Parallelization on multi-CPU hardware?

P.M.

Hi,

I'm working on an C++/embedded-Python application that will run on
multi-CPU hardware and I need to efficiently distribute the execution
of multiple scripts across the CPUs. I'm embedding Python using the
Boost Python library.

My question is, how can I best parallelize the running of separate
autonomous Python scripts within this app? Can I run multiple
interpreters in separate threads within a single process? In past
newsgroup messages I've seen advice that the only way to get
scalability, due to the GIL, is to use an IPC mechanism between
multiple distinct processes running seperate interpreters. Is this
still true or are there better ways to accomplish this?

Thanks
Peter