page load times

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ed Mullen, Feb 3, 2008.

  1. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Long about last July (2007) I moved my Web site from my "free" Comcast
    (ISP) provided space to a hosting service. Many benefits but the one
    I'm curious about is page/site load time. One of the changes I made
    when I made the move was to change the menu structure, especially that
    it (and the footer) now loads via PHP includes. PHP was not available
    to me on my ISP Web space. It seems to have greatly speeded up the load
    of all the pages.

    I can, of course, and have, tested it here. And I've asked a few
    friends to test it for me. But I am curious what people around the
    world see. My experience is that any page on the site loads /very/
    quickly. But I am curious about how that works across different global
    locales and ISPs.

    If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
    note of load times.

    The main page is: http://edmullen.net

    A few "sub" pages:

    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.php
    http://edmullen.net/music.php
    http://edmullen.net/siteinfo.php

    Or just go to the first link and try various pages on the menus. I'm
    just trying to get a feel for how such things work outside of a small
    test case.

    By the way, it's just a hobby site, no revenue generated there.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 3, 2008

  2. Ed Mullen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > am curious what people around the
    > world see. My experience is that any page on the site loads /very/
    > quickly. But I am curious about how that works across different global
    > locales and ISPs.
    >
    > If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
    > note of load times.
    >
    > The main page is: http://edmullen.net

    Gee Ed, I got my old stop watch out thinking I could actually get
    some meaningful figure. But the page and links load so damn fast
    here in Sydney (less than 4 secs for home page) that you maybe
    oughta consider slowing it down not to startle people too much.
    Realise that there are some folk with bad hearts and like that.
    How about a bit of bulky javascript or preload a big picture that
    does not actually appear, that should do the trick. <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 3, 2008

  3. Ed Mullen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
    > note of load times.
    >
    > The main page is: http://edmullen.net

    And, I forgot to mention, I have been listening to some of your
    music. Good man!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 3, 2008
  4. Ed Mullen

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Feb 3, 5:43 pm, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > Long about last July (2007) I moved my Web site from my "free" Comcast
    > (ISP) provided space to a hosting service.  Many benefits but the one
    > I'm curious about is page/site load time.  One of the changes I made
    > when I made the move was to change the menu structure, especially that
    > it (and the footer) now loads via PHP includes.  PHP was not available
    > to me on my ISP Web space.  It seems to have greatly speeded up the load
    > of all the pages.
    >
    > I can, of course, and have, tested it here.  And I've asked a few
    > friends to test it for me.  But I am curious what people around the
    > world see.  My experience is that any page on the site loads /very/
    > quickly.  But I am curious about how that works across different global
    > locales and ISPs.
    >
    > If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
    > note of load times.
    >
    > The main page is:  http://edmullen.net
    >
    > A few "sub" pages:
    >
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.phphttp://edmullen.net/music.phphttp://edmullen.net/siteinfo.php
    >
    > Or just go to the first link and try various pages on the menus.  I'm
    > just trying to get a feel for how such things work outside of a small
    > test case.
    >
    > By the way, it's just a hobby site, no revenue generated there.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Well I am just north of Colac in South West Victoria Australia and
    your pages load in about 4 seconds (i'm on Bigponnd.
    It's a broadband conection (256KB).

    Chaddy2222, Feb 3, 2008
  5. Ed Mullen

    Els Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
    > note of load times.
    >
    > The main page is: http://edmullen.net

    Like dorayme said, too fast to monitor :)
    Even the ones with pictures in them just load instantly.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Feb 3, 2008
  6. Ed Mullen

    John Hosking Guest

    John Hosking, Feb 3, 2008
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 3, 2008
  8. Ed Mullen

    Paul Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> ha scritto nel messaggio news:...
    > Long about last July (2007) I moved cut

    Here in Italy the time to load your page is about 1.5 seconds - (I have a 12Mbps adsl).
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 3, 2008
  9. Ed Mullen

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:43:29
    GMT Ed Mullen scribed:

    > Long about last July (2007) I moved my Web site from my "free" Comcast
    > (ISP) provided space to a hosting service. Many benefits but the one
    > I'm curious about is page/site load time. One of the changes I made
    > when I made the move was to change the menu structure, especially that
    > it (and the footer) now loads via PHP includes. PHP was not available
    > to me on my ISP Web space. It seems to have greatly speeded up the
    > load of all the pages.
    >
    > I can, of course, and have, tested it here. And I've asked a few
    > friends to test it for me. But I am curious what people around the
    > world see. My experience is that any page on the site loads /very/
    > quickly. But I am curious about how that works across different
    > global locales and ISPs.
    >
    > If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and
    > take note of load times.
    >
    > The main page is: http://edmullen.net
    >
    > A few "sub" pages:
    >
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.php
    > http://edmullen.net/music.php
    > http://edmullen.net/siteinfo.php
    >
    > Or just go to the first link and try various pages on the menus. I'm
    > just trying to get a feel for how such things work outside of a small
    > test case.

    Yep, as others have suggested: fast. For me, 4-meg cable, western USA,
    appx 1 1/2 secs on all links. But I don't think the speed-increase is
    due to php; rather it's a result of changing to a better server.

    Btw, are you really that old?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Feb 3, 2008
  10. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> am curious what people around the
    >> world see. My experience is that any page on the site loads /very/
    >> quickly. But I am curious about how that works across different global
    >> locales and ISPs.
    >>
    >> If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
    >> note of load times.
    >>
    >> The main page is: http://edmullen.net
    >>

    > Gee Ed, I got my old stop watch out thinking I could actually get
    > some meaningful figure. But the page and links load so damn fast
    > here in Sydney (less than 4 secs for home page) that you maybe
    > oughta consider slowing it down not to startle people too much.
    > Realise that there are some folk with bad hearts and like that.
    > How about a bit of bulky javascript or preload a big picture that
    > does not actually appear, that should do the trick. <g>

    LOL. Yeah, that'd be a great step backwards! Kind on the cardiac
    challenged but, gee, talk about reverse engineering. :)

    It takes about 1.5 seconds for the main page to load here in Atlanta,
    GA. I have no idea where the actual server is physically located.
    Thanks, dorayme. It's good to know it's that fast from down under. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 3, 2008
  11. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
    >> note of load times.
    >>
    >> The main page is: http://edmullen.net

    > And, I forgot to mention, I have been listening to some of your
    > music. Good man!

    Well, thank you! Much appreciated. I'll have to see if I still have a
    recording of me doing "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" for you.
    By Eric Bogle, one of your fellow Australians.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 3, 2008
  12. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Chaddy2222 wrote:

    > Well I am just north of Colac in South West Victoria Australia and
    > your pages load in about 4 seconds (i'm on Bigponnd.
    > It's a broadband conection (256KB).

    Thanks, Chaddy. Good to know. My cable connection here is 6 Mbps and
    it loads in about 1.5 secs.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 3, 2008
  13. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:43:29
    > GMT Ed Mullen scribed:
    >

    >> Or just go to the first link and try various pages on the menus. I'm
    >> just trying to get a feel for how such things work outside of a small
    >> test case.

    > Yep, as others have suggested: fast. For me, 4-meg cable, western USA,
    > appx 1 1/2 secs on all links. But I don't think the speed-increase is
    > due to php; rather it's a result of changing to a better server.

    Thanks! I agree that the server accounts for (probably) 95% of the
    speed-up. But the extensive back-end changes I made helped too.

    > Btw, are you really that old?

    <g> Depends. If you think I look my age, yes. If you think I look
    older, HELL NO!

    Turned 57 last August 13th. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 3, 2008
  14. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Or just go to the first link and try various pages on the menus. I'm
    > just trying to get a feel for how such things work outside of a small
    > test case.
    >
    > By the way, it's just a hobby site, no revenue generated there.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    And thanks to all after the fact!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 3, 2008
  15. Ed Mullen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > > Btw, are you really that old?
    > >

    > <g> Depends. If you think I look my age, yes. If you think I look
    > older, HELL NO!
    >
    > Turned 57 last August 13th. ;-)

    It is ridiculous for you two youngsters to be talking like this.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 3, 2008
  16. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Btw, are you really that old?
    >>>

    >> <g> Depends. If you think I look my age, yes. If you think I look
    >> older, HELL NO!
    >>
    >> Turned 57 last August 13th. ;-)

    > It is ridiculous for you two youngsters to be talking like this.

    Well, of course it is! Heck, I still act as though I'm 12 and,frankly,
    most often I feel like it too. :)

    well, except on those days when I feel 157. And those are starting to
    come along more frequently. Still and all, I think 12 is a relevant
    number. If I'm lucky (?) by the time I really do feel 157 I won't
    remember that I'm only 77. At which point, assuming that my wife is
    still cognizant of who she is, I won't have to worry about who gets all
    the money when I croak. Hmm. Although, our financial guy keeps saying:
    "Ed! Your biggest problem is going to be figuring out who to leave
    all the money to."

    I sorta favor "The Little Sisters of The Poor." As long as they agree
    to field a football team for the next 30 years. Because I really would
    like to see Super Bowl 76 between "The Little Sisters of The Poor" vs.
    "The New York Giants."

    Of course, I have a horribly perverse sense of humor.

    Still, would be pretty funny!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 4, 2008
  17. Ed Mullen

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Long about last July (2007) I moved my Web site from my "free" Comcast
    > (ISP) provided space to a hosting service. Many benefits but the one
    > I'm curious about is page/site load time. One of the changes I made
    > when I made the move was to change the menu structure, especially that
    > it (and the footer) now loads via PHP includes. PHP was not available
    > to me on my ISP Web space. It seems to have greatly speeded up the load
    > of all the pages.
    >
    > I can, of course, and have, tested it here. And I've asked a few
    > friends to test it for me. But I am curious what people around the
    > world see. My experience is that any page on the site loads /very/
    > quickly. But I am curious about how that works across different global
    > locales and ISPs.
    >
    > If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
    > note of load times.
    >
    > The main page is: http://edmullen.net
    >
    > A few "sub" pages:
    >
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.php
    > http://edmullen.net/music.php
    > http://edmullen.net/siteinfo.php
    >
    > Or just go to the first link and try various pages on the menus. I'm
    > just trying to get a feel for how such things work outside of a small
    > test case.
    >
    > By the way, it's just a hobby site, no revenue generated there.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Chicago area - about 1 second.

    SAZ, Feb 4, 2008
  18. Ed Mullen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    SAZ <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...

    > > If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and take
    > > note of load times.
    > >
    > > The main page is: http://edmullen.net
    > >

    > Chicago area - about 1 second.

    What is next? Ed's site loading *before* the url is activated?
    In less than positive time? Like -3.7 secs?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 4, 2008
  19. Ed Mullen

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:51:21 GMT
    Ed Mullen scribed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:43:29
    >> GMT Ed Mullen scribed:
    >>

    >>> Or just go to the first link and try various pages on the menus. I'm
    >>> just trying to get a feel for how such things work outside of a small
    >>> test case.

    >> Yep, as others have suggested: fast. For me, 4-meg cable, western USA,
    >> appx 1 1/2 secs on all links. But I don't think the speed-increase is
    >> due to php; rather it's a result of changing to a better server.

    > Thanks! I agree that the server accounts for (probably) 95% of the
    > speed-up. But the extensive back-end changes I made helped too.

    Sure, I didn't mean to say that improved markup/coding doesn't help, too.

    >> Btw, are you really that old?
    >>

    > <g> Depends. If you think I look my age, yes. If you think I look
    > older, HELL NO!
    >
    > Turned 57 last August 13th. ;-)

    Ah, you look good for that age. It was just kinda hard for me to see
    because of the glare.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Feb 4, 2008
  20. Ed Mullen

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 03:16:01
    GMT SAZ scribed:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> If you have the time I will be grateful if you visited my site and
    >> take note of load times.
    >>
    >> The main page is: http://edmullen.net
    >>
    >> A few "sub" pages:
    >>
    >> http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.php
    >> http://edmullen.net/music.php
    >> http://edmullen.net/siteinfo.php
    >>
    >> Or just go to the first link and try various pages on the menus. I'm
    >> just trying to get a feel for how such things work outside of a small
    >> test case.
    >>
    >> By the way, it's just a hobby site, no revenue generated there.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > Chicago area - about 1 second.

    Native, -north side, Niles area. I s'pose you're one of them sagacious
    south-siders, though.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.