permissions problem with executing javascript?

Full Name

The question is not about writing javascript, but having it
execute in a browser (IE, firefox or opera, doesn't matter).
Since the last series of updates in win2K, javascript no longer
executes. If I am in an admin logon, it executes fine. I have
installed and uninstalled the java runtime engine several times.
It seems to be a permissions problem, but i am baffled. My
borwsers all have javascript enabled, as dopes my firewall and
proxy. Even diabling the firewall and proxomitron compeltely
fails to correct the prpblem. As noted, having them enabled but
running in the admin account is fine. Any help would be deeply
appreciated.

chagin1 at yahoo dot com

Matt - EditMe.com

Chagin1,

Have you tried searching Microsoft's Knowledgebase:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;KBHOWTO - or
calling MS directly? Seems like a Windows-specific issue and probably
unrelated to Javascript.

You might also hit up the people who participate in this site...
they're experts on running Windows as a non-Administrator.
http://nonadmin.editme.com/

For what it's worth... the Java Runtime has nothing to do with
Javascript. Java and Javascript are completely different things and are
only symantically related.

Cheers,
Matt

Full Name

Chagin1,

Have you tried searching Microsoft's Knowledgebase:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;KBHOWTO - or
calling MS directly? Seems like a Windows-specific issue and probably
unrelated to Javascript.

Calling htem costs $35, and the KB has nothing that I could find
You might also hit up the people who participate in this site...
they're experts on running Windows as a non-Administrator.
http://nonadmin.editme.com/

OK, thanks.
For what it's worth... the Java Runtime has nothing to do with
Javascript. Java and Javascript are completely different things and are
only symantically related.

Interesting. The command to empty the bulk maibox on yahoo mail
is "javascript:EmptyFolder('@B@Bulk')" and it is this kind of
command that will not execute in any of my browsers. If it says
javascript, I thought that this might be the appropriate forum
to ask....

chagin1 at yahoo dot com

VK

Full said:
Interesting. The command to empty the bulk maibox on yahoo mail
is "javascript:EmptyFolder('@B@Bulk')" and it is this kind of
command that will not execute in any of my browsers. If it says
javascript, I thought that this might be the appropriate forum
to ask....

Yes, it is JavaScript. So Java has nothing to do with your problem, so
you can stop re-installing Java plug-in.

This is the actual code of the EmptyFolder function from Yahoo! Mail

function EmptyFolder(folder)
{
var warnonempty = folder == "@B@Bulk" ? (!noDelBulkMsgWarning) :
(!noDelAllMsgWarning)
var emptyFol = true;
if(warnonempty)
{
var sMessage = folder == "@B@Bulk" ? "Are you sure? Deleted Bulk
messages are gone forever, and will not go to your Trash folder." :
"Are you sure you want to empty the folder?";
emptyFol = showEmptyFolderWarning(sMessage, folder);
}

if(emptyFol)
{
var url = "/ym/ShowFolder?";
url += folder == "Trash" ? "ET" : "EB";
url += "=1&.crumb=pEq.Pmp.185&reset=1&YY=73081";
window.open(url, '_self');

As you may notice, there is nothing security related here (like say
calling an ActiveX object). So the problem may be that you have
installed some crazy security fix like this one:
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875345>

But I'm not aware of any secirity fixes that would disable javascript:
pseudo-protocol as it is. So the problem may be also in some
firewall/anti-spyware/anti-virus settings.

To narrow the problem you may want to install a copy of Firefox
(www.mozilla.org) on one of problematic machines and check if Yahoo!
Mail will work for it.

Full Name

you can stop re-installing Java plug-in.

Thank you. I hoped that was true, since as administrator,
everything works OK.
...So the problem may be that you have
installed some crazy security fix like this one:
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875345>

If it was a standard security update from the microsoft update
site, perhaps. I hvae done nothing esoteric to my knowledge.
Does the actual "fix" have a KB number?
...So the problem may be also in some
firewall/anti-spyware/anti-virus settings.

With symantec DISabled, it still doesn't work as user. With
symantec ENabled, it DOES work as administrator.
To narrow the problem you may want to install a copy of Firefox
(www.mozilla.org) on one of problematic machines and check if Yahoo!
Mail will work for it.

I have reinstalled Firefox as well. Neither it, nor Opera nor
IE work as user. All 3 work as Administrator.