Page auto-refresh and javascript

Lew

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a page that has a user-selectable page auto-refresh
option (IE 5.5). Essentially, it's a page that contains a checkbox, when
the user checks the checkbox, I'd like the page to auto-refresh every 4
seconds....if the user un-checks the checkbox, I'd like to turn off the auto
refresh.

The page is as follows:

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<%

String action = request.getParameter("chkRefresh");
String refreshCmd = "";

if (action != null) {
refreshCmd = "setInterval('window.location.reload()', 4000);";
} else {
refreshCmd = " ";
action = "off";
}

%>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--

<%=refreshCmd %>

function setAutoRefresh() {
data.submit();
}

//-->
</SCRIPT>

<TITLE>test.jsp</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FORM NAME="data" ACTION="test.jsp" METHOD="post">

<% if (action.equalsIgnoreCase("off")) { %>
<P><INPUT type="checkbox" name="chkRefresh"
onclick="setAutoRefresh()">Auto Refresh OFF</P>
<%} else {%>
<P><INPUT type="checkbox" name="chkRefresh" onclick="setAutoRefresh()"
checked>Auto Refresh ON</P>
<% } %>

</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

This works in that it turns the auto-refresh on when the user checks the
"Auto Refresh" checkbox...however, I keep getting the following pop-up
message:

"The page cannot be refreshed without resending the information. Click Retry
to send the information again, or click Cancel to return to the page that
you were trying to view"

Is there anyway to avoid the above pop-up?

Thanks in advance.

jon

Hi,

It the form method "post" that is causing that message to appear. If
you set it to "get", or do not define it, then that message will not
appear.

<FORM NAME="data" ACTION="test.jsp" METHOD="get">

or

<FORM NAME="data" ACTION="test.jsp">

The trade off is that the "chkRefresh" field will now be appended to
the url.

best,

jon

http://www.gurupika.com/