Passing a tuple to a function as multiple arguments

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ben Warren, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. Ben Warren

    Ben Warren Guest

    Hello,

    Let's say I have a function with a variable number of arguments (please ignore syntax errors):

    def myfunc(a,b,c,d,...):

    and I have a tuple whose contents I want to pass to the function. The number of elements in the tuple will not always be the same.

    T = A,B,C,D,...

    Is there a way that I can pass the contents of the tuple to the function without explicitly indexing the elements? Something like:

    myfunc(magic(T))

    where magic() expands the tuple to its multiple elements. I've tried various for loop constructs, but everything I can think of returns a list, which doesn't work because it's viewed as one parameter.

    thanks,
    Ben
    Ben Warren, Sep 7, 2007

  2. On Sep 6, 11:02 pm, Ben Warren <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Let's say I have a function with a variable number of arguments (please ignore syntax errors):
    >
    > def myfunc(a,b,c,d,...):
    >
    > and I have a tuple whose contents I want to pass to the function. The number of elements in the tuple will not always be the same.
    >
    > T = A,B,C,D,...
    >
    > Is there a way that I can pass the contents of the tuple to the function without explicitly indexing the elements?

    Yes:

    myfunc(*T)

    More details at http://docs.python.org/tut/node6.html#SECTION006730000000000000000

    HTH,