page load times

Ed Mullen

Long about last July (2007) I moved my Web site from my "free" Comcast
(ISP) provided space to a hosting service. Many benefits but the one
I'm curious about is page/site load time. One of the changes I made
when I made the move was to change the menu structure, especially that
it (and the footer) now loads via PHP includes. PHP was not available
to me on my ISP Web space. It seems to have greatly speeded up the load
of all the pages.

I can, of course, and have, tested it here. And I've asked a few
friends to test it for me. But I am curious what people around the
world see. My experience is that any page on the site loads /very/
quickly. But I am curious about how that works across different global
locales and ISPs.

If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
note of load times.

The main page is: http://edmullen.net

A few "sub" pages:

http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.php
http://edmullen.net/music.php
http://edmullen.net/siteinfo.php

Or just go to the first link and try various pages on the menus. I'm
just trying to get a feel for how such things work outside of a small
test case.

By the way, it's just a hobby site, no revenue generated there.

Thanks in advance.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
am curious what people around the
world see. My experience is that any page on the site loads /very/
quickly. But I am curious about how that works across different global
locales and ISPs.

If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
note of load times.

The main page is: http://edmullen.net

Gee Ed, I got my old stop watch out thinking I could actually get
some meaningful figure. But the page and links load so damn fast
here in Sydney (less than 4 secs for home page) that you maybe
oughta consider slowing it down not to startle people too much.
Realise that there are some folk with bad hearts and like that.
How about a bit of bulky javascript or preload a big picture that
does not actually appear, that should do the trick. <g>

Chaddy2222

[...]

Well I am just north of Colac in South West Victoria Australia and
your pages load in about 4 seconds (i'm on Bigponnd.
It's a broadband conection (256KB).

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:43:29
GMT Ed Mullen scribed:
[...]

Yep, as others have suggested: fast. For me, 4-meg cable, western USA,
appx 1 1/2 secs on all links. But I don't think the speed-increase is
due to php; rather it's a result of changing to a better server.

Btw, are you really that old?

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
Gee Ed, I got my old stop watch out thinking I could actually get
some meaningful figure. But the page and links load so damn fast
here in Sydney (less than 4 secs for home page) that you maybe
oughta consider slowing it down not to startle people too much.
Realise that there are some folk with bad hearts and like that.
How about a bit of bulky javascript or preload a big picture that
does not actually appear, that should do the trick. <g>

LOL. Yeah, that'd be a great step backwards! Kind on the cardiac
challenged but, gee, talk about reverse engineering. :)

It takes about 1.5 seconds for the main page to load here in Atlanta,
GA. I have no idea where the actual server is physically located.
Thanks, dorayme. It's good to know it's that fast from down under. ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:43:29
GMT Ed Mullen scribed:

Yep, as others have suggested: fast. For me, 4-meg cable, western USA,
appx 1 1/2 secs on all links. But I don't think the speed-increase is
due to php; rather it's a result of changing to a better server.

Thanks! I agree that the server accounts for (probably) 95% of the
speed-up. But the extensive back-end changes I made helped too.
Btw, are you really that old?

<g> Depends. If you think I look my age, yes. If you think I look
older, HELL NO!

Turned 57 last August 13th. ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dorayme

Btw, are you really that old?

<g> Depends. If you think I look my age, yes. If you think I look
older, HELL NO!

Turned 57 last August 13th. ;-)[/QUOTE]

It is ridiculous for you two youngsters to be talking like this.

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
<g> Depends. If you think I look my age, yes. If you think I look
older, HELL NO!

Turned 57 last August 13th. ;-)

It is ridiculous for you two youngsters to be talking like this.
[/QUOTE]

Well, of course it is! Heck, I still act as though I'm 12 and,frankly,
most often I feel like it too. :)

well, except on those days when I feel 157. And those are starting to
come along more frequently. Still and all, I think 12 is a relevant
number. If I'm lucky (?) by the time I really do feel 157 I won't
remember that I'm only 77. At which point, assuming that my wife is
still cognizant of who she is, I won't have to worry about who gets all
the money when I croak. Hmm. Although, our financial guy keeps saying:
"Ed! Your biggest problem is going to be figuring out who to leave
all the money to."

I sorta favor "The Little Sisters of The Poor." As long as they agree
to field a football team for the next 30 years. Because I really would
like to see Super Bowl 76 between "The Little Sisters of The Poor" vs.
"The New York Giants."

Of course, I have a horribly perverse sense of humor.

Still, would be pretty funny!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

SAZ

[...]

Chicago area - about 1 second.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:51:21 GMT
Ed Mullen scribed:
Thanks! I agree that the server accounts for (probably) 95% of the
speed-up. But the extensive back-end changes I made helped too.

Sure, I didn't mean to say that improved markup/coding doesn't help, too.
<g> Depends. If you think I look my age, yes. If you think I look
older, HELL NO!

Turned 57 last August 13th. ;-)

Ah, you look good for that age. It was just kinda hard for me to see
because of the glare.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 03:16:01
GMT SAZ scribed:
Chicago area - about 1 second.

Native, -north side, Niles area. I s'pose you're one of them sagacious
south-siders, though.