Page_Load gets called twice

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by fiefie.niles@gmail.com, Apr 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am using ASP.NET 2005 and I have a simple form. Page_Load calls a
    sub mySub that does not do anything (for testing purposes). But,
    Page_Load gets called twice.
    On every single ASPX page in my site, Page_Load gets called twice. Why
    is that and how can I fix this problem ?
    Thank you very much.

    Imports System.IO
    Namespace myProject
    Partial Class WebForm1
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    Protected WithEvents HyperLink1 As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.HyperLink

    <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()>
    Private Sub InitializeComponent()
    End Sub

    Private Sub Page_Init(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
    As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
    'CODEGEN: This method call is required by the Web Form
    Designer
    InitializeComponent()
    End Sub
    #End Region

    Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
    As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load, Me.Load
    mySub()
    End Sub
    Sub mySub()
    End Sub
    End Class
    End Namespace
    , Apr 30, 2007

  2. Are you setting AutoEventWireup to true
    (or are you not defining it, since by default it is true) ?

    Page events are automatically bound to methods that use the naming convention of
    Page_event, such as Page_Load, when you set AutoEventWireup to true or not set it to false.

    If you set AutoEventWireup to true, and then use the Handles statement,
    you will get Page events called twice, once by AutoEventWireup,
    and again when you use Handles.

    Test by setting AutoEventWireup to false, or by eliminating the Handles statement.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 30, 2007

    Thank you for your reply.

    >Are you setting AutoEventWireup to true ?

    Do I find this in the myPage.aspx ?
    This is what it says in myPage.aspx:
    Inherits="Auction.WebForm1" CodeFile="myPage.aspx.vb" %>
    I do not define/change it, it is like that already. Does it mean that
    it is set to False ?

    > Test by setting AutoEventWireup to false, or by eliminating the Handles statement.

    How can I eliminate the Handles statement ?

    Thank you.

    On Apr 29, 7:16 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
    > Are you setting AutoEventWireup to true
    > (or are you not defining it, since by default it is true) ?
    >
    > Page events are automatically bound to methods that use the naming convention of
    > Page_event, such as Page_Load, when you set AutoEventWireup to true or not set it to false.
    >
    > If you set AutoEventWireup to true, and then use the Handles statement,
    > you will get Page events called twice, once by AutoEventWireup,
    > and again when you use Handles.
    >
    > Test by setting AutoEventWireup to false, or by eliminating the Handles statement.
    >
    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ===================================<> wrote in message

    > >I am using ASP.NET 2005 and I have a simple form. Page_Load calls a
    > > sub mySub that does not do anything (for testing purposes). But,
    > > Page_Load gets called twice.
    > > On every single ASPX page in my site, Page_Load gets called twice. Why
    > > is that and how can I fix this problem ?
    > > Thank you very much.

    > > Imports System.IO
    > > Namespace myProject
    > > Partial Class WebForm1
    > > Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    > > Protected WithEvents HyperLink1 As
    > > System.Web.UI.WebControls.HyperLink

    > > #Region " Web Form Designer Generated Code "
    > > 'This call is required by the Web Form Designer.
    > > <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()>
    > > Private Sub InitializeComponent()
    > > End Sub

    > > Private Sub Page_Init(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
    > > As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
    > > 'CODEGEN: This method call is required by the Web Form
    > > Designer
    > > 'Do not modify it using the code editor.
    > > InitializeComponent()
    > > End Sub
    > > #End Region

    > > Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
    > > As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load, Me.Load
    > > mySub()
    > > End Sub
    > > Sub mySub()
    > > End Sub
    > > End Class
    > > End Namespace- Hide quoted text -

    , Apr 30, 2007
  4. re:
    !> This is what it says in myPage.aspx:
    !> <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
    !> Does it mean that it is set to False ?

    Yes, it is set to false.

    re:
    > How can I eliminate the Handles statement ?

    Since you already have AutoEventWireup set to false, all you have to do is eliminate
    the double-loading of the code base. i.e., you currently have this :

    Protected Sub Page_Load(...) Handles MyBase.Load, Me.Load

    That loads the code twice ( once with MyBase.Load and again with Me.Load )
    In ASP.NET 1.1 you could get away with that, but 2.0 is a bit stricter.

    Use :
    Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
    MyBase.Load

    If you set AutoEventWireup to true, you wouldn't need the Handles method, and you could use :

    Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================
    <> wrote in message
    Thank you for your reply.

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 30, 2007

    Thank you very much for your help.
    Your suggestion to eliminate Me.Load from the Page_Load works !
    Thanks a lot !

    So, I have to do this on every page ?
    Do you know why ASP.Net 2005 default both Me.Load and MyBase.Load ?
    Is there any need to call up Page_Load twice ?

    THanks again for your help.

    On Apr 30, 2:59 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > > Namespace myProject
    > > > Partial Class WebForm1
    > > > Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    > > > Protected WithEvents HyperLink1 As
    > > > System.Web.UI.WebControls.HyperLink

    > > > #Region " Web Form Designer Generated Code "
    > > > 'This call is required by the Web Form Designer.
    > > > <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()>
    > > > Private Sub InitializeComponent()
    > > > End Sub

    > > > Private Sub Page_Init(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
    > > > As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
    > > > 'CODEGEN: This method call is required by the Web Form
    > > > Designer
    > > > 'Do not modify it using the code editor.
    > > > InitializeComponent()
    > > > End Sub
    > > > #End Region

    > > > Protected SubPage_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
    > > > As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load, Me.Load

    , May 1, 2007

    One more info: these pages were converted from ASP.NET 2003 to ASP.NET
    2005 using the wizard in Visual Studio 2005. Do you think that's why
    all my pages have both MyBase.Load and Me.Load in the Page_Load ?
    Thanks

    On Apr 30, 2:59 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > > Namespace myProject
    > > > Partial Class WebForm1
    > > > Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    > > > Protected WithEvents HyperLink1 As
    > > > System.Web.UI.WebControls.HyperLink

    > > > #Region " Web Form Designer Generated Code "
    > > > 'This call is required by the Web Form Designer.
    > > > <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()>
    > > > Private Sub InitializeComponent()
    > > > End Sub

    > > > Private Sub Page_Init(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
    > > > As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
    > > > 'CODEGEN: This method call is required by the Web Form
    > > > Designer
    > > > 'Do not modify it using the code editor.
    > > > InitializeComponent()
    > > > End Sub
    > > > #End Region

    > > > Protected SubPage_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
    > > > As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load, Me.Load

  7. re:
    !> these pages were converted from ASP.NET 2003 to ASP.NET
    !> 2005 using the wizard in Visual Studio 2005. Do you think that's why
    !> all my pages have both MyBase.Load and Me.Load in the Page_Load ?

    Short answer : yes.

    Juan T. Llibre, May 1, 2007

    Thanks again.
    Do you know if there is ever any need to call up Page_Load twice ?

    On Apr 30, 8:14 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > I do not define/change it, it is like that already. Does it mean that
    > > it is set to False ?

    > > > Test by setting AutoEventWireup to false, or by eliminating the Handles statement.

    > > How can I eliminate the Handles statement ?

    > > Thank you.

    > > On Apr 29, 7:16 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > Are you setting AutoEventWireup to true
    > > > (or are you not defining it, since by default it is true) ?

    > > > Page events are automatically bound to methods that use the naming convention of
    > > > Page_event, such asPage_Load, when you set AutoEventWireup to true or not set it to false.

    > > > If you set AutoEventWireup to true, and then use the Handles statement,
    > > > you will get Page eventscalledtwice, once by AutoEventWireup,
    > > > and again when you use Handles.

    > > > Test by setting AutoEventWireup to false, or by eliminating the Handles statement.

  9. re:
    > Do you know if there is ever any need to call up Page_Load twice ?

    None whatsoever.

    Juan T. Llibre, May 1, 2007

    Thanks !

    On Apr 30, 10:58 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
    > re:
    >
    > > Do you know if there is ever any need to call upPage_Loadtwice?

    > None whatsoever.
    >
    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ===================================<> wrote in message

    > Thanks again.
    > Do you know if there is ever any need to call upPage_Loadtwice?
    >
    > On Apr 30, 8:14 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > re:
    > > !> these pages were converted from ASP.NET 2003 to ASP.NET
    > > !> 2005 using the wizard in Visual Studio 2005. Do you think that's why
    > > !> all my pages have both MyBase.Load and Me.Load in thePage_Load?

    > > Short answer : yes.

    > > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > ===================================<> wrote in message

    > > One more info: these pages were converted from ASP.NET 2003 to ASP.NET
    > > 2005 using the wizard in Visual Studio 2005. Do you think that's why
    > > all my pages have both MyBase.Load and Me.Load in thePage_Load?
    > > Thanks

    > > On Apr 30, 2:59 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > re:
    > > > !> This is what it says in myPage.aspx:
    > > > !> <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
    > > > !> Does it mean that it is set to False ?

    > > > Yes, it is set to false.

    > > > re:

    > > > Since you already have AutoEventWireup set to false, all you have to do is eliminate
    > > > the double-loading of the code base. i.e., you currently have this :

    > > > Protected SubPage_Load(...) Handles MyBase.Load, Me.Load

    > > > That loads the codetwice( once with MyBase.Load and again with Me.Load )
    > > > In ASP.NET 1.1 you could get away with that, but 2.0 is a bit stricter.

    > > > Use :
    > > > Protected SubPage_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
    > > > MyBase.Load

    > > > If you set AutoEventWireup to true, you wouldn't need the Handles method, and you could use :

    > > > Protected SubPage_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

    > > > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > > > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > > ===================================<> wrote in message

    > > > Thank you for your reply.

    > > > Do I find this in the myPage.aspx ?
    > > > This is what it says in myPage.aspx:
    > > > <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
    > > > Inherits="Auction.WebForm1" CodeFile="myPage.aspx.vb" %>
    > > > I do not define/change it, it is like that already. Does it mean that
    > > > it is set to False ?

    > > > How can I eliminate the Handles statement ?

    > > > Thank you.

    , May 1, 2007
  11. On Apr 30, 3:59 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
    > re:
    > !> This is what it says in myPage.aspx:
    > !> <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
    > !> Does it mean that it is set to False ?
    >
    > Yes, it is set to false.
    >
    > re:
    >
    > > How can I eliminate the Handles statement ?

    > Since you already have AutoEventWireup set to false, all you have to do is eliminate
    > the double-loading of the code base. i.e., you currently have this :
    >
    > Protected Sub Page_Load(...) Handles MyBase.Load, Me.Load
    >
    > That loads the code twice ( once with MyBase.Load and again with Me.Load )
    > In ASP.NET 1.1 you could get away with that, but 2.0 is a bit stricter.
    >
    > Use :
    > Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
    > MyBase.Load

    Juan,
    I understand that the problem that you pointed out, but I'm curious
    why would have Page_Load handle MyBase.Load as opposed to Me.Load?

    Thanks,
    John

    John Berberich, May 1, 2007
  12. re:
    !>why would have Page_Load handle MyBase.Load as opposed to Me.Load?

    Hi, John.

    Please read through this thread:

    It's an excellent discussion which will clarify the concepts.

    Basically, only the base class has the Load event (in this case)
    but the derived class *can* handle this event if it desires.

    That's why the Handles is MyBase.Load rather than Me.Load.

    Since Me refers to the derived class, it doesn't have
    any events except the ones that it explicity creates.

    You *could* choose to use Me.Load instead of MyBase.Load,
    but you'd have to be careful and override any specific events wanted.

    This doesn't appear to make much sense in inline code, but in code-behind,
    and if you're deriving a custom class from the Page class, it could be critical.

    Me ? I take the easy way out. I use AutoEventWireup="true" and inline code.

    Look, ma, no Handles ( and no "Me" ) !

    :)

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================
    "John Berberich" <> wrote in message

    Juan T. Llibre, May 1, 2007
  13. prasanth k Guest

    how can i solve this problem using C#.net

    how can i solve this problem using C#.net
    because in C# there is no handles clause

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:

    Re: Page_Load gets called twice
    01-May-07

    re

    http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/6/34488.asp

    foros de asp.net, en espa?ol : http://asp.net.do/foros
    ==================================
    On Apr 30, 3:59 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <
    wrote

    Juan
    I understand that the problem that you pointed out, but I'm curiou
    why would have Page_Load handle MyBase.Load as opposed to Me.Load

    Thanks
    John

    Repository Factory, GridView and ObjectDataSource with WebService Layer
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...d0-a7a2991a79d4/repository-factory-gridv.aspx
    prasanth k, Oct 5, 2009