parsing text in blocks and line too

flyzone

Goodmorning people :)
I have just started to learn this language and i have a logical
problem.
I need to write a program to parse various file of text.
Here two sample:

---------------
trial text bla bla bla bla error
bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla on more lines
trial text bla bla bla bla warning bla
bla bla more bla to be grouped with warning
bla bla bla on more lines
could be one two or ten lines also withouth the tab beginning
again text
text can contain also blank lines
text no delimiters....
--------------
Apr 8 04:02:08 machine text on one line
Apr 8 04:02:09 machine this is an error
Apr 8 04:02:10 machine this is a warning
--------------
parsing the file, I'll need to decide if the line/group is an error,
warning or to skip.
Mine problem if how logical do it: if i read line by line, I'll catch
the error/warning
on first and the second/third/more will be skipped by control.
Reading a group of line i could lose the order on the output: my idea
is to have
an output in html with the line in the color of the check (yellow for
warning,
red for error).
And i have also many rules to be followed so if i read one rule and
then i search
on the entire file, the check will be really slow.

Hope someone could give me some tips.
Thanks in advance

A.T.Hofkamp

Goodmorning people :)
I have just started to learn this language and i have a logical
problem.
I need to write a program to parse various file of text.
Here two sample:

---------------
trial text bla bla bla bla error
bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla on more lines
trial text bla bla bla bla warning bla
bla bla more bla to be grouped with warning
bla bla bla on more lines
could be one two or ten lines also withouth the tab beginning
again text
text can contain also blank lines
text no delimiters....
--------------
Apr 8 04:02:08 machine text on one line
Apr 8 04:02:09 machine this is an error
Apr 8 04:02:10 machine this is a warning
--------------

I would first read groups of lines that belong together, then decide on each
group whether it is an error, warning, or whatever.
To preserve order in a group of lines, you can use lists.

From your example you could first compute a list of lists, like

[ [ "trial text bla bla bla bla error",
" bla bla bla bla bla",
" bla bla bla on more lines" ],
[ "trial text bla bla bla bla warning bla",
" bla bla more bla to be grouped with warning",
" bla bla bla on more lines",
" could be one two or ten lines also withouth the tab beginning" ],
[ "again text" ],
[ "text can contain also blank lines" ],
[ ],
[ "text no delimiters...." ]
]

Just above the "text no delimiters...." line I have added an empty line, and I
translated that to an empty group of lines (denoted with the empty list).

By traversing the groups (ie over the outermost list), you can now decide for
each group what type of output it is, and act accordingly.
Hope someone could give me some tips.

Sure, however, in general it is appreciated if you first show your own efforts
before asking the list for a solution.

Albert

James Stroud

A.T.Hofkamp said:
[...]

From your example you could first compute a list of lists, like

[...]

If groups have 0 indent first line and other lines in the group are
indented, group the lines

blocks = []
block = []
for line in lines:
if not line.startswith(' '):
if block:
blocks.append(block)
block = []
block.append(line)
if block:
blocks.append(block)

But if 0 indent doesn't start a new block, don't expect this to work,
but that is what I infer from your limited sample.

You can then look for warnings, etc., in the blocks--either in the loop
to save memory or in the constructed blocks list.

James