    hint of how to improve the performance on SunOS.

    Best rgds from rainy germany
    Henning

    kielhd, Nov 24, 2003

  2. kielhd

    Uri Guttman Guest

    >>>>> "k" == kielhd <> writes:

    k> I am running a script doing some calculations on a SunOS box. It takes
    k> about 11hrs to finish.
    k> When running the same script on WinNT, it takes only 7min!

    that makes little sense.

    k> Could somebody please explain this to me or - even better - give me a
    k> hint of how to improve the performance on SunOS.

    delete line 42. it is the slow one.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Nov 24, 2003

  3. kielhd

    Tintin Guest

    "kielhd" <> wrote in message
    > Hi NG,
    > I am running a script doing some calculations on a SunOS box. It takes
    > about 11hrs to finish.
    > When running the same script on WinNT, it takes only 7min!
    > I was very surprised about WinNT being app. 100 times faster then
    > SunOS and compared the results. The results are the same, so the
    > script is working well on both machines.
    > I am using perl v5.8.0 and the module Net::Netmask on both machines.
    >
    > Could somebody please explain this to me or - even better - give me a
    > hint of how to improve the performance on SunOS.

    Invoking the devine ESP function of Perl......

    Are you doing any DNS lookups at all?

    If not, how do you seriously expect anyone to have an idea without showing
    any code or snippet.

    Tintin, Nov 24, 2003

    Eric J. Roode, Nov 24, 2003
  5. kielhd

    Juha Laiho Guest

    (kielhd) said:
    >I am running a script doing some calculations on a SunOS box. It takes
    >about 11hrs to finish.
    >When running the same script on WinNT, it takes only 7min!

    Adding to the other requests, you're not giving any info on what
    hardware you're on. I believe I could find a WinNT environment that
    runs at a fraction of the speed of the WinNT environment you have,
    and perhaps also a WinNT environment twice as fast as you have.
    Of course, _if_ these results were obtained on the same hardware
    (doesn't seem so), it's a different issue.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

    Juha Laiho, Nov 24, 2003
  6. On 23 Nov 2003 23:06:23 -0800
    (kielhd) wrote:

    > Hi NG,
    > I am running a script doing some calculations on a SunOS box. It
    > takes about 11hrs to finish.
    > When running the same script on WinNT, it takes only 7min!
    > I was very surprised about WinNT being app. 100 times faster then
    > SunOS and compared the results. The results are the same, so the
    > script is working well on both machines.
    > I am using perl v5.8.0 and the module Net::Netmask on both machines.
    >
    > Could somebody please explain this to me or - even better - give me
    > a hint of how to improve the performance on SunOS.
    >
    > Best rgds from rainy germany
    > Henning

    Code would be helpful :)

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    'I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean." --
    G. K. Chesterton

    James Willmore, Nov 26, 2003