parent of an orphaned process-info about perl and OS version.

madhav_a_kelkar

Hi,

I am using perl 5.8.0 compiled with threads. I am using Linux
Redhat 9.0. Is there anything else that you may need?

Regards,

Madhav.

Sherm Pendley

I am using perl 5.8.0 compiled with threads. I am using Linux
Redhat 9.0. Is there anything else that you may need?

A question would be a good start.

sherm--

Tad McClellan

Subject: parent of an orphaned process

That is nonsensical.

If it is an orphan, then it *has no* parent, by definition.

If it does have a parent, then you can't call it an "orphan".

Chris Mattern

Tad said:
That is nonsensical.

If it is an orphan, then it *has no* parent, by definition.

'Course it does. The parent of all orphans is init (PID 1).
It might help if we knew what the heck the OP actually wanted,
though.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Ben Morrow

Quoth (e-mail address removed):
That is nonsensical.

If it is an orphan, then it *has no* parent, by definition.

If it does have a parent, then you can't call it an "orphan".

Strictly true, perhaps; but it is usual in Unix terms to call a process
whose (immediate) parent has died an 'orphan'. The process is then
inherited by init(8), process 1, so it acquires a new parent. At this
point the parent-child analogy breaks down :).

Ben