password protected directories caching credentials

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by stjulian, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. stjulian

    stjulian Guest

    Well, thats what it looks like anyway.

    Here's what happens:

    A text file is generated and stored within a directory (a virtual directory)
    within our website. The directory has permissions set (on the server) to
    cause the username/password dialog to pop up once the text file URL or the
    directory URL is clicked. Once you provide your credentials, the file or
    directory is displayed in your browser.

    The problem is, when you hit "back", the username/password dialog box keeps
    popping up even though you are going back to a page which does not require a
    username/password. And, no amount of influencing will convince the dialog
    otherwise!

    I am using IE 7. This seems to have cropped up recently.

    Is there a fix for this behavior?

    Is there a proper way to allow HTTP access to a directory and still require
    the username and password?

    Julian

    stjulian, Aug 22, 2007

  2. stjulian

    stjulian Guest

    Also, the server is IIS 6.0 running on Server 2003.

    stjulian, Aug 22, 2007