Pages you can not return from

Anders Skelander

I use my computer, and also my mobile phone, a lot to search for
information, typically with www.google.com.

Some web pages seem to contain control information, that affects my web
browser so the "back" function, which returns to the previous page does not
work. Instead, "back" leads to the same page or to a related page.

Particularly if I am reviewing a google result list on the mobile telephone.
It happens that I have read (for example) 15 out of 30 matches, and then it
is not possible to return from a matching page to the result list. On the
desktop computer, there are ways to bypass this situation and return to the
result list, on the mobile telephone, it is not.

I understand that in some cases, it makes sense to let (what I call) the
"back" function lead to some other page than the previous one. If I could, I
would modify the web browser in my mobile telephone, so it ignores attempts
to set the return address to the current page.

Anders

Jay

Anders Skelander said:
I use my computer, and also my mobile phone, a lot to search for
information, typically with www.google.com.

Some web pages seem to contain control information, that affects my web
browser so the "back" function, which returns to the previous page does not
work. Instead, "back" leads to the same page or to a related page.

It's usually because someone placed an redirecting meta tag in their page.
You hit the back button and it goes to the redirect page which appears as if
your back button isn't working.

- J

Richard

Anders Skelander wrote:

[...]

Try using the history list.

nirvanasource

Jay said:
It's usually because someone placed an redirecting meta tag in their page.
You hit the back button and it goes to the redirect page which appears as if
your back button isn't working.

Solution = hit back twice really quickly.

Anders said:
I understand that in some cases, it makes sense to let (what I call) the
"back" function lead to some other page than the previous one. If I could,
I would modify the web browser in my mobile telephone, so it ignores
attempts to set the return address to the current page.

It's often done with a javascript call, or from a flash page.
Turning those off will help in many cases, but may leave you no
way to navigate badly written pages.

Your browser may also allow you to turn off popup windows, which
also interfere with the natural flow of history like a wormhole.

Using a tabbed browser, opening new pages in new tabs, is also
helpful.