi,

Is there any way that I can "package and deploy" an asp.net app?

When running this app from my workstation, it runs no problem, but when I
access the site from another workstation I'm getting the following:
"system.runtime.interopservices.comexception: server execution failed" on
this line "
Dim objOutlook As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.Application = New
Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.Application"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chanmmn

Make sure you have .Net framework install in the PC that you deploy. So far
I am ok will copy deployment for all my asp.net apps.

chanmm

T.

Dot Net framework is installed, and I've copied over the interop dll which
did not help.

Craig

If you don't have MS Outlook installed on the server, your application
cannot access its object model. I could be wrong, but I don't think
Microsoft allows redistribution of the outlook executable. Are you trying
to send e-mail using the Outlook.Application object?

Craig

T.

Technically, my development workstation is the server, as this is where the
site resides for now, and Outlook is installed.
Outlook is also installed on the client workstation that's trying to access
and send using Outlook.Application object.

This all works when I access the site from the development
workstation...which is way I don't understand why it won't work when I
access it from another workstation.

Craig

In that case, you may be experiencing a permissions issue. The IUSER
account may not have permission to instantiate an outlook object on your
machine.

HTH
Craig

T.

So here's what I've done just to see if this will work at all. I've changed
the anonymous user to be a domain admin account (which has permissions to
everything)...impersonate = true.

I've checked the event log and I'm getting "
Rejected Safe Mode action : Microsoft Office Outlook". So I'm assuming it
is a permissions thing...how can I correct this?

Thanks.

Craig

Are you trying to access the client's outlook or the server's outlook? What
exactly are you trying to do with the outlook object?

Craig

T.

I'm trying to access the client's outlook in order to login using their
profile, and send a task request to another email address.

I'm assuming that right now it's trying to access the server's outlook,
which is causing the app to hang. How can I force it to use the client's
outlook?

Thanks for your help.

Craig

You'll probably have to do that through client-side scripting, but I'm not
so sure you'll want to as it poses a security risk. Surely, you've at least
heard about all of the viruses that propagate themselves through the Outlook
DOM. Outlook will throw up a nastygram informing the user that a program is
trying to access Outlook, and more often than not, your clients will not
allow your script to perform its task.

I don't really think that a web application is the best approach for what
you're trying to do.

Just my two pennies.

HTH
Craig