PDF file link

Hywel Jenkins

Hi All,

I am a student of XHTML. On my home page I have a link to a pdf file
which opens fine in IE but stops in Netscape 7.2. Any suggestions?

http://studentweb.usq.edu.au/home/W0030291/FET5621WD/

For starters, resize those photos properly. Do it with a graphic's
editing tool, not with the HTML. There's no need for them to be 180k
each on your home page. The dimensions are wrong, too. You can't scale
a 640x480 image to 300x240, can you?

As for the PDF, add instructions on how to download it to the user's
hard drive (right-click "Save Link As ...". Acrobat is a crummy piece
of software, and the reader is no better. The PDF fails to load in
Mozilla, too, even though Acrobat Reader starts. Mind you, the file is
massive - perhaps the user's browser is getting bored and is dropping
the connection.

Toby Inkster

Edwin said:
Works perfectly with Firefox 1.0rc2 in Linux/Mandrake 9.2

Mine was libwww-perl on Mandrake 10.0. Nevertheless, the file seems to
have reappeared. Perhaps a momentary burp by the server?

Jukka K. Korpela

Hywel Jenkins said:
You can't
scale a 640x480 image to 300x240, can you?

Of course you can. The result is awful, but you can, and that's the
problem.
As for the PDF, add instructions on how to download it to the user's
hard drive (right-click "Save Link As ...".

And "Hit control-D to bookmark"?

Seriously, do not write "instructions" based on your guesses on the
user's software. You will just confuse the uninitiated and make experts
justly laugh at your.

"Right-click"? With what? What makes you think there is something to
click with, and with right and left something on it, and with particular
effect?

An appopriate link text would be
"Daelim Major ATS brochure"
followed by non-link text "(in PDF format)".

If you wish, make the abbreviation "PDF" a link to a document that
explains how people can work with PDF documents. But make sure sure it's
_correct_ information. About 100 % of the instructions I've seen have
claimed that "you need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF documents", or
something like that. And the real problem with Acrobat Reader is how to
use it, not how to download it, which seems to be the core issue in most
"helpful" instructions.
Acrobat is a crummy
piece of software, and the reader is no better.

Sour grapes? It's really the integration of a browser (especially IE) and
Acrobat Reader that is the common problem.

The specific problem with a PDF file that might not open properly on some
version(s) of Acrobat Reader or through a browser's interface to it
surely isn't an HTML problem.
Mind you,
the file is massive - perhaps the user's browser is getting bored and
is dropping the connection.

ObHTML: HTML (properly used) is a portable document format, PDF isn't.

Edwin van der Vaart

Toby said:
Mine was libwww-perl on Mandrake 10.0. Nevertheless, the file seems to
have reappeared. Perhaps a momentary burp by the server?
Let say it's a burp/hick-up.