perl + script files from only one directory

magne.nilsen

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure perl (win) in such a
way that all necessary binary and script files can be run from a
single directory? I have an EXE+DLL+support files packer that can
totally wrap all its files and unpack and run them from a single exe,
as long as all needed files are in the same directory... I can accept
some real temp files being created in the temp directory, but I need
perl to run without having the \in \lib \script etc.etc
subdrectories... I 've seen what the PAR module can do, but that just
unpacks the total structure with subdirs to a temp area... which is
not what I am looking for. Alternatively, is there any alternative
"compilers" that truly compiles absolutely all needed files into a
single EXE ?

Magne

Reinhard Pagitsch

not what I am looking for. Alternatively, is there any alternative
"compilers" that truly compiles absolutely all needed files into a
single EXE ?

Yes PAR do it also. Use pp.bat to compile the .pl script and the used
modules. The documentation can be found under /perl/html/bin/pp.html

regards,
Reinhard

magne.nilsen

Yes PAR do it also. Use pp.bat to compile the .pl script and the used
modules. The documentation can be found under /perl/html/bin/pp.html

In my win install there are no pp.bat nor pp.html...
Still, what I've seen from par is a single EXE that when run extracts
a complete perl environment and all files and sundirs to a temp area,
which is the opposite of what I am looking for... :(

Magne

Reinhard Pagitsch

In my win install there are no pp.bat nor pp.html...
Still, what I've seen from par is a single EXE that when run extracts
a complete perl environment and all files and sundirs to a temp area,
which is the opposite of what I am looking for... :(

Hmm, pp.bat is part of the PP module, install the PP module and you have
the pp.bat. On Windows there will be also a single EXE file but there
will be no extraction of the perl environment to a temp file.
Take a look: http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/module/pp.
I am satisfied with the Perl Packager. I use the exe files on servers
where no Perl is installed.
An other option would be perl2exe from http://www.indigostar.com/, but
it is not free. You can download a trial version to show how it works.

Reinhard

magne.nilsen

Hmm, pp.bat is part of the PP module, install the PP module and you have
the pp.bat. On Windows there will be also a single EXE file but there
will be no extraction of the perl environment to a temp file.
Take a look:http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/module/pp.
I am satisfied with the Perl Packager. I use the exe files on servers
where no Perl is installed.
An other option would be perl2exe fromhttp://www.indigostar.com/, but
it is not free. You can download a trial version to show how it works.

Reinhard

Great, getting closer....

ref: http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/PAR-Packer/pp.html#Stand_alone_setup
so - running pp without "--dependent" and with "--gui" is meant to
produce a single win.exe that does not recreate the perl environment
in the temp dir, and also without a win console window ?

Thanks,
Magne

Reinhard Pagitsch

Michele said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once you have your .exe, you can operate on it with AS's exetype.

exetype foo.exe WINDOWS

Great, that I did not know. I will keep it in mind.
Thanks to the authors of PAR and pp.

regards,
Reinhard

magne.nilsen

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once you have your .exe, you can operate on it with AS's exetype.

exetype foo.exe WINDOWS

should do.

HTH,
Michele

sorry - it still recreates a complete perl subdir structure and more
in:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\par-UserName
(\inc\lib ++ subdirs and \sript with .pl files)

perl2exe-8.80-Win32 OTOH seems to do it without these things...
so I guess I'll have to trace that route. ($$, but that's OK)

Thanks to all!
Magne