passing perl variable to output html file

Discussion in 'Perl' started by andy.t.chou@gmail.com, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I need to be able to have a hidden field (signiture) with each output
    html file generated.

    # (Get the first and last name from the html form)
    $first_name = $q->param('FirstN');
    $last_name = $q->param('LastN');

    # attempting to pass the variable information to an output html file
    to be used as hidden info needed to use later.

    print HISTORY ('<INPUT TYPE="hidden" name="TestFirstN"
    value="$first_name"\>');

    print HISTORY ('<INPUT TYPE="hidden" name="TestLastN"
    value="$last_name"\>');

    When my second cgi script calls on the output html file from above..

    my $fir = $q->param('TestFirstN');
    my $la = $q->param('TestLastN');
    print "$fir";
    print "$la";

    the debug print statements print out $first_name and $last_name instead
    of the values that they are suppose to have. Can someone please help
    me with this or provide another solution to basically be able to pass
    variable from perl/cgi script to output html file. Thanks.

    , Mar 26, 2005

  2. Joe Smith Guest

    wrote:
    > the debug print statements print out $first_name and $last_name instead
    > of the values that they are suppose to have.

    You have made as mistake in understanding perl's quoted strings.

    $first_name = 'Joe';
    $last_name = 'Smith';
    print 'Using single quotes: $first_name $last_name\n';
    print "Using double quotes: $first_name $last_name\n";

    Joe Smith, Mar 27, 2005