Parsing: request for pointers

André

Hi everyone,

I would like to implement a parser for a mini-language
and would appreciate some pointers. The type of
text I would like to parse is an extension of:

http://www.websequencediagrams.com/examples.html

For those that don't want to go to the link, consider
the following, *very* simplified, example:
=======

programmer Guido
programmer "Fredrik Lundh" as effbot
programmer "Alex Martelli" as martellibot
programmer "Tim Peters" as timbot
note left of effbot: cutting sense of humor
note over martellibot:
Offers detailed note, explaining a problem,
accompanied by culinary diversion
to the delight of the reader
note over timbot: programmer "clever" as fox
timbot -> Guido: I give you doctest
Guido --> timbot: Have you checked my time machine?

=======
From this, I would like to be able to extract
("programmer", "Guido")
("programmer as", "Fredrik Lundh", "effbot")
("note left of", "effbot", "cutting sense of humor")
("note over", "martellibot", "Offers...")
("note over", "timbot", 'programmer "clever" as fox')

Some observations:
1. I want to use indentation to identify blocks.
(the site I referred to uses "end note" which I don't want)
2. "keywords" (such as "programmer", "note over")
can appear in text, and should not then be misidentified
3. I was thinking of using http://effbot.org/zone/simple-top-down-parsing.htm
as a guide; however, it is not clear to me how it could be
adapted to handle observations 1 and 2. (If it "easily" could,
just a few pointers would be enough, and I'll start from there...)
4. I want to do this only using modules in the standard Python
library, as I want to use this to learn about the basics
of parsing. So, please don't *simply* suggest to use a
third-party module, such as
[1] plex, [2] yapps, [3] pyparsing
The learning journey is more important for me than just
having a canned solution to my (current) parsing problem.

Cheers,

André

[1] http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python/Plex/
[2] http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/yapps/
[3] http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/

Steven D'Aprano

4. I want to do this only using modules in the standard Python
library, as I want to use this to learn about the basics of parsing.
So, please don't *simply* suggest to use a third-party module, such
as
[1] plex, [2] yapps, [3] pyparsing
The learning journey is more important for me than just having a
canned solution to my (current) parsing problem.

Believe me, there is no canned solution to your current parsing problem.
Once you have a parser engine (e.g. pyparsing) you still have to build a
parser, and that's not necessarily trivial.

Other than that, try this:

http://docs.python.org/library/shlex.html

Paul McGuire

[...]

From this, I would like to be able to extract
("programmer", "Guido")
("programmer as", "Fredrik Lundh", "effbot")
("note left of", "effbot", "cutting sense of humor")
("note over", "martellibot", "Offers...")
("note over", "timbot", 'programmer "clever" as fox')

Even if you choose not to use pyparsing, a pyparsing example might
give you some insights into your problem. See how the grammar is
built up from separate pieces. Parse actions in pyparsing implement
callbacks to do parse-time conversion - in this case, the multiline
note body is converted from the parsed list of separate strings into a
single newline-separated string.

Here is the pyparsing example:

from pyparsing import Suppress, Combine, LineEnd, Word, alphas,
alphanums,\
quotedString, Keyword, Optional, oneOf, restOfLine, indentedBlock,
\
removeQuotes,empty,OneOrMore,Group

# used to manage indentation levels when parsing indented blocks
indentstack = [1]

# define some basic punctuation and terminal words
COLON = Suppress(":")
ARROW = Combine(Word('-')+'>')
NL = LineEnd().suppress()
ident = Word(alphas,alphanums+"-_")
quotedString.setParseAction(removeQuotes)

# programmer definition
progDefn = Keyword("programmer") + Optional(quotedString("alias") + \
Optional("as")) + ident("name")

# new pyparsing idiom - embed simple asserts to verify bits of the
# overall grammar in isolation
assert "programmer Guido" == progDefn
assert 'programmer "Tim Peters" as timbot' == progDefn

# note specification - only complicated part is the indented block
# form of the note we use a pyparsing parse action to convert the
# nested token lists into a multiline string
OF = Optional("of")
notelocn = oneOf("over under") | "left" + OF | "right" + OF
notetext = restOfLine.setName("notetext")
noteblock = indentedBlock(notetext, indentstack).setName("noteblock")
noteblock.setParseAction(lambda t:'\n'.join(tt[0] for tt in t[0]))
note = Keyword("note") + notelocn("location") + ident("subject") +
COLON + \
(~NL + empty + notetext("note") | noteblock("note") )
assert 'note over timbot: programmer "clever" as fox ' == note

# message definition
msg = ident("from") + ARROW + ident("to") + COLON + empty + notetext
("note")
assert 'Guido --> timbot: Have you checked my time machine?' == msg

# a seqstatement is one of these 3 types of statements
seqStatement = progDefn | note | msg

# parse the sample text
parsedStatements = OneOrMore(Group(seqStatement)).parseString(seqtext)

# print out token/field dumps for each statement
for s in parsedStatements:
print s.dump()

Prints:

['programmer', 'Guido']
- name: Guido
['programmer', 'Fredrik Lundh', 'as', 'effbot']
- alias: Fredrik Lundh
- name: effbot
['programmer', 'Alex Martelli', 'as', 'martellibot']
- alias: Alex Martelli
- name: martellibot
['programmer', 'Tim Peters', 'as', 'timbot']
- alias: Tim Peters
- name: timbot
['note', 'left', 'of', 'effbot', 'cutting sense of humor ']
- location: left
- note: cutting sense of humor
- subject: effbot
['note', 'over', 'martellibot', 'Offers ...']
- location: over
- note: Offers detailed note, explaining a problem,
accompanied by culinary diversion
to the delight of the reader
- subject: martellibot
['note', 'over', 'timbot', 'programmer "clever" as fox ']
- location: over
- note: programmer "clever" as fox
- subject: timbot
['timbot', '->', 'Guido', 'I give you doctest ']
- from: timbot
- note: I give you doctest
- to: Guido
['Guido', '-->', 'timbot', 'Have you checked my time machine?']
- from: Guido
- note: Have you checked my time machine?
- to: timbot

Best of luck in your project,
-- Paul