    linear equations and expanding and factoring equations. All this can be done
    by hand of course and C has a good library. What can perl do with math?

    Bill
    Bill Cunningham, May 18, 2014

  2. Bill Cunningham

    ccc31807 Guest

    I don't do much math, but do a fair amount of stats and data manipulation. I think Perl is a great tool, and I use Perl every day.

    If I wee to start doing a lot of math, I'd take a very serious look at NumPy, SciPy, and mathplotlib in Python. I would also have a very strong bias for R, for the simple reason that I know it and use it.

    For something old and new, try FORTRAN and Julia. I've never used these, but others have touted them for math.

    Perl's very good, but I don't think that it's the best tool for math.

    CC
    ccc31807, May 18, 2014

  3. "ccc31807" <> wrote in message
    >I don't do much math, but do a fair amount of stats and data manipulation.
    >I think Perl is a great tool, and I use Perl every day.
    >
    > If I wee to start doing a lot of math, I'd take a very serious look at
    > NumPy, SciPy, and mathplotlib in Python. I would also have a very strong
    > bias for R, for the simple reason that I know it and use it.
    >
    > For something old and new, try FORTRAN and Julia. I've never used these,
    > but others have touted them for math.
    >
    > Perl's very good, but I don't think that it's the best tool for math.

    I looked at Ada too. It seemed too complicated. I like C ans it seems to
    have an excellent library for math. Especially with some of the newer
    standards out. I looked at python and the syntax seemed a little complicated
    too. But the thing about python and perl is that you can get modules.

    Bill
    Bill Cunningham, May 18, 2014
  4. [snip]

    Also I have never heard of R or Julia. I guess you learn something new
    everyday.

    Bill
    Bill Cunningham, May 18, 2014
  5. Bill Cunningham

    gamo Guest

    El 18/05/14 01:00, Bill Cunningham escribiĆ³:
    > I am looking at several languages for math work. Algebraic work mainly
    > linear equations and expanding and factoring equations. All this can be done
    > by hand of course and C has a good library. What can perl do with math?
    >
    > Bill

    Search in CPAN for symbolic math, I guess that's what you means.
    For other types of math or stats, perl is perfectly suitable per se.

    --
    http://www.telecable.es/personales/gamo/
    gamo, May 18, 2014
  6. Bill Cunningham schrieb am 18.05.2014 01:00:
    > I am looking at several languages for math work. Algebraic work mainly
    > linear equations and expanding and factoring equations. All this can be done
    > by hand of course and C has a good library. What can perl do with math?

    Assuming you don't mean "symbolic math", the CPAN lists about 1000
    modules doing all sorts of math:

    https://metacpan.org/search?q=Math::

    Of course, *native* Perl isn't as fast as C, but many of the modules in
    the Math:: namespace have compiled XS parts, which gives you comparable
    speed.

    Especially if you want to work with (large) matrices, have a look at the
    PDL module.
    It's intro says:

    PDL - the Perl Data Language

    PDL is the Perl Data Language, a perl extension that is designed for
    scientific and bulk numeric data processing and display. It extends
    perl's
    syntax and includes fully vectorized, multidimensional array handling,
    plus several paths for device-independent graphics output.

    PDL is fast, comparable and often outperforming IDL and MATLAB in real
    world applications. PDL allows large N-dimensional data sets such as
    large
    images, spectra, etc to be stored efficiently and manipulated quickly.

    HTH, Horst
    --
    <remove S P A M 2x from my email address to get the real one>
    Horst-W. Radners, May 18, 2014
  7. Bill Cunningham

    ccc31807 Guest

    On Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:08:17 PM UTC-4, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    > Also I have never heard of R or Julia.

    R is hot. If you do statistics or data analysis, you owe it to yourself to take a good long look at R.

    I know nothing about Julia except that people who seem to know say that it's good.

    If you are doing math, what's wrong with Fortran? You can compile it with gcc, and it's been around for a ling, long time.

    CC
    ccc31807, May 18, 2014
  8. "ccc31807" <> wrote in message
    > On Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:08:17 PM UTC-4, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >> Also I have never heard of R or Julia.

    > R is hot. If you do statistics or data analysis, you owe it to yourself to
    > take a good long look at R.
    >
    > I know nothing about Julia except that people who seem to know say that
    > it's good.
    >
    > If you are doing math, what's wrong with Fortran? You can compile it with
    > gcc, and it's been around for a ling, long time.

    I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Fortran. I have talked
    to some who swear by g77 fortran 95 and some the more recent standards. I am
    looking for opinions now before I get into anything. The (to me) simpliest
    syntax seems to be perl. Just by looking a little bit and not really getting
    into anything. But perl has modules too and I want to consider that. I am
    looking into fortran too. Ada is out. Too complicated syntax to learn for
    me.

    Bill
    Bill Cunningham, May 18, 2014
  9. "ccc31807" <> wrote in message
    > On Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:08:17 PM UTC-4, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    >> Also I have never heard of R or Julia.

    > R is hot. If you do statistics or data analysis, you owe it to yourself to
    > take a good long look at R.

    [snip]

    I appreciate your help much. Like I say I've never heard of R. I will
    definately check into it.

    Bill
    Bill Cunningham, May 18, 2014