passing a method

Wybo Dekker

I want to make a method which can execute another method given to it as
an argument. The following works but the call doesn't look elegant - is
it the ruby way?

wybo>cat test.rb
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
@t = ''
def bye
@t << 'bye'
end
def hello
@t << 'hello'
end
def doit(f)
f.call
end
doit(method:)hello))
doit(method:)bye))
doit(method:)hello))
puts @t
wybo>ruby test.rb
hellobyehello
wybo>

Daniel Brockman

Hi Wybo,
I want to make a method which can execute another method
given to it as an argument.

Why do you want to do this?
The following works but the call doesn't look elegant -
is it the ruby way?

It's difficult to tell based on your contrived example,
but the Ruby way would probably be more like this:

def doit
yield
end

doit { hello }
doit { bye }
doit { hello }

You can write `doit { hello }' as `doit &method:)hello)'
if you really want to, but the general block syntax is
obviously much more flexible.
wybo>cat test.rb
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
@t = ''
def bye
@t << 'bye'
end
def hello
@t << 'hello'
end
def doit(f)
f.call
end
doit(method:)hello))
doit(method:)bye))
doit(method:)hello))

This is a rather poor example, since the above three lines
could just as well be written like this:

hello
bye
hello

Devin Mullins

Wybo said:
I want to make a method which can execute another method given to it as
an argument. The following works but the call doesn't look elegant - is
it the ruby way?

Since all your methods are on the same object, there's a simpler way:

C:\>ruby
@t = ''
def bye
@t << 'bye'
end
def hello
@t << 'hello'
end
def doit(f)
send f #ri Object#send
end
doit :hello
doit :bye
doit :hello
puts @t
^D
hellobyebello
C:\>

You could also try passing blocks:

C:\>ruby
@t = ''
def bye
@t << 'bye'
end
def hello
@t << 'hello'
end
def doit
yield
end
doit { hello }
doit { bye }
doit { hello }
puts @t
^D
hellobyebello
C:\>

Or modules/classes:

C:\>ruby
module Bye
def self.greet(t)
t << 'bye'
end
end
class Hello
def self.greet(t)
t << 'hello'
end
end
@t = ''
def doit(c)
c.greet @t
end
doit Hello
doit Bye
doit Hello
puts @t
^D
hellobyehello
C:\>

Longer, but maybe more elegant? Meh, I like the first one best.

Devin

Patrick Gundlach

Hello Wybo,

what about

@t = ''
def bye
@t << 'bye'
end
def hello
@t << 'hello'
end
def doit(f)
send f
end
doit:)hello)
doit:)bye)
doit:)hello)
puts @t

?

Patrick

David A. Black

Hi --

I want to make a method which can execute another method given to it as
an argument. The following works but the call doesn't look elegant - is
it the ruby way?

wybo>cat test.rb
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
@t = ''
def bye
@t << 'bye'
end
def hello
@t << 'hello'
end
def doit(f)
f.call
end
doit(method:)hello))
doit(method:)bye))
doit(method:)hello))
puts @t
wybo>ruby test.rb
hellobyehello
wybo>

Have you looked into the 'send' method?

str = "a string"
array = str.send:)split, //)
p array # => ["a", " ", "s", "t", "r", "i", "n", "g"]

The first argument is the method name; args 2+ are the args to the
method. You can use strings as well as symbols for the method name.

David

Wybo Dekker

Patrick said:
@t = ''
def bye
@t << 'bye'
end
def hello
@t << 'hello'
end
def doit(f)
send f
end
doit:)hello)
doit:)bye)
doit:)hello)
puts @t

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks!

As for daniel's question:
Why do you want to do this?
and

This is a rather poor example, since the above three lines
could just as well be written like this:
hello
bye
hello

Of course, that's because an exmaple should be short.
My actual code is an initializer for my scripts. I find myself all the
time re-inserting, in many scripts, code to test if executables are
available, code to read rc-files, to handle options, and more. I want to
put most of that stuff in a module which now contains an init method
using the above suggestion (for the last argument):

# program initializer:
# 1. check if all needed executables (in _needed_) are available
# 2. set the defaults (values of _defaults_) for
# option- and rc-variables (keys of _defaults_)
# 3. read the standard rc-files
# 4. handle the options, as defined in the _optionproc_ method
# 5. if @rc appears to be defined, read it as an rc-file

def init(needed,defaults,option_handler)
@rcfiles = [] # collect names for a report in case @verbose is true

# set defaults:
defaults.each do |k,v|
eval("@#{k} = #{v || 'nil'}")
end

# check if all needed executables (in _needed_) are available
check_execs(needed)

# run all standard rc-files
read_rc_files(defaults.keys)

# handle options
send option_handler

# in case a --rc option was used, read its argument as an rc-file:
read_rc_file(@rc,defaults.keys)

# if the --verbose option was used, report rc-files read:
if @verbose
if @rcfiles.size > 0
puts "These rc files were read:",@rcfiles.join("\n")
else
puts "No rc files were read"
end
end
end

Robert Klemme

Wybo said:
Patrick said:
[...]

IMHO a superior solution would be to use a block instead of argument
option_handler. AFAICS you have only one such callback and that's exactly
what blocks are for. If you want access to the current instance you can
use instance_eval:

def init(needed,defaults,&option_handler)
# handle options
instance_eval &option_handler
end

Also, for setting instance variables, this idiom is better (because it
avoids evil eval and you don't need special handling of nil):

defaults.each {|k,v| instance_variable_set("@#{k}", v)}

Kind regards

robert

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:05:04 +0900,
Wybo Dekker wrote in [ruby-talk:151467]:
I want to make a method which can execute another method given to it as
an argument. The following works but the call doesn't look elegant - is
it the ruby way?

Another way:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
@t = ''
def bye
@t << 'bye'
end
def hello
@t << 'hello'
end
def doit yield
end
doit(&method:)hello))
doit(&method:)bye))
doit(&method:)hello))
puts @t

Wybo Dekker

Robert said:
IMHO a superior solution would be to use a block instead of argument
option_handler. AFAICS you have only one such callback and that's exactly
what blocks are for. If you want access to the current instance you can
use instance_eval:

def init(needed,defaults,&option_handler)
# handle options
instance_eval &option_handler
end

but that would need, in the calling program, something like

init(needed,defaults) { handle_options }

which I feel is less straightforward/consequent than

init(needed,defaults,:handle_options)
Also, for setting instance variables, this idiom is better (because it
avoids evil eval and you don't need special handling of nil):

defaults.each {|k,v| instance_variable_set("@#{k}", v)}

Nice! I did'nt know about instance_variable_set yet.
Learned a lot today, thanks!