    framework wont allow permissions to do such a thing.

    Can anyone tell me how I can set permissions on my machine so that I can run
    this ?

    =?Utf-8?B?cG9wcHk=?=, Jan 19, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cG9wcHk=?=

    Piz Guest

    Have you defined the permissions in the IIS website properties?

    Piz, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Thats not the problem.

    Its the client. I must set up the .net framework to accept any actions
    coming from this URL. It must allow my dll to perform whatever it wants on
    the client machine.

    It just so happens that its on localhost at the moment.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG9wcHk=?=, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Mark S. Milley, MCAD (BinarySwitch), Jan 19, 2006
  5. I have gone in to the .net configuration manager and set the URL as trusted
    but still no joy.

    =?Utf-8?B?cG9wcHk=?=, Jan 19, 2006
  6. To be honest, I'm not sure if this is even possible--at least, without
    extensive work.

    ASP.NET code executes on the server, and as such, that is all it has
    access to.

    In addition, JavaScript is restricted from accessing the file system,
    so that rules that out.

    The only way I could imagine being able to access the client's file
    system is to create an ActiveX control that the clients would have to
    download and install, and that code would have to be trusted on the
    client machine.

    You may be better off to re-evaluate the architecture of your
    application--does it really need this functionality? If the answer is
    yes, you should probably look into developing a windows forms/smart
    client.

    What exactly are you trying to do, anyway? Why would a user go to your
    website to navigate the files on his local machine?

    Mark S. Milley, MCAD (BinarySwitch), Jan 24, 2006