Path to Class Library

Simon Harris

Hi All,

I've recently created a web service, which uses code within a class library
I created.

In my development environment, I have referenced the class library - This
works fine.

Problem is, now I am ready to go live, I dont have access to the file system
of the web server (Just FTP access)

So...how do I deploy to the live server, whilst maintaining the link to my
shared code libraray DLL?

Thanks,
Simon.

PS: Using Visual Studio.Net 2003.

bruce barker

copy the dll (and all dll's it references) to the bin folder of the
webservice

| Hi All,
|
| I've recently created a web service, which uses code within a class
library
| I created.
|
| In my development environment, I have referenced the class library - This
| works fine.
|
| Problem is, now I am ready to go live, I dont have access to the file
system
| of the web server (Just FTP access)
|
| So...how do I deploy to the live server, whilst maintaining the link to my
| shared code libraray DLL?
|
| Thanks,
| Simon.
|
| PS: Using Visual Studio.Net 2003.

Simon Harris

Thanks Bruce - Do I have to do this for each webservice/project? I was
hoping there would be a way of only storing the DLL once on the server???

Peter Rilling

That is the easiest. The other would be to install the assembly in the GAC.

When you reference an assembly in VS.NET, the IDE actually make a copy of
the assembly and places it in the bin folder. If you look at all your
webservice that are local, you should have a copy of your assembly in each.
This is just how things work and may require some configuration management
on your part to ensure that the versions do not get out of synch.

Simon Harris

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who recommened this setup:

/root/bin <-- Store all 'common' libraries here

/root/appname/bin <-- Store app specific libraries here

I'm yet to try this, if it does work, then great! Only 1 copy of the common
code library to manage! Other wise, I'll look into using the GAC.

Best Regards,
Simon.

Simon Harris

I tried as mentioned in my previous post, and it works a treat.

Heres how I've set my site up:

/aspnetapplications/ <- Setup as an application in IIS

/aspnetapplications/bin <- Contains all DLLs for all apps, plus any shared
stuff

/netapplications/app1
/netapplications/app2
/netapplications/app3....and so on

Only one place to update the code - Seems to work well! :)