PDF file link

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Wad, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. Wad

    Wad Guest

    Wad, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Edwin van der Vaart, Nov 21, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    says...

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am a student of XHTML. On my home page I have a link to a pdf file
    > which opens fine in IE but stops in Netscape 7.2. Any suggestions?
    >
    > http://studentweb.usq.edu.au/home/W0030291/FET5621WD/

    For starters, resize those photos properly. Do it with a graphic's
    editing tool, not with the HTML. There's no need for them to be 180k
    each on your home page. The dimensions are wrong, too. You can't scale
    a 640x480 image to 300x240, can you?

    As for the PDF, add instructions on how to download it to the user's
    hard drive (right-click "Save Link As ...". Acrobat is a crummy piece
    of software, and the reader is no better. The PDF fails to load in
    Mozilla, too, even though Acrobat Reader starts. Mind you, the file is
    massive - perhaps the user's browser is getting bored and is dropping
    the connection.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Wad

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Edwin van der Vaart, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Wad

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Nov 21, 2004
  7. Hywel Jenkins <> wrote:

    > You can't
    > scale a 640x480 image to 300x240, can you?

    Of course you can. The result is awful, but you can, and that's the
    problem.

    > As for the PDF, add instructions on how to download it to the user's
    > hard drive (right-click "Save Link As ...".

    And "Hit control-D to bookmark"?

    Seriously, do not write "instructions" based on your guesses on the
    user's software. You will just confuse the uninitiated and make experts
    justly laugh at your.

    "Right-click"? With what? What makes you think there is something to
    click with, and with right and left something on it, and with particular
    effect?

    An appopriate link text would be
    "Daelim Major ATS brochure"
    followed by non-link text "(in PDF format)".

    If you wish, make the abbreviation "PDF" a link to a document that
    explains how people can work with PDF documents. But make sure sure it's
    _correct_ information. About 100 % of the instructions I've seen have
    claimed that "you need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF documents", or
    something like that. And the real problem with Acrobat Reader is how to
    use it, not how to download it, which seems to be the core issue in most
    "helpful" instructions.

    > Acrobat is a crummy
    > piece of software, and the reader is no better.

    Sour grapes? It's really the integration of a browser (especially IE) and
    Acrobat Reader that is the common problem.

    The specific problem with a PDF file that might not open properly on some
    version(s) of Acrobat Reader or through a browser's interface to it
    surely isn't an HTML problem.

    > Mind you,
    > the file is massive - perhaps the user's browser is getting bored and
    > is dropping the connection.

    ObHTML: HTML (properly used) is a portable document format, PDF isn't.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 21, 2004
  8. In article <Xns95A8C5D51C75Ejkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31>,
    says...
    > Hywel Jenkins <> wrote:
    >
    > > You can't
    > > scale a 640x480 image to 300x240, can you?

    > Of course you can. The result is awful, but you can, and that's the
    > problem.

    It's not scaled - it's either resized and squashed or it's cropped.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 21, 2004
  9. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://studentweb.usq.edu.au/home/W0030291/FET5621WD/docs/Daelimbro.pdf
    >>>404 Object Not Found

    >>Works perfectly with Firefox 1.0rc2 in Linux/Mandrake 9.2

    > Mine was libwww-perl on Mandrake 10.0. Nevertheless, the file seems to
    > have reappeared. Perhaps a momentary burp by the server?

    Let say it's a burp/hick-up.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors site