Parsing a graph image

Bastian Ballmann

Hi python lovers out there,

I am searching for a library to parse data from a graph in an image file
something like http://pytseries.sourceforge.net/_images/yahoo.png
Any suggestions, hints, links?

TIA && have a nice day! :)

Basti

Ulrich Eckhardt

Bastian said:
I am searching for a library to parse data from a graph in an image file
something like http://pytseries.sourceforge.net/_images/yahoo.png
Any suggestions, hints, links?

I'm not sure I understand 100% what you want. If you want to extract
("parse") the data that is contained in an image file, I have no clue how to
do that.

However, if you want to create such images and you already have the data,
that should be as easy as picking the right library for that. I did a short
search of Packages available for Debian and it gave me these:

python-magics++ - python support for Magics++
python-matplotlib - Python based plotting system in a style similar to
Matlab
python-mpmath - library for arbitrary-precision floating-point arithmetic
python-plplot - Python support for PLplot, a plotting library
python-qwt3d-qt3 - Python bindings of the QwtPlot3D library
python-qwt3d-qt4 - Python bindings of the QwtPlot3D library
python-qwt5-qt3 - Python version of the Qwt5 technical widget library
python-qwt5-qt4 - Python version of the Qwt5 technical widget library
python-pybiggles - Scientific plotting package for Python
python-chaco - interactive plotting application toolkit
python-gnuplot - A Python interface to the gnuplot plotting program
python-pychart - Python library for creating high quality charts
python-simpy - python-based simulation package
python-scitools - Python library for scientific computing
python-sympy - Computer Algebra System (CAS) in Python
python-viper - minimalistic scientific plotter and run-time visualization
module

Good luck!

Uli

Bastian Ballmann

Hi,

Am Fri, 13 May 2011 14:01:48 +0200
schrieb Ulrich Eckhardt said:
I'm not sure I understand 100% what you want. If you want to extract
("parse") the data that is contained in an image file, I have no clue
how to do that.

Yes, I want to extract the data that is contained in an image file.
Greets

Basti

Laurent Claessens

Yes, I want to extract the data that is contained in an image file.
Greets

Maybe ask to imagemagick's or matplotlib. They should know if it is
possible at all.

Good luck.
Laurent

Laurent Claessens

[...]

saurabh verma

Hi,

Am Fri, 13 May 2011 14:01:48 +0200

Yes, I want to extract the data that is contained in an image file.
Greets

I guess it requires some kind of image processing , where you can move around image pixel by pixel and somehow figure out what color is present in that pixel . If there isn’t much noise in the image you should sharp contrast and would be able to differentiate between two colors ? if yes ( I don’t know matlab might provide some tools .. just guessing ) then its easy i think to pick (X,Y) as time and value ?

~saurabh verma

Laurent Claessens

I guess it requires some kind of image processing , where you can move around image pixel
by pixel and somehow figure out what color is present in that pixel .
If there isn’t much noise in the image you should sharp contrast and would
be able to differentiate between two colors ? if yes ( I don’t know matlab
might provide some tools .. just guessing ) then its easy i think to
pick (X,Y) as time and value ?

You made me think that in addition to ask to imagemagick's and
matplotlib, one can also as to Sage[1]

In order of pythonicity :
- matplotlib
- sage
- imagemagick's

Laurent

[1] www.sagemath.org

PS : Sorry for having send my previous answer 5 times. I don't understand :(

Robert Kern

Hi,

Am Fri, 13 May 2011 14:01:48 +0200

Yes, I want to extract the data that is contained in an image file.

There is nothing in Python that solves this problem, per se, but there are free
and open source tools for this out there. E.g.

http://digitizer.sourceforge.net/

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Bastian Ballmann

Hi,

the project sounds like the exact tool that i need but regarding the
user manual one has to mark the points on the graph manually. Therefore
it's more work to get the data out than doing it without a tool. Or may
I miss something here?
Greets

Basti

Am Fri, 13 May 2011 14:38:45 -0500
schrieb Robert Kern said:
There is nothing in Python that solves this problem, per se, but
there are free and open source tools for this out there. E.g.

http://digitizer.sourceforge.net/

John J Lee

Bastian Ballmann said:
Hi,

the project sounds like the exact tool that i need but regarding the
user manual one has to mark the points on the graph manually. Therefore
it's more work to get the data out than doing it without a tool. Or may
I miss something here?
Greets

Read the documentation more carefully: it has features that allow
extracting points from line charts automatically.

If you want something fully automated, you just want jam on it ;-)

John