pcap -> sniffer

cruxnor

Hello,

I'm trying to code a simple sniffer in perl, but the results I get
from pcap aren't those I had expected!
My process sub looks like this:

sub process_pkt {
my($user_data, $hdr, $pkt) = @_;

print "$pkt\n";
}

And the results is something like this:

@ø7À¨K8À¨KÝngóAÍsPúð^3
@ù7À¨K8À¨KÝngóAÍsPúð^3
âmûôuóÚE6ë@ø$À¨K8À¨KÝngóAÍPúÅBÀUSER XXXX

uóQâmûE6ë@ù$À¨K8À¨KÝngóAÍPúÅBÀUSER XXXX

âmûôuóÚE4ë@ø!À¨K8À¨KÝngó¡AÍÄPú¶?PASS XXXX

uóQâmûE4ë@ù!À¨K8À¨KÝngó¡AÍÄPú¶?PASS XXXX

âmûôuóÚE.ë@ø"À¨K8À¨KÝngó­AÍòPúq¼XSTAT

uóQâmûE.ë@ù"À¨K8À¨KÝngó­AÍòPúq¼XSTAT

âmûôuóÚE.ë!@øÀ¨K8À¨KÝngó³AÎPúc±]LIST

When I sniff the network with ngrep, the result is much more
readable!
The initialization of pcap is the same as in the documentation.

Does anybody has an idea for this problem?
I'm looking for a sniffer like ngrep output-style.

ciau, cruxnor

Anno Siegel

cruxnor said:
Hello,

I'm trying to code a simple sniffer in perl, but the results I get
from pcap aren't those I had expected!

Which pcap module are you using? There's Net::pcap and
POE::Component::pcap. There is also Net::pcapUtils, but that is
probably part of Net::pcap.
My process sub looks like this:

sub process_pkt {
my($user_data, $hdr, $pkt) = @_;

print "$pkt\n";
}

That routine ignores two arguments and prints the third. How is that
supposed to tell us what you tried?

How is the data in $pkt generated?
And the results is something like this:

@ø7À¨K8À¨KÝngóAÍsPúð^3
@ù7À¨K8À¨KÝngóAÍsPúð^3
âmûôuóÚE6ë@ø$À¨K8À¨KÝngóAÍPúÅBÀUSER XXXX

uóQâmûE6ë@ù$À¨K8À¨KÝngóAÍPúÅBÀUSER XXXX

âmûôuóÚE4ë@ø!À¨K8À¨KÝngó¡AÍÄPú¶?PASS XXXX

uóQâmûE4ë@ù!À¨K8À¨KÝngó¡AÍÄPú¶?PASS XXXX

âmûôuóÚE.ë@ø"À¨K8À¨KÝngó­AÍòPúq¼XSTAT

uóQâmûE.ë@ù"À¨K8À¨KÝngó­AÍòPúq¼XSTAT

âmûôuóÚE.ë!@øÀ¨K8À¨KÝngó³AÎPúc±]LIST

So $pkt contains some binary data when you print it. How the data
gets there remains your secret.
When I sniff the network with ngrep, the result is much more
readable!
The initialization of pcap is the same as in the documentation.

In *what* documentation? You haven't said what you are using.

Try again.

Anno

Bastian Ballmann

Hi!
I'm trying to code a simple sniffer in perl, but the results I get
from pcap aren't those I had expected!

You've to decode the sniffed packets. Try using NetPacket::*
modules.
My process sub looks like this:

sub process_pkt {
my($user_data, $hdr, $pkt) = @_;

print "$pkt\n";
}

Try the following code:
sub process_pkt {
my($user_data, $hdr, $pkt) = @_;
my $ip = NetPacket::IP->decode(eth_strip($pkt));
my $tcp = NetPacket::TCP->decode($ip->{'data'});

print "$ip->{'src_ip'}:$tcp->{'src_port'} --> \
$ip->{'dest_ip'}:$tcp->{'dest_port'}\n";
print "$tcp->{'data'}\n\n";
}

Be away of non-printable characters they could crash your
terminal, maybe convert them to hex using Data::Hexdumper
or similar modules.
If you are interessted in network programming with perl
take a look at my P.A.T.H. Projekt: p-a-t-h.sourceforge.net
Greets

Basti