Passing A Value To Server

Jerry Camel

Basic Web Form... A few text boxes and a checkbox - and a card reader...
The effect I want to accomplish is this:

The basic credit card fields are there and can be filled out. But if the
user swipes the card, I want to fill out the fields automatically and make
them read only. (So far I can do this.)

But I also want a checkbox to appear that indicates the card was swiped.
The user can clear the checkbox, re-enabling the fields so they can be
edited, but then I will no longer consider the data as being swiped. I want
the check box to disappear if they clear it.

Using server controls, if I create a checkbox, but make it not visible, then
it's not available at the client side to work with from client side code.
So I would need to send some flag back to the server to indicate a post back
and have the page re-rendered properly. But how do send info to the server
like that without having a visible control to attach the data to?

(Does this make any sense? Not sure if I'm explaining it well.)

Is there a way to send a value back to the server, in a postback, where the
data is not a property of a server control that's tracking viewstate? The
session object is only available on the server side right?

Any guidance here is appreciated. Thanks.

Jerry

Guest

to send additional value to server , one commonly used method is

a HiddenControl (you will access it like Request.Forms["HiddenContrlName"]
from code behind)

or a TextBox Webcontrol with size 0 or attribute style='display:none' ..

But if the only purpose of post back is to display/check the checkbox ,
probabaly a better approach is to do the display/check in the client side
javascript ..

Instead of settign Visibility=False, you would just add an attribute to
make it hidden , but still available at client code

CheckBoxName.Attributes.Add("style='display:none'")

Jerry Camel

Okay... I can have the checkbox on the form and available with 'Display:
None'...

But I can't seem to find the proper syntax to change the display state and
make it visible on the client side...

Thanks.

Jerry Camel said:
[...]

Syntax to display ?

document.getElementById("CheckBoxClientName").style.display='' ;
document.getElementById("CheckBoxClientName").Checked = true;

this may help...
http://www.w3schools.com/htmldom/dom_obj_checkbox.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/htmldom/dom_obj_style.asp#layout

Jerry Camel said:
[...]

Thanks, but this doesn't seem to have any effect. I tried changing the
style.display property to all kinds of values, but the checkbox never
appears...

Jerry

:

[...]

Obviously there is some thing not right other than the syntax.. :) .. Is
there any javascript error when you call the function to display the
checkbox?...

if still no luck, you may want to create a simple HTML page with only
following code in it...

<INPUT TYPE=checkbox ID=chk1 style='display:hidden'>
<INPUT TYPE=button ID=btn1 onClick="toggle()" value="Click to Toggle
Display" >

<script>
function toggle(id)
{
el = document.getElementById("chk1");
var display = el.style.display ? '' : 'none';
el.style.display = display;
}
</script>

Once this works, you can compare with the HTML your aspx generated and that
may help in finding the issue..

This link got a working sample... with code...pls see if this helps..
http://www.sam-i-am.com/work/sandbox/dhtml/setting_style_display.html

Jerry Camel said:
[...]

I'll play with it. Thanks for your help. I was trying to use vbscript, but
I may have to switch to javascript...

Jerry

,