Perlcc and converting scripts to bytecode

Warren Bell

I'm running Perl 5.8.2 on linux. I've heard a little about perlcc so I
desided to try it on one of my scripts (perlcc -o index -B index.cgi)
and I have a few questions:

Will the script in bytecode run faster?

Can I distribute the script in bytecode and will it work on most
linux/unix systems with perl?

Is it easy for someone to turn that bytecode back into my original source?

Ben Morrow

Warren Bell said:
I'm running Perl 5.8.2 on linux. I've heard a little about perlcc so I
desided to try it on one of my scripts (perlcc -o index -B index.cgi)
and I have a few questions:

perlcc is considered experimental, and should not be used for
production code.
Will the script in bytecode run faster?

No. Startup will (may) be faster, due to not having to compile the
program initially.
Can I distribute the script in bytecode and will it work on most
linux/unix systems with perl?

Yes, if it has 'use Bytecode;' at the top.
Is it easy for someone to turn that bytecode back into my original
source?

Yes. See B::Deparse.

Ben

Robert

Warren said:
I'm running Perl 5.8.2 on linux. I've heard a little about perlcc so I
desided to try it on one of my scripts (perlcc -o index -B index.cgi)
and I have a few questions:

Will the script in bytecode run faster?

Can I distribute the script in bytecode and will it work on most
linux/unix systems with perl?

Is it easy for someone to turn that bytecode back into my original source?
If you only trying to compile a standalone try PAR.

Bob

Andreas Schmidt

If you only trying to compile a standalone try PAR.

Wow, I have never heard of Par before, but it definitely sounds cool.
What's the impact so far? Will it be as successful as JAR for java?

Robert

Andreas said:
Wow, I have never heard of Par before, but it definitely sounds cool.
What's the impact so far? Will it be as successful as JAR for java?
I is pretty cool IMHO. I have only used it a couple of times on Windows
to produce a standalone EXE.

As far as it taking off, only the Perl gods know that one...