    Does Windows have any alias-like utility? Just curious.

    Thanks for your time,
    Reddy

    Naveen Reddy, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Naveen Reddy

    gnari Guest

    "Naveen Reddy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After I installed ActiveState Perl on Windows, all I had to do was
    > type "perl" on the command prompt to get started, w/o any
    > path-extensions to the perl.exe.
    >
    > Just curious how Windows resolved "perl" with
    > "C:\Progra~1\...\perl.exe".

    C:\>path

    gnari

    gnari, Jan 17, 2004

  3. Naveen Reddy wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > After I installed ActiveState Perl on Windows, all I had to do was
    > type "perl" on the command prompt to get started, w/o any
    > path-extensions to the perl.exe.
    >
    > Just curious how Windows resolved "perl" with
    > "C:\Progra~1\...\perl.exe".

    Try "set path". You may be surprised.

    > Did the installer do any Unix-y alias of the sort:
    > alias perl "C:\Progra~1\...\perl.exe" :)

    No, nothing of that kind.

    > Does Windows have any alias-like utility? Just curious.

    Sure it does.

    For details you may want ask in a NG that deals with Windows basics because
    nothing of this has anything to do with Perl. It is basic OS knowledge.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 17, 2004
  4. Naveen Reddy

    Robert Guest

    > Hi all,
    > After I installed ActiveState Perl on Windows, all I had to do was
    > type "perl" on the command prompt to get started, w/o any
    > path-extensions to the perl.exe.
    >
    > Just curious how Windows resolved "perl" with
    > "C:\Progra~1\...\perl.exe".
    > Did the installer do any Unix-y alias of the sort:
    > alias perl "C:\Progra~1\...\perl.exe" :)
    >
    > Does Windows have any alias-like utility? Just curious.
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    > Reddy

    If on the Windows 98 system it appends to the PATH probably in your
    autoexec.bat but on 2000/XP it puts it into the ENV path. If you put the .PL
    in the ENV as well you don't have to type "perl somefile.pl" only
    "somefile.pl".

    Robert, Jan 17, 2004
  5. Yes, when you did the install you may have noticed one of
    the dialog options was to add perl to your path. It is
    selected by default so perl was magically added to your
    path.

    Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Environment Variables

    The ActiveState install also associates the .pl extension with
    perl default. A pretty worthless and irritating thing IMO. I
    always deselect that when I install.

    I don't really think Windows has a Unix-like alias utility (it
    would be interesting to learn this for sure). I always do things
    like that with .bat files. Like setting up csh files or the like
    somewhere in your path on Unix. Not nearly as nice as true aliases.

    Arvin Portlock, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Naveen Reddy

    Web Surfer Guest

    [This followup was posted to comp.lang.perl.misc]

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    > After I installed ActiveState Perl on Windows, all I had to do was
    > type "perl" on the command prompt to get started, w/o any
    > path-extensions to the perl.exe.
    >
    > Just curious how Windows resolved "perl" with
    > "C:\Progra~1\...\perl.exe".

    Check your PATH environment variable. The installation process
    must have added a reference to Perl's BIN directory to the path.

    > Did the installer do any Unix-y alias of the sort:
    > alias perl "C:\Progra~1\...\perl.exe" :)

    Unlikely; Windows does not really have an alias facility.

    Web Surfer, Jan 17, 2004
  7. Naveen Reddy

    Naveen Reddy Guest

    Thanks everbody for your responses.