page protection

Roy

Hi All
Does anyone know an html line that will do page protection. I am looking to
disable right clicking on a webpage so a user can't download an image or
view our html code
Thanks a bunch!
Roy

Whitecrest

Does anyone know an html line that will do page protection. I am looking to
disable right clicking on a webpage so a user can't download an image or
view our html code
Thanks a bunch!

<DISABLE action='RIGHT_CLICK'>

The rest of your html goes here, and note you can also disable the Left
mouse button by changing the RIGHT_CLICK to LEFT_CLICK

</DISABLE>

That should work on as many browsers as the javascript solutions will
work on, and you don't need to know Javascript.

Hywel Jenkins

<DISABLE action='RIGHT_CLICK'>

The rest of your html goes here, and note you can also disable the Left
mouse button by changing the RIGHT_CLICK to LEFT_CLICK

</DISABLE>

That should work on as many browsers as the javascript solutions will
work on, and you don't need to know Javascript.

Note that this only works with the appropriate DTD.
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php?01
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php?02
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php?22
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php?39
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php?67

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Roy:
Hi All Does anyone know an html line that will do page protection.
I am looking to disable right clicking on a webpage so a user can't
download an image or view our html code Thanks a bunch! Roy

Don't even bother. It's impossible to hide your code---unless of
course you don't post it on the web.

I was just interviewing with a potential client for a rewrite of an
old site. It was originally done by some kid. Imagine how surprised
the client was when I right-clicked on a page and up came this
JavaScript dialog box:

"Nice try!!!!! MUHAHAHA!!!!"

Needless to say, the non-right-clicking client was *not* amused. (I
think I will get the job.)

Richard

Roy said:
Hi All
Does anyone know an html line that will do page protection. I am looking
to disable right clicking on a webpage so a user can't download an image
or view our html code
Thanks a bunch!
Roy

So how would that prevent me from saving your web page as a file?
I already have it in my cache files, so what?
Now that I have your web page as a file, open it in my html editor and do
with as I please.
Then what if I use a mac?

With IE, I can save the page in a variety of ways.
One way creates a folder with all your images in it.
So who needs to right click?

Oh and by the way, you don't tell me I can't use the right click because
it's not your decision to make.
If you want to protect your images, slap "copyright" across the image in
some way it can't be edited out easily.
Or your domain name.

Roy

I try to go to your no right clicking link on your page but i am getting a
404 file not found, could you post the correct link?
Thanks!!
Roy

Daniel Ruscoe

Hi Roy
Does anyone know an html line that will do page protection.

Nope. Protection is done by .htaccess.
I am looking to disable right clicking
Oh.

so a user can't download an image or view our html code

It's a well known fact that the amount a webmaster wishes to stop people
viewing his code is indirectly proportional to how much people will want
to steal it.

You can use Javascript for this, but don't. I paid a lot of money for
this cool optical mouse, and I want to use all the buttons.

Besides, nothing will stop people stealing your images/code if they want
to. Google for "javascript right click disable" then add it to your
page. Post the URL here and I'll post a few of your images on my server
to show you how useless it is.
Thanks a bunch!

No problem!

Daniel Ruscoe
http://www.dualstone.co.uk
Web design in Bolton, Manchester

Andrew Davidson

Roy said:
Hi All
Hello

Does anyone know an html line that will do page protection.

No. No one does. It can't be done
I am looking to
disable right clicking on a webpage

That's a bad idea.
so a user can't download an image or
view our html code

That doesn't follow. Disabling right-clicking will not prevent those things,
because nothing can.
Thanks a bunch!
Roy

You're welcome.

delerious

It's a well known fact that the amount a webmaster wishes to stop people
viewing his code is indirectly proportional to how much people will want

I think you meant "inversely," and not "indirectly."

rf

Roy said:
Hi All
Does anyone know an html line that will do page protection. I am looking to
disable right clicking on a webpage so a user can't download an image or

Don't forget to disable left click as well. That's the one I use to
drag/drop images onto my image/html editor.

Cheers
Richard.

delerious

Don't forget to disable left click as well. That's the one I use to
drag/drop images onto my image/html editor.

Also, don't forget to disable the keyboard. Otherwise the user can hit the
Alt key, then hit the right arrow key a couple of times, and then hit the down
arrow key a few times and then hit Enter to view the source.

Michael Fesser

Don't forget to disable left click as well. That's the one I use to
drag/drop images onto my image/html editor.

Also, don't forget to disable the keyboard. [...]

And don't forget to prevent people using Opera and some other recent
browsers from viewing your site, because these browsers simply ignore
the attempt to capture mouse-events.

Micha

A Hess

Somewhere around 1/5/04 8:21 PM, (e-mail address removed) typed wildly with
reckless abandon:
Also, don't forget to disable the keyboard. Otherwise the user can hit the
Alt key, then hit the right arrow key a couple of times, and then hit the down
arrow key a few times and then hit Enter to view the source.

Oh, and don't forget to add that bit of code that deletes every .jpg,
..gif, and .html file on the users hard drive... just to be safe.

Whitecrest

Oh, and don't forget to add that bit of code that deletes every .jpg,
.gif, and .html file on the users hard drive... just to be safe.

We are a condescending group arn't we....