Perl and sendmail alias/forward file

sverne

I thinking I am seeking the impossible, but here it goes...

I am using a web hosting company running Linux and sendmail. I love
the website shorturl.com and will create my own program to mimic it
using Perl (my use only). The problem is I want matching email
addresses for the unqiue short url created. So, if I create a shorturl
of a3.com/123 that is just a redirect to a long url, I want an email
address created that is (e-mail address removed) that forwards the email to another
address.

I need the Perl program to create the email alias and then delete it
later on. It would either have to modify some sendmail file or create
a .forward (which I don't know how to find or if I got access to).

I am looking for ideas of what file(s) I need to access or create to
check permissions on my existing web hosting company. Or, what other
approach I can take to accomplish. Or what question to ask other web
hosting companies when I hunt for another one that gives me access to
do this (maybe by using something besides sendmail).

Thanks in advance

Andrzej Adam Filip

[...]

Have you considered FEATURE(`virtusertable') using socke map queries?

In such configuration you can make tour *perl* script (running without
root privileges) tell sendmail if/how to rewrite (e-mail address removed)
addreseses.
Sendmail sends the socket map queries via (unix) socket using pretty
simple protocol. Sendmail distribution contains sample perl script
implementing *socket map server* and socket map client.

For more "sendmail side" details ask at