Perl 5.8.8 or 5.8.9 install

Dana

I'm not sure if this is the proper Forum for this particular problem,
but I have pretty much tried every place else with no luck.

I am trying to install perl, tried both 5.8.8 and 5.8.9, on an HPUX
11.23 with Itanium2 processessor.

The make test fails with 4 tests failing. Contant.t, PL_FILES,
recurs.t, sem

I can send more information if needed, any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Dana

Tim Greer

Dana said:
I'm not sure if this is the proper Forum for this particular problem,
but I have pretty much tried every place else with no luck.

I am trying to install perl, tried both 5.8.8 and 5.8.9, on an HPUX
11.23 with Itanium2 processessor.

The make test fails with 4 tests failing. Contant.t, PL_FILES,
recurs.t, sem

I can send more information if needed, any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Dana

What are the specific errors in the test you see? Were you able to
install an older version? Do you have a version already running now
that's older?

Dana

What are the specific errors in the test you see?  Were you able to
install an older version?  Do you have a version already running now
that's older?
and Custom Hosting.  24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.

That's the thing there really isn't any error output, the tests just
say failed. The system came with 5.8.8 installed but it is a very
basic version and in-order to install DBI and DBD perl has to be
reinstalled.

Tim Greer

That's the thing there really isn't any error output, the tests just
say failed. The system came with 5.8.8 installed but it is a very
basic version and in-order to install DBI and DBD perl has to be
reinstalled.

I see, can you copy and paste that portion in a reply? Did you verify
that it didn't suffer any errors before that stage of the build? I
assume it's an error while running make?

Dana

I see, can you copy and paste that portion in a reply?  Did you verify
that it didn't suffer any errors before that stage of the build?  I
assume it's an error while running make?

here is the output of the make test

lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant...................
Stop.
FAILED at test 3

lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES...................# Failed test in ../lib/
ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 38.
# got: '256'
# expected: '0'
# Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
# Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
# make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1
# /usr/local/src/perl-5.8.8/t/perl "-I../../lib" "-I../../lib"
Makefile.PL
# Writing Makefile for PL_FILES::Module
# ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
# ==> Please rerun the make command. <==
# false
# *** Error exit code 1
#
# Stop.
# Failed test 'single.out was created'
# in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 41.
# Failed test '1.out was created'
# in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 41.
# Failed test '2.out was created'
# in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 41.
# Failed test 'blib/lib/PL/Bar.pm was created'
# in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 41.
# Looks like you failed 5 tests of 9.
FAILED at test 3

lib/ExtUtils/t/recurs.....................# Failed test 'recursive
make exited normally'
# in ../lib/ExtUtils/t/recurs.t at line 61.
# got: '256'
# expected: '0'
# Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
# Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
# make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1
# /usr/local/src/perl-5.8.8/t/perl "-I../../lib" "-I../../lib"
Makefile.PL
# Writing Makefile for Recurs::prj2
# Writing Makefile for Recurs
# ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
# ==> Please rerun the make command. <==
# false
# *** Error exit code 1
#
# Stop.
FAILED at test 6

Failed 3 test scripts out of 934, 99.68% okay.

J. Gleixner

Dana said:
here is the output of the make test

lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant...................
Stop.
FAILED at test 3

lib/ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES...................# Failed test in ../lib/
ExtUtils/t/PL_FILES.t at line 38.
# got: '256'
# expected: '0'
# Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
[...]

There seems to be a lot of posts complaining about
this, for HPUX. Reading through a few of them seemed
to boil down to the options used for Configure, which
compiler is used, or possibly which file system
is used.

Read through the readme.HPUX, and/or search for
that error and you should find many suggestions.
I didn't see one that said "do XYZ and it'll fix
all of your problems."