    would modify the web browser in my mobile telephone, so it ignores attempts
    to set the return address to the current page.

    Anders
    Anders Skelander, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Anders Skelander

    Jay Guest

    "Anders Skelander" <> wrote in message
    news:1fgJb.2843$...

    > I use my computer, and also my mobile phone, a lot to search for
    > information, typically with www.google.com.
    >
    > Some web pages seem to contain control information, that affects my web
    > browser so the "back" function, which returns to the previous page does

    not
    > work. Instead, "back" leads to the same page or to a related page.

    It's usually because someone placed an redirecting meta tag in their page.
    You hit the back button and it goes to the redirect page which appears as if
    your back button isn't working.

    - J
    Jay, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Anders Skelander

    Richard Guest

    Anders Skelander wrote:

    > I use my computer, and also my mobile phone, a lot to search for
    > information, typically with www.google.com.

    > Some web pages seem to contain control information, that affects my web
    > browser so the "back" function, which returns to the previous page does
    > not work. Instead, "back" leads to the same page or to a related page.

    > Particularly if I am reviewing a google result list on the mobile
    > telephone. It happens that I have read (for example) 15 out of 30
    > matches, and then it is not possible to return from a matching page to
    > the result list. On the desktop computer, there are ways to bypass this
    > situation and return to the result list, on the mobile telephone, it is
    > not.

    > I understand that in some cases, it makes sense to let (what I call) the
    > "back" function lead to some other page than the previous one. If I
    > could, I would modify the web browser in my mobile telephone, so it
    > ignores attempts to set the return address to the current page.

    > Anders

    Try using the history list.
    Richard, Jan 2, 2004
  4. "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > "Anders Skelander" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I use my computer, and also my mobile phone, a lot to search for
    > > information, typically with www.google.com.
    > >
    > > Some web pages seem to contain control information, that affects my web
    > > browser so the "back" function, which returns to the previous page does

    > not
    > > work. Instead, "back" leads to the same page or to a related page.

    > It's usually because someone placed an redirecting meta tag in their page.
    > You hit the back button and it goes to the redirect page which appears as

    if
    > your back button isn't working.

    Solution = hit back twice really quickly.
    nirvanasource, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Anders Skelander

    m Guest

    Anders Skelander wrote:

    > I understand that in some cases, it makes sense to let (what I call) the
    > "back" function lead to some other page than the previous one. If I could,
    > I would modify the web browser in my mobile telephone, so it ignores
    > attempts to set the return address to the current page.

    It's often done with a javascript call, or from a flash page.
    Turning those off will help in many cases, but may leave you no
    way to navigate badly written pages.

    Your browser may also allow you to turn off popup windows, which
    also interfere with the natural flow of history like a wormhole.

    Using a tabbed browser, opening new pages in new tabs, is also
    helpful.
    --
    cheers, m
    m, Jan 2, 2004