Perl 5.8.4 Slow

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Paul Medynski, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. I'm seeing a significant performance degradataion between my two Debian
    linux boxes. Before getting into too many deatils, I thought I'd see
    if anyone has experienced a similar problem and can suggest a solution.

    Box 1 (chetball):
    - Pentium 233 MMX, 96 MB Ram
    - Kernel 2.4.19
    - Perl 5.6.1 built for i386-linux

    Box 2 (pos):
    - Celeron 300, 192 MB Ram
    - Kernel 2.6.10-1-686
    - Perl 5.8.4 built for i386-linux-thread-multi

    I've got a simple module that I run on each machine using DProf:

    chetball:/tmp# perl -d:DProf -e 'use LogFile;'; dprofpp -u tmon.out
    Total Elapsed Time = 1.354992 Seconds
    User Time = 0.814793 Seconds

    pos:/tmp# perl -d:DProf -e 'use LogFile;'; dprofpp -u tmon.out
    Total Elapsed Time = 5.597755 Seconds
    User Time = 5.187755 Seconds

    Yikes! The celeron box takes 5.6 seconds, whereas the p233 takes 1.4.

    dprofpp on pos reports the following in its output:

    POSIX::load_imports has 1 unstacked calls in outer
    POSIX::AUTOLOAD has -1 unstacked calls in outer
    Sys::Syslog::__ANON__ has 1 unstacked calls in outer
    Sys::Syslog::AUTOLOAD has -1 unstacked calls in outer
    Exporter::export has -3 unstacked calls in outer
    Exporter::Heavy::heavy_export has 3 unstacked calls in outer

    I'm not sure if that's indicative of the problem I'm seeing.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Paul
    Paul Medynski, Mar 2, 2005