Perl Debugger displays ^H instead of backspace-ing

Sara

my version:

This is perl, v5.6.1 built for sun4-solaris

In the debugger only, instead of interpreting either "delete" or
"backspace" keys, the debugger now displays "^H". The keys work
normally in emacs, and in the unix environment, and everywhere else.
Only the perl debugger isn't interpreting it. I also tried Control-BS,
a literal ^H, etc.. Nothing backspaces anymore.

Is there a debug environment setting that would fix this? Or some .rc
file I can edit. It used to work- I'm not sure what changed it.

Thank-You and Happy Friday!