Pasting login url in browser doesnt work

Discussion in 'HTML' started by bauhaus, Jul 22, 2009.

  1. bauhaus

    bauhaus Guest

    I wanted to paste a login url in the browser, but I get a page with the
    error "Entry form data missing."
    And the url shows:
    http://www.secret-cinema.net/loginfailed.php?err=missing&returnto=

    Here's the form code:

    <form name="myform" method="post"
    action="http://www.secret-cinema.net/takelogin.php">
    <input type="hidden" name="returnto" value=browse.php?>
    </form>

    The url that I pasted:
    http://www.secret-cinema.net/takelogin.php?username=user&password=pass&returnto=browse.php?

    What parameter am I missing here ?

    bauhaus, Jul 22, 2009

  2. bauhaus

    C A Upsdell Guest

    bauhaus wrote:
    > I wanted to paste a login url in the browser, but I get a page with the
    > error "Entry form data missing."
    > And the url shows:
    > http://www.secret-cinema.net/loginfailed.php?err=missing&returnto=
    >
    > Here's the form code:
    >
    > <form name="myform" method="post"
    > action="http://www.secret-cinema.net/takelogin.php">
    > <input type="hidden" name="returnto" value=browse.php?>
    > </form>
    >
    > The url that I pasted:
    > http://www.secret-cinema.net/takelogin.php?username=user&password=pass&returnto=browse.php?
    >

    > What parameter am I missing here ?

    Are you aware that the ampersand is a special character and must be
    encoded in URLs?

    C A Upsdell, Jul 22, 2009

  3. bauhaus

    bauhaus Guest

    > Are you aware that the ampersand is a special character and must be
    > encoded in URLs?

    The ampersand is automatically encoded in your browser, thats not the
    problem.

    bauhaus, Jul 23, 2009
  4. bauhaus wrote:
    > I wanted to paste a login url in the browser, but I get a page with the
    > error "Entry form data missing."
    > And the url shows:
    > http://www.secret-cinema.net/loginfailed.php?err=missing&returnto=
    >
    > Here's the form code:
    >
    > <form name="myform" method="post"

    ^^^^

    > The url that I pasted:
    > http://www.secret-cinema.net/takelogin.php?username=user&password=pass&returnto=browse.php?
    >

    > What parameter am I missing here ?

    The difference between *GET* and *POST*. If takelogin.php gets parsed
    values specifically from the $_POST global and not the less specific
    $_REQUEST global your hack will not work...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 23, 2009
  5. bauhaus

    C A Upsdell Guest

    bauhaus wrote:
    >> Are you aware that the ampersand is a special character and must be
    >> encoded in URLs?
    >>

    > The ampersand is automatically encoded in your browser, thats not the
    > problem.

    How will the browser encode, for example

    &password

    When there is no such entity as "&password;" ?

    C A Upsdell, Jul 23, 2009
  6. bauhaus

    bauhaus Guest

    >> <form name="myform" method="post"
    > ^^^^

    I forgot to ommit the name="myform" before posting, it isnt in the original
    html code. I wrote a javascript function so that the form is automatically
    submitted, which works fine.

    > The difference between *GET* and *POST*. If takelogin.php gets parsed
    > values specifically from the $_POST global and not the less specific
    > $_REQUEST global your hack will not work...

    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean POST submits additional nfo
    that isnt visible in the form ?

    bauhaus, Jul 23, 2009
  7. bauhaus wrote:
    >>> <form name="myform" method="post"

    >> ^^^^

    > I forgot to ommit the name="myform" before posting, it isnt in the
    > original html code. I wrote a javascript function so that the form is
    > automatically submitted, which works fine.
    >
    >> The difference between *GET* and *POST*. If takelogin.php gets parsed
    >> values specifically from the $_POST global and not the less specific
    >> $_REQUEST global your hack will not work...

    > I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean POST submits additional
    > nfo that isnt visible in the form ?

    GIYF:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=what is the difference between POST and GET&btnG=Google Search
    what is the difference between POST and GET - Google Search

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 23, 2009