Page Update

sconeek

Hi all,

i am working on a java based web application.

now i need to access some information stored in a postgres DB in near
real time. at the moment i am refreshing my page every 5sec to get that
information, which is also putting a huge strain on tomcat and hence
chewing up a lot of my memory.

now my question is,
is there a way to display updated information on the screen without
constantly updating it. i was thinking of using javascript sockets,
which will receive information when there is a change within the db and
only then refresh, instead of refreshing every 5sec.

i am sure somebody must have had the same problem and could suggest a
solution. i was also thinking of ajax, but i am not sure about that.
something on the client side would be handy.

thanks to all.

Evertjan.

wrote on 13 apr 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
i am working on a java based web application.

Wrong NG, this is for javascript.

Javascript != Java [script]

Evertjan.

TheBagbournes wrote on 15 apr 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
Evertjan. said:
wrote on 13 apr 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
i am working on a java based web application.

Wrong NG, this is for javascript.

Javascript != Java [script]

That was a bit hasty!

Did you mean 'nasty'? ;-}
The OP seems to be after an AJAX type solution to updating a page, the
Java bit was just background.

I am not so good at those guessing games.

sconeek

thanks for the replies guys. i am looking for a javascript based
solution, hence am posting on this NG.