persistent flash (music) and new URL on each page

Anze

Hi all!

I have a problem that I can't solve... I am beginning to think that solution
even doesn't exist, but - let's hope I'm wrong. :)

The site I'm developing should play the music in the background (if the
visitor turns it on). I am using flash to play the music. The problem is
that as the visitor is changing the pages the flash object gets
demolished - which means the music stops. I have created a solution that
restarts the music on the next page on the same place it stopped, but the
music goes quiet for a split second on every page change, which is a bit
annoying.

I have considered using frames or AJAX for the main content (to make sure
flash stays there), but - the pages must be search engine friendly,
besides, I hate pages where URLs don't change. And currently there seems to
be no way to let the browser know that the page in the frame also has its
own URL.

The only other solution is using a popup, but that poses its own problems -
popups are commonly blocked and a lot of users don't know about information
bar and what it tris to tell them.

Is there some solution I haven't thought of? Can flash be made persistent
without popups or frames/AJAX?

I would be grateful for some ideas, clues, tips,... Even "it can't be done"
would be appreciated.

Thanks and happy coding!

Anze

Neredbojias

[...]

Uh, what if you leave the page and never come back? How does the music
stop? Furthermore, non-user-initiated background music is a horseshit
idea.

dorayme

Furthermore, non-user-initiated background music is a horseshit
idea.

Just look at these two statements next to each other in black and
white and see what you think Mr. Logic.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Uh, what if you leave the page and never come back? How does the music
stop? Furthermore, non-user-initiated background music is a horseshit
idea.

Well, he did say "if the visitor turns it on" (second paragraph).

Neredbojias

Just look at these two statements next to each other in black and
white and see what you think Mr. Logic.

I swear to you on a stack of bibles that I didn't see this until now and
posted my reply to the other thread in, uh, ignorance (sorta). As I said
there, anyone can miss something.

Neredbojias

Well, blink. <sigh> Do I have to teach you hoo-mans *everything*?

Should a shark sigh, the resultant bubbles give away his location. Don't
act like a tuna.

Anze

No idea then? Well, thanks anyway, I'll take that as "those are your only
options"... :)

Enjoy,

Anze

Travis Newbury

No idea then? Well, thanks anyway, I'll take that as "those are your only
options"... :)

Actually there is one more option. That is to open a new window that
contains the Flash music player. Move this window way off the screen
so the user can not see it. Then use a Flash local connection to
communicate the visitors preferences to the music player as he moves
from page to page. At the same time, the player should look for a
Flash Shared Object that exists as long as the user is on one of your
pages. As soon as you leave the site, the music player "knows" and
removes itself.

Andy Dingley

The problem is
that as the visitor is changing the pages the flash object gets
demolished - which means the music stops.

AFAIK, you're stuck here.

The workaround is to always have the "page with the music" continually
open. You then juggle the content pages within this, without
disturbing the music page. Careful styling means that the user still
only sees one page. It's dead easy to do with frames or iframes (with
their usual drawbacks), there might be a way to do it with popups too
(but I'm inclined to doubt it).

mrcakey

Andy Dingley said:
AFAIK, you're stuck here.

The workaround is to always have the "page with the music" continually
open. You then juggle the content pages within this, without
disturbing the music page. Careful styling means that the user still
only sees one page. It's dead easy to do with frames or iframes (with
their usual drawbacks), there might be a way to do it with popups too
(but I'm inclined to doubt it).

You could add flashing text and a marquee too - that'd look great.

+mrcakey