passing reference to pointer

softdeveloper007

softdeveloper007 said:

You get to choose what you write, but I get to choose what I read
and whom I take seriously. So far, you're not doing very well.
Obviously you aren't required to be worried about that. (Equally,
I'm not required to be worried about your C questions.)

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

now tell us if you have figured out the logic behind the "a-hole"
analogy, mister smarty pants? :)

softdeveloper007

Don't take his bait. The first half of his post is sensible advice,
but then he starts attacking you indirectly ("ignorant") and trying to
pick more fights on this newsgroup by attacking others. If you do pay
attention to this newsgroup, you will find that the people he calls
trolls and pretends to have killfiled are responsible for posts like this:

You missed a third case, Dicky: a string literal initializing an
array.

Yours,
Han from China

Such trifles aren't victories of any kind (real C victories are producing
the pieces of software that Jacob Navia, Paul Hsieh, and the many other
victims of his trolling have produced), but he has built his reputation on
this newsgroup by claiming victories for such trifles while never being able
to produce any real C victories. For the record, I haven't produced any
real C victories either, but at least I'm not arrogant enough to attack
those who have.

Witness the seething envy in his words:

"(2) Jacob Navia's naive and aggressively hostile reaction to criticisms is
undoubtedly behind the use of the word "paranoia". Whether Jacob Navia is
truly paranoid is not a matter on which comp.lang.c is competent to
decide. You need a psychiatrist for that. But for the record, I don't
think he's paranoid. I just think he's dumb. If he wised up and learned
how to take crits and where to post what, what he perceives as "attacks"
would just drop away."

"Anyway, all this is academic. The point you have completely missed is
this - Jacob is damaging his reputation *here*, right here in comp.lang.c,
and that's not a good place for a C compiler-writer to make an idiot of
himself."

"The user has learned one of three things: either he didn't read the
lcc-win32 documentation properly, or the implementor of lcc-win32 is an
idiot, or the implementor of lcc-win32 is malicious. A perusal of the
documentation will determine whether it's the first. If not, then
presumably Hanlon's Razor applies."

Yours,
Han from China

well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed the
quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10. :)

[...]

i mean, does NOT exceed...another typo, sorry:)

Guest

I think you meant "...apparently you're one exception" or better
"...apparently you are an exception"

well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed the
quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10.

I'll be kind to you. You are a newbie if a bit foolish.

Han from China is a troll and his advice, at best, should be
treated with a pinch of salt. Few of the knowledgable regular
posters read what he posts so he gets very little critique.
It is up to you to decide, but you might get better C advice if,
well, you listened to the advice you are offered. I assume you want
to learn something about C?

softdeveloper007

I think you meant "...apparently you're one exception" or better
"...apparently you are an exception"

i meant, you got to have more than just one, otherwise it'd be beyond
explanation where all the bs came from. LOL

now, do us a favor, dump it at your own backyard if do have the urge,
ok? :)

softdeveloper007

You should read more of his posts. His C knowledge could buy and sell
yours (and mine) twenty times over. He has Heathfield nailed. RH is an
arrogant arsehole with the petulant tendencies I have frequently found
in self righteous god botherers and ego maniacs. No one doubts his C
knowledge. One must, however, doubt his common sense. The attacks on
Jacob, as outlined in Han's previous post, are nothing short of
psychotic jealousy.

hehe, i'd not hire him even he's better than jacob, his attitude
doesn't sell at all.:)

softdeveloper007

hehe, i'd not hire him even he's better than jacob, his attitude
doesn't sell at all.:)

and yes, you do need "attitude" not just "knowledge" to "produce".

Guest

You should read more of his posts.

He is the only usenet poster I have ever fully plonked.
Usually I just stop responding whilst continuing to read people.
HfC I don't even read. I also don't read most of his responders
either (you, Twink and MaCormack (aplogies for spelling)).
I gathered his signal/troll ratio had improved, but life is
just so much better without him.

And my point about lack of meaningful criticism still
stands.
His C knowledge could buy and sell
yours (and mine) twenty times over. He has Heathfield nailed.

No one doubts his C
knowledge. One must, however, doubt his common sense. The attacks on
Jacob, as outlined in Han's previous post, are nothing short of
psychotic jealousy

at first I thought you talking about HfC but I see it's RH.
Yes, RH and Jacob do seem to rub each other up the wrong way.
I tend to ignore those bits. Much as I normally ignore
similar stuff from you...

Charlton Wilbur

sd> well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed
sd> the quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10. :)

You're making a grave mistake. Richard Heathfield can be cranky, and
will scold you for violations of netiquette, but his C advice is almost
always correct. "Han from China" is affable and amiable, but will give
you bad advice intentionally.

I know which one I'd rather get advice from.

Charlton

Richard

Charlton Wilbur said:
sd> well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed
sd> the quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10. :)

You're making a grave mistake. Richard Heathfield can be cranky, and
will scold you for violations of netiquette, but his C advice is almost
always correct. "Han from China" is affable and amiable, but will give
you bad advice intentionally.

I will call you on that. Where is that bad advice of which you speak?

Barry Schwarz

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:06:38 -0800 (PST), softdeveloper007

snip
save the religious crap for yourself ok? did i say my question was "C+
+ question"? grow up! drink two or three gallons of milk, if that
helps at all.

Actually you did. Your subject contains a C++ specific term. Your
code contained C++ specific syntax. And after being advised of this,
you choose to continue the discussion in a group that discusses a
completely different language because ...

Richard

Barry Schwarz said:
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:06:38 -0800 (PST), softdeveloper007

snip

Actually you did. Your subject contains a C++ specific term. Your
code contained C++ specific syntax. And after being advised of this,
you choose to continue the discussion in a group that discusses a
completely different language because ...

Except C++ is not a completely different language and the great majority
of real world C would probably compile with a C++ compiler with minor
changes. And knowing what these are and what experiences the C
programmers here have with that is clearly a real world issue and most
certainly on topic.

Old Wolf

Your best course of action, at this point, is to spend six months
reading every article in the newsgroups to which you have
subscribed (without posting any further articles). Why? Because
newsgroups - like any other communities - have a culture, and each
newsgroup's culture is slightly different, and it's good manners to
take notice of a community's culture when seeking to become a part
of that community. After six months or so of diligent reading of
every article posted in that group, you'll be sufficiently aware of
the community's customs that you can begin to post without fear of
ignorantly offending people. You will also have begun the process
of separating the truth-tellers from the liars, the trolls from the
non-trolls, and the knowledgeable from the ignorant, a useful
exercise in itself.

Is this one of those forged troll posts?

Guest

exactly. Making a mistake is ok, we all do that. But continuing
to repeat the mistake after you have been informed of it is just dumb.
Except C++ is not a completely different language and the great majority
of real world C would probably compile with a C++ compiler with minor
changes.

but not if it includes a C++ reference
And knowing what these are and what experiences the C
programmers here have with that is clearly a real world issue and most
certainly on topic.

....to comp.lang.c++

are we supposed to discuss java or perl because they share some
syntax with C?

Kenny McCormack

Richard said:
Except C++ is not a completely different language

Oh, oh. The regs will get you for that. Do we really want another
iteration of:

"C++ is pretty much similar to C"

"No, it's not"

"Is too, is too"

"Is not, is not"

"Is too, is too"

"Is not, is not"

"Is too, is too"

"Is not, is not"

etc.
and the great majority of real world C would probably compile with a
C++ compiler with minor changes.

See above.
And knowing what these are and what experiences the C
programmers here have with that is clearly a real world issue and most
certainly on topic.

No, no, no. The real world is clearly off-topic.
This has been made clear (as well as stated explicitly) thousands of
times over the years.

Richard

Oh, oh. The regs will get you for that. Do we really want another
iteration of:

"C++ is pretty much similar to C"

"No, it's not"

"Is too, is too"

"Is not, is not"

"Is too, is too"

"Is not, is not"

"Is too, is too"

"Is not, is not"

etc.

See above.

No, no, no. The real world is clearly off-topic.
This has been made clear (as well as stated explicitly) thousands of
times over the years.

This group is about C. And as a C programmer I like to stay informed as
to what issues C might have if compiled with a more modern C++
compiler. I am surprised other C programmers here do not feel the same -
especially if staying standard compliant helps in that desire.

I, for one, welcome our new dominant Alpha "C" Male overlords here in
c.l.c. And its good to see a few of the weasels hopping off the sinking
ship now that they have, at last, seen reason.