perl zombies

Uri Guttman

H> there are some people in the perl community that want to follow a
H> party line and become so intolerant of anything outside of their
H> own mindset...it is really a _bad_thing_

H> IMHO (uri being case in point)

your opinion doesn't mean much in the perl community. oh, well. live
inside your petty little world. you have professed to not to use common
and stable modules. that is against all basic tenets of coding in any
language. so you think you can recode all the modules on cpan? go ahead.

now if you post here, expect comments on your code including not using
modules.

uri

Uri Guttman

H> uri...you've acted like a prick all night....I come in here with
H> some honest questions and you give me this party line like
H> "ohhhhhhh....no cgi by yourself" and "oooooooh...you are a beginner
H> if you don't use Soap::Lite"

and you have acted like so many self taught coders who think they can
solve all problems by themselves. i am not concerned about what you
do. and your future potential employers would be wise to be wary of you.

but i am concerned about others who read your posts and i want to make
sure they don't follow your bad lead. solving cgi or soap for a specific
case is less than trivial. you don't seem to get that. you won't until
you tire of editing all the strings each time something minor
changes. that is the root reason for module development and reuse. you
will just have to live through your own bad experiences before you see
the light. as for party line, i didn't write it nor do i preach it. i
just expose those who profess to know things and who really don't.

H> bah!!

humbug!

now please go away and code in your little corner. you won't be getting
much help here anymore with that attitude.

uri

Hudson

there are some people in the perl community that want to follow a party line and
become so intolerant of anything outside of their own mindset...it is really a
_bad_thing_

IMHO (uri being case in point)

Hudson

Well, not too many comments, since I suspect a lot of killfiles received
a new entry...

for what? for speaking the truth? close your eyes then and be blind...there's
enough fun on the internet for me without you reading my posts ;-)

Randal L. Schwartz

Mark> Any one who reads this group with any regularity knows who the leaders are.
Mark> I recognize the credentials of the knowledgeable individuals who form the
Mark> core of this group. More, I recognize the style of answers so well that I
Mark> can most often guess the author of the response without reading the
Mark> signature. While these answers vary in tone, some of the most terse offer
Mark> the best, clearest, most concise of answers. I will not be misled by a one
Mark> time poster who disregards the most common rules of etiquette established in
Mark> this group. While I appreciate your attempt to protect me, I find it
Mark> somewhat patronizing that you think me so dull I cannot do this for myself.

Because it's not *you* of whom we speak.

It is precisely for the google-hit-and-run reader. Which of these are better
when viewed in a search engine?

Question gets posted
Troll answer gets posted
Good answer gets posted

Question gets posted
Troll answer gets posted
Troll answer gets challenged
Troller responds
Troll answer gets challenged
Troller responds
Good answer gets posted

Certainly, the latter, because the casual reader can at least be
alerted to the fact that a troll answer is getting challenged even if
it seems to be a continual game of "who speaks last" and "king of the
hill".

So, Mark, we're not watching out for you... you can obviously
recognize the trolls. We watch out for the casual reader, who cannot
discriminate as you can.

Unfortunately, the best thread is:

Question gets posted
Good answer gets posted

But we can't do that without moderation, and that's not going to
happen in comp.lang.perl.misc.

print "Just another Perl hacker,"

Randal L. Schwartz

hudson> Randal, you missed the whole point of Mark's thread. His point was
hudson> learning what is under the hood is a good thing and all this talk of
hudson> not reinventing the wheel stops people from doing that.

Well, the moment I see someone actually studying prior art before
reinventing the wheel, I'll be ALL FOR THAT.

So far, that hasn't happened. Not in your case, not in others.

Mark

but i am concerned about others who read your posts and i want to make
sure they don't follow your bad lead.

As a long time ghost of this group I'll take this as an invitation to weigh
in.

Any one who reads this group with any regularity knows who the leaders are.
I recognize the credentials of the knowledgeable individuals who form the
core of this group. More, I recognize the style of answers so well that I
can most often guess the author of the response without reading the
signature. While these answers vary in tone, some of the most terse offer
the best, clearest, most concise of answers. I will not be misled by a one
time poster who disregards the most common rules of etiquette established in
this group. While I appreciate your attempt to protect me, I find it
somewhat patronizing that you think me so dull I cannot do this for myself.
Is it your contention that because I don't know Perl my judgment must be
impaired? I assure you it is not.

As a matter of fact, I see valid points in the OPs argument. Because a
module is available to do a task, should the knowledge of how to do without
be lost? Too often I see 'leaders' inferring there is no good reason to
're-invent the wheel' and I disagree. Unless you originally invented the
wheel, there is every good reason to study the concept, familiarize yourself
with the capabilities of the principle, and to move beyond the foundation of
knowledge gained in this manner. Liken a module to a calculator in that both
are a device for automating some function. Do you advise that none should
learn to add? Surely you see the value of learning addition in spite of the
errors that will undoubtedly be made. Of course the speed and accuracy of
the calculator should be touted, but so should the value of experimenting
for the sake of knowledge. Methods, advantages, and limitations should be
discussed freely.

I admit I have little to contribute here, Perl is an interest to me, but not
a specialty. I read most every post, learn what I can, but (with rare
exception) refrain from posting- I am intimidated by the tone of this group.
I find the rules of conduct too strict to be comfortable, too arbitrary to
be intuitive, and too indiscriminately applied to be confident that what is
a carefully researched, thought out, and worded inquiry (at least at my
level of understanding) will be met with any level of benevolence. I have
read, in previous responses to this complaint, the assertion that this is
not a help desk- that argument was (in at least two cases) followed only a
sentence later by 'If you want our help you'll...' (note that the poster
speaks for the group, and take my assurance this was not argued). I have
also read that posts are only considered invitations to discuss a topic and
that any help received is incidental to the discussion. I find this
contradictory, especially when follow-ups are interspersed with responses
that counterpoint the original post sentence by sentence. Even after years
of ghosting this group I am unable find consistency in some very common
behaviors here.

Before offering justification, consider how many posts have been answered by
the terse comment: "And your Perl question is?" At the time of my
(admittedly OT) contribution not a single complaint has been raised in a
thread of some 20+ posts.

Most importantly: do not take my comments as critique, nor as an address to
any particular individual. I did not found this group nor do I expect that
it should run, in any sense, for my benefit. There is a huge amount of
knowledge here and I consider it a great privilege to gain what I do from
the professionals who offer their time on this public form. Still this is a
/public/ forum and, as such, open to rebuttal when my interests are
considered- even indirectly.

Mark

Just another carpenter.

Tad McClellan

Many people who have much knowledge and experience get frustrated when
ignorami request help, and then spurn the help because it doesn't
matche the inquisitors mindset.

Another one for my "insightful quote" file.

Thanks.

hudson

Randal, you missed the whole point of Mark's thread. His point was
learning what is under the hood is a good thing and all this talk of
not reinventing the wheel stops people from doing that.

Think, man...this is all about knowledge and understanding, not just
doing the "right thing"

Vlad Tepes

hudson said:
christ, man...your spelling and english are poor or you are in the
sixth grade...how's that for pointing out ignorance?

here's with spell checking, but I still can't decode your thoughts
because of the poor grammer:

It looks like you need to check your own spelling, grammar and
punctuation...

hudson

I don't wish to be a pedent here but I wish to challenge your use of
the word "Troll" in this context. A troll is someone who knowlingly
posts missleading or incorrect infomation for the amusement value
there of. Trolls perposely sturs up trouble because they like sturing
up trouble.

Hudson like ansers don't come from knowligly posting incorrect
infomation, Hudson's answers come from ignorence. So its inaccurate
to class him as a troll.

christ, man...your spelling and english are poor or you are in the
sixth grade...how's that for pointing out ignorance?

here's with spell checking, but I still can't decode your thoughts
because of the poor grammer:

Sam Holden

[ some unattributed person said: ]
christ, man...your spelling and english are poor or you are in the
sixth grade...how's that for pointing out ignorance?

Did you read his .signature?

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.

Making fun of someone's medical condition does indeed show
some ignorance, so you are right there (for once).

Shameful.

But expected from such people. It goes with the "kiddies" bit of
"script kiddies", along with making fun of old people who have trouble
getting on to escalators, and disabled people who walk "funny".

David is nice guy, he was the perl beachhead amongst the
python programmers in our department...

hudson

Did you read his .signature?
geez...I have no idea that someone had a medical condition.

the page is 404, by the way
But expected from such people. It goes with the "kiddies" bit of
"script kiddies", along with making fun of old people who have trouble
getting on to escalators, and disabled people who walk "funny".

I am not a script kiddie, so screw you, sam...
David is nice guy, he was the perl beachhead amongst the
python programmers in our department...

you know what...David called me ignorant, so I still think he is a
prick regardless of his condition....

Hudson

hey David, sorry, but I didn't understand your condition.
Because you act in a mannor which indercates you lack knolige.

From you that is a high compliment.

Good...I like to give out compliments where they are deserved ;-)