    I can send more information if needed, any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Dana
    Dana, Mar 3, 2009

  2. Dana

    Tim Greer Guest

    Dana wrote:

    > I'm not sure if this is the proper Forum for this particular problem,
    > but I have pretty much tried every place else with no luck.
    >
    > I am trying to install perl, tried both 5.8.8 and 5.8.9, on an HPUX
    > 11.23 with Itanium2 processessor.
    >
    > The make test fails with 4 tests failing. Contant.t, PL_FILES,
    > recurs.t, sem
    >
    > I can send more information if needed, any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Dana

    What are the specific errors in the test you see? Were you able to
    install an older version? Do you have a version already running now
    that's older?
    Tim Greer, Mar 3, 2009

  3. Dana

    Dana Guest

    On Mar 3, 1:55 pm, Tim Greer <> wrote:
    > Dana wrote:
    > > I'm not sure if this is the proper Forum for this particular problem,
    > > but I have pretty much tried every place else with no luck.

    > > I am trying to install perl, tried both 5.8.8 and 5.8.9, on an HPUX
    > > 11.23 with Itanium2 processessor.

    > > The make test fails with 4 tests failing. Contant.t, PL_FILES,
    > > recurs.t, sem

    > > I can send more information if needed, any help would be greatly
    > > appreciated.

    > > Dana

    > What are the specific errors in the test you see?  Were you able to
    > install an older version?  Do you have a version already running now
    > that's older?
    > --
    > Tim Greer, CEO/Founder/CTO, BurlyHost.com, Inc.
    > Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers
    > and Custom Hosting.  24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
    > Industry's most experienced staff! -- Web Hosting With Muscle!

    That's the thing there really isn't any error output, the tests just
    say failed. The system came with 5.8.8 installed but it is a very
    basic version and in-order to install DBI and DBD perl has to be
    reinstalled.
    Dana, Mar 3, 2009
  4. Dana

    Tim Greer Guest

    Dana wrote:

    > On Mar 3, 1:55 pm, Tim Greer <> wrote:
    >> Dana wrote:
    >> > I'm not sure if this is the proper Forum for this particular
    >> > problem, but I have pretty much tried every place else with no
    >> > luck.

    >> > I am trying to install perl, tried both 5.8.8 and 5.8.9, on an HPUX
    >> > 11.23 with Itanium2 processessor.

    >> > The make test fails with 4 tests failing. Contant.t, PL_FILES,
    >> > recurs.t, sem

    >> > I can send more information if needed, any help would be greatly
    >> > appreciated.

    >> > Dana

    >> What are the specific errors in the test you see?  Were you able to
    >> install an older version?  Do you have a version already running now
    >> that's older?
    >> --

    <please don't quote signatures>

    > That's the thing there really isn't any error output, the tests just
    > say failed. The system came with 5.8.8 installed but it is a very
    > basic version and in-order to install DBI and DBD perl has to be
    > reinstalled.

    I see, can you copy and paste that portion in a reply? Did you verify
    that it didn't suffer any errors before that stage of the build? I
    assume it's an error while running make?
    Tim Greer, Mar 3, 2009
  5. Dana

    Dana Guest

    > I see, can you copy and paste that portion in a reply?  Did you verify
    > that it didn't suffer any errors before that stage of the build?  I
    > assume it's an error while running make?

    here is the output of the make test

    lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant...................
    Stop.
    FAILED at test 3

    lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES...................# Failed test in ../lib/
    ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 38.
    # got: '256'
    # expected: '0'
    # Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
    # Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
    # make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1
    # /usr/local/src/perl-5.8.8/t/perl "-I../../lib" "-I../../lib"
    Makefile.PL
    # Writing Makefile for PL_FILES::Module
    # ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
    # ==> Please rerun the make command. <==
    # false
    # *** Error exit code 1
    #
    # Stop.
    # Failed test 'single.out was created'
    # in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 41.
    # Failed test '1.out was created'
    # in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 41.
    # Failed test '2.out was created'
    # in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 41.
    # Failed test 'blib/lib/PL/Bar.pm was created'
    # in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 41.
    # Looks like you failed 5 tests of 9.
    FAILED at test 3

    lib/ExtUtils/t/recurs.....................# Failed test 'recursive
    make exited normally'
    # in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/recurs.t at line 61.
    # got: '256'
    # expected: '0'
    # Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
    # Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
    # make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1
    # /usr/local/src/perl-5.8.8/t/perl "-I../../lib" "-I../../lib"
    Makefile.PL
    # Writing Makefile for Recurs::prj2
    # Writing Makefile for Recurs
    # ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
    # ==> Please rerun the make command. <==
    # false
    # *** Error exit code 1
    #
    # Stop.
    FAILED at test 6

    Failed 3 test scripts out of 934, 99.68% okay.
    Dana, Mar 3, 2009
  6. Dana

    J. Gleixner Guest

    Dana wrote:
    >> I see, can you copy and paste that portion in a reply? Did you verify
    >> that it didn't suffer any errors before that stage of the build? I
    >> assume it's an error while running make?

    > here is the output of the make test
    >
    > lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant...................
    > Stop.
    > FAILED at test 3
    >
    > lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES...................# Failed test in ../lib/
    > ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 38.
    > # got: '256'
    > # expected: '0'
    > # Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL

    [...]

    There seems to be a lot of posts complaining about
    this, for HPUX. Reading through a few of them seemed
    to boil down to the options used for Configure, which
    compiler is used, or possibly which file system
    is used.

    Read through the readme.HPUX, and/or search for
    that error and you should find many suggestions.
    I didn't see one that said "do XYZ and it'll fix
    all of your problems."
    J. Gleixner, Mar 4, 2009