    question. The older IPlanet application server could be configured to use
    more than 1 JVM; can you gain performance by running an application on
    multiple JVM's without changing the hardware the VM's run on?

    Jan Van Lysebeth, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Jan Van Lysebeth

    Chris Smith Guest

    Jan Van Lysebeth wrote:
    > I wonder if splitting up the two parts of our application and deploy them as
    > 2 different ear-files could result in better performance. A second related
    > question. The older IPlanet application server could be configured to use
    > more than 1 JVM; can you gain performance by running an application on
    > multiple JVM's without changing the hardware the VM's run on?

    No opinion on separate EAR files. Probably best to benchmark rather
    than going on logic there, as I don't see strong factors pushing in
    either direction.

    Generally speaking, running multiple JVMs on a host is not good for
    performance. There's not a lot of contention within the Java core
    platform APIs or virtual machine, and there shouldn't be a lot of
    contention within a well-implemented J2EE application server. On the
    other hand, deploying on multiple virtual machines causes the system to
    maintain duplicate copies of code, and the JVM is notoriously bad at
    scaling to multiple VMs on a single host.

    Running separate apps in multiple JVMs on the same host is generally
    intended for purposes like isolating instability or decreasing points of
    failure. It's not a performance trick.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation