persistent popup window

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kjk, Jul 16, 2007.

  1. kjk

    kjk Guest

    Hi Folks,

    Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
    the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

    <a href="javascript:eek:penjukebox('audio/Memories and Messages.htm',
    'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
    scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
    screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>

    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

    Ken
    kjk, Jul 16, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. kjk wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
    > the popup window persistently float above all other windows?
    >

    why would you want to interfere your website with the client
    OS-behaviour? What do you do if I am running lynx on my debian-box in
    console mode?
    How do you treat the fact, that I use pop-up-blockers on all my UAs?
    Just don't try to do such things. Your audience has its reasons why they
    don't like pop-ups.

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Jul 16, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. kjk

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:13:22 GMT
    kjk scribed:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
    > the popup window persistently float above all other windows?
    >
    > <a href="javascript:eek:penjukebox('audio/Memories and Messages.htm',
    > 'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
    > scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
    > screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>


    There used to be some kind of always-on-top option for javascript windows
    but I believe it has been superceded by common sense.

    Incidentally, MS seems to have a similar basic misconception. If _I_ can't
    get _my_ browser to work the way _I_ want it to, I just won't use it. At
    the moment, Firefox is the best browser "out there", Opera is second, IE6
    is probably third, and IE7 fourth. Yes, this will undoubtedly cause
    comment, but it's nonetheless true. All of them have more bugs than they
    should have, but I would consider the attitude at mozilla.com regarding the
    issue to be the best.

    --
    Neredbojias
    A self-made man who worships his creator
    Neredbojias, Jul 16, 2007
    #3
  4. kjk

    kjk Guest

    So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
    don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
    but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

    Ken

    -----------------------

    On 16 Jul 2007 21:05:17 GMT, Neredbojias <>
    wrote:

    >Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:13:22 GMT
    >kjk scribed:
    >
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
    >> the popup window persistently float above all other windows?
    >>
    >> <a href="javascript:eek:penjukebox('audio/Memories and Messages.htm',
    >> 'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
    >> scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
    >> screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>

    >
    >There used to be some kind of always-on-top option for javascript windows
    >but I believe it has been superceded by common sense.
    >
    >Incidentally, MS seems to have a similar basic misconception. If _I_ can't
    >get _my_ browser to work the way _I_ want it to, I just won't use it. At
    >the moment, Firefox is the best browser "out there", Opera is second, IE6
    >is probably third, and IE7 fourth. Yes, this will undoubtedly cause
    >comment, but it's nonetheless true. All of them have more bugs than they
    >should have, but I would consider the attitude at mozilla.com regarding the
    >issue to be the best.
    kjk, Jul 17, 2007
    #4
  5. kjk wrote:
    > So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
    > don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
    > but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.


    Please don't top post. You have essentially received the answer, but
    maybe the explanations have been too obtuse. The answer, your really
    cannot do it. It was recognized as a security issue back in Netscape 4.x
    and the property "alwaysRaised" required a signed script. Popup windows
    in general are a bad idea and modern browsers give the user ultimate
    control to prevent them. My advice is to rethink your design.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 17, 2007
    #5
  6. kjk

    Bergamot Guest

    kjk wrote:
    >
    > I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.


    FYI, this isn't a help desk, so we are under no obligation to give you
    the answer you seek. This is a discussion group, so we discuss things
    such as the merits of your query (or lack thereof).

    Pop-up windows are generally evil things. We'd rather tell you you're
    likely hurting yourself by doing whatever it is you want to do, instead
    of giving you instruction on how to shoot yourself in the foot.

    Most of us have learned how to disable pop-ups altogether. It does make
    the web a nicer place. ;)

    And please don't top post.
    http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Jul 17, 2007
    #6
  7. kjk wrote:
    > So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
    > don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
    > but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.


    I'd say you missed the category "know, criticise". Well, not exactly
    "missed", rather "don't want to hear".


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 17, 2007
    #7
  8. kjk wrote:
    > So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
    > don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
    > but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.


    http://blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 17, 2007
    #8
  9. kjk

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jul 16, 1:13 pm, kjk <> wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
    > the popup window persistently float above all other windows?
    >
    > <a href="javascript:eek:penjukebox('audio/Memories and Messages.htm',
    > 'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
    > scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
    > screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>
    >
    > Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Ken


    As others have stated, this sort of thing is not as popular now as it
    once was. However, if you can turn the window on and off, and those
    who have script turned off can still buy your widgets(or see your
    important information) without the window, then this becomes a matter
    of taste and style. You might go to http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ and
    look at the Script Categories list and select Window and Frames. There
    are several listed, and usually there is a demo for each one and what
    browsers they work on is specified. Most of these scripts have been
    brought up to date and work on recent IE, Firefox and often Opera.
    Support for Netscape 4's layers has been removed from most, since this
    browser seldom is used anymore, and including layers code greatly
    complicates the script. In most cases this type of script is designed
    just not to show an effect and otherwise work normally if the browser
    does not support it, script is turned off, etc. Even so, it is a good
    idea to test by turning script off on your browser to be certain
    everything works properly other than the window is gone.
    cwdjrxyz, Jul 17, 2007
    #9
  10. Scripsit Jonathan N. Little:

    > kjk wrote:
    >> So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
    >> don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
    >> but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

    >
    > Please don't top post.


    Why not? As long as "kjk" wishes to remain completely clueless, top posting
    is a useful indicator of this situation.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 17, 2007
    #10
  11. On Jul 16, 5:05 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > There used to be some kind of always-on-top option for javascript windows
    > but I believe it has been superceded by common sense.


    No doubt...

    > At
    > the moment, Firefox is the best browser "out there", Opera is second, IE6
    > is probably third, and IE7 fourth. Yes, this will undoubtedly cause
    > comment, but it's nonetheless true.


    I agree with your list from a technical standpoint. Maybe even a usage
    standpoint after someone tries them all, but I would have to put some
    version of IE first and FF second in a reality list.

    > All of them have more bugs than they
    > should have, but I would consider the attitude at mozilla.com regarding the
    > issue to be the best.


    I completely agree. FF is (can be) more than just a browser with all
    of its plugins. As a development tool it is great
    Travis Newbury, Jul 17, 2007
    #11
  12. On Jul 16, 9:28 pm, kjk <> wrote:
    > So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
    > don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
    > but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.


    Aw for the love of pete why did you have to go and say that? Now you
    are going to be told this is not your personal help desk, that all of
    the answers were valid answer to your question, and that it is a dumb
    thing to do, and this is a discussion and if you get your question
    answered (with an answer that is acceptable to you) then you are
    lucky.

    Now, here is my answer; I don't know if there is code to do this
    because I accept the idea that I probably shouldn't (But there is
    always google if I change my mind)
    Travis Newbury, Jul 17, 2007
    #12
  13. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Jonathan N. Little:
    >
    >> kjk wrote:
    >>> So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
    >>> don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
    >>> but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

    >>
    >> Please don't top post.

    >
    > Why not? As long as "kjk" wishes to remain completely clueless, top
    > posting is a useful indicator of this situation.
    >


    Ever the optimist I try to give folks the opportunity to "get a clue".
    Of course every now and then we get a real dunderhead, but usually the
    Germans take care of them and they retreat to Sweden...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 17, 2007
    #13
  14. kjk

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:52:01
    GMT Travis Newbury scribed:

    >> At
    >> the moment, Firefox is the best browser "out there", Opera is second,
    >> IE6 is probably third, and IE7 fourth. Yes, this will undoubtedly
    >> cause comment, but it's nonetheless true.

    >
    > I agree with your list from a technical standpoint. Maybe even a usage
    > standpoint after someone tries them all, but I would have to put some
    > version of IE first and FF second in a reality list.


    Not to be argumentative, but I really hate ie7. Sure, some of the styling
    issues are fixed and maybe the security is a bit improved, but I think it
    lost more than it gained. Where's the native ftp (which is largely why I
    use ie6 in the first place), the brisk, snappy response time, and why can't
    you customize the moronically-laid-out toolbar? If I died and could only
    take 2 browsers with me to geek-purgatory, they'd be Firefox and ie6.
    (Opera has some innovative features and some suprisingly perfected styling
    features but it just has too many bugs in operation to make me a happy
    camper.)

    >> All of them have more bugs than they
    >> should have, but I would consider the attitude at mozilla.com
    >> regarding the issue to be the best.

    >
    > I completely agree. FF is (can be) more than just a browser with all
    > of its plugins. As a development tool it is great


    Yep. Just wish they'd hurry up and fix a few more things including but not
    limited to inline-block.

    --
    Neredbojias
    A self-made man who worships his creator
    Neredbojias, Jul 17, 2007
    #14
  15. kjk

    kjk Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:13:22 GMT, kjk <> wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
    >the popup window persistently float above all other windows?
    >
    ><a href="javascript:eek:penjukebox('audio/Memories and Messages.htm',
    >'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
    >scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
    >screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>
    >
    >Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    >Ken


    Finally, some real answers. Thank you Jonathan and cwdjrxyz, and for
    the benefit of both of you, I will try to remember not to top post.
    There was a time, back in the dinosaur days, when a technical question
    on usenet would immediately receive dozens of purely technical
    answers. Today, it seems, usenet has gradually moved closer to being
    a kiddie chat site.

    It is possible that I didn't state my question technically accurately.
    The purpose of the above code is as follows:

    I maintain a simple family website which includes some audio files of
    family musicians, some quite talented. With very limited HTML skills,
    I'm trying to put together a music player that will allow family
    members to listen to those files while browsing the site, to select
    the next audio file that they'd like to hear, using a window that
    remains accessible at all times, while not interfering with the page
    that they're viewing, while also not allowing them to capture the
    audio file, some of which may be commercially viable. It's possible
    that this particular use of a persistent window may even be acceptable
    to the folks at alt.html.

    The above code is the beginning of that process. I have no idea
    whether this is technically possible, but I do know that in my early
    computer days I learned a whole lot from usenet, so I thought that I'd
    ask what I perceived to be an innocent question.

    If anybody here can provide any additional helpful technical info, I'd
    sure like to hear it. Thanks.

    Ken
    kjk, Jul 17, 2007
    #15
  16. kjk wrote:

    > ..I'm trying to put together a music player that will allow family
    > members to listen to those files while browsing the site, to select
    > the next audio file that they'd like to hear, using a window that
    > remains accessible at all times,


    Why not give them an instruction/advice to "right-click this link and
    choose 'Open in new window' so you can listen to the music while you
    browse the rest of the site" ?

    Most people should be smart enough to understand that, I think. Mebbe.

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 17, 2007
    #16
  17. kjk

    kjk Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:47:52 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >kjk wrote:
    >
    >> ..I'm trying to put together a music player that will allow family
    >> members to listen to those files while browsing the site, to select
    >> the next audio file that they'd like to hear, using a window that
    >> remains accessible at all times,

    >
    >Why not give them an instruction/advice to "right-click this link and
    >choose 'Open in new window' so you can listen to the music while you
    >browse the rest of the site" ?
    >
    >Most people should be smart enough to understand that, I think. Mebbe.


    ----------------------

    You're right, there are many different ways that it can be done. I've
    found, however, that the way I learn the most about how to get
    something to work is by insistently trying to make it work EXACTLY the
    way I'd like it to work. Thanks.

    Ken
    kjk, Jul 17, 2007
    #17
  18. kjk

    Ed Mullen Guest

    kjk wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:13:22 GMT, kjk <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
    >> the popup window persistently float above all other windows?
    >>
    >> <a href="javascript:eek:penjukebox('audio/Memories and Messages.htm',
    >> 'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
    >> scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
    >> screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>
    >>
    >> Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Ken

    >
    > Finally, some real answers. Thank you Jonathan and cwdjrxyz, and for
    > the benefit of both of you, I will try to remember not to top post.
    > There was a time, back in the dinosaur days, when a technical question
    > on usenet would immediately receive dozens of purely technical
    > answers. Today, it seems, usenet has gradually moved closer to being
    > a kiddie chat site.
    >
    > It is possible that I didn't state my question technically accurately.
    > The purpose of the above code is as follows:
    >
    > I maintain a simple family website which includes some audio files of
    > family musicians, some quite talented. With very limited HTML skills,
    > I'm trying to put together a music player that will allow family
    > members to listen to those files while browsing the site, to select
    > the next audio file that they'd like to hear, using a window that
    > remains accessible at all times, while not interfering with the page
    > that they're viewing, while also not allowing them to capture the
    > audio file, some of which may be commercially viable. It's possible
    > that this particular use of a persistent window may even be acceptable
    > to the folks at alt.html.
    >
    > The above code is the beginning of that process. I have no idea
    > whether this is technically possible, but I do know that in my early
    > computer days I learned a whole lot from usenet, so I thought that I'd
    > ask what I perceived to be an innocent question.
    >
    > If anybody here can provide any additional helpful technical info, I'd
    > sure like to hear it. Thanks.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    >


    I have a variety of .mp3 files on my site. If someone wants to listen
    to them while browsing other pages (or other sites) they just open the
    music page in a new tab, click the songs, and browse elsewhere in
    another tab. Or, just download all the .mp3 files to their own hard
    drive and setup their own play list in their favorite music player.

    I think you're probably trying to make the solution far more complex
    than it needs to be. But, hey, if you're having fun ...! ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 17, 2007
    #18
  19. kjk

    mr rudeforth Guest

    "kjk" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:47:52 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >kjk wrote:
    > >
    > >> ..I'm trying to put together a music player that will allow family
    > >> members to listen to those files while browsing the site, to select
    > >> the next audio file that they'd like to hear, using a window that
    > >> remains accessible at all times,

    > >
    > >Why not give them an instruction/advice to "right-click this link and
    > >choose 'Open in new window' so you can listen to the music while you
    > >browse the rest of the site" ?
    > >
    > >Most people should be smart enough to understand that, I think. Mebbe.

    >
    > ----------------------
    >
    > You're right, there are many different ways that it can be done. I've
    > found, however, that the way I learn the most about how to get
    > something to work is by insistently trying to make it work EXACTLY the
    > way I'd like it to work. Thanks.
    >

    just link to a m3u file (this contains full url of audio file) that points
    to the audio file and then plays music in users audio player. or soemthing
    like that.
    mr rudeforth, Jul 17, 2007
    #19
  20. kjk

    kjk Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:27:53 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >kjk wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:13:22 GMT, kjk <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Folks,
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
    >>> the popup window persistently float above all other windows?
    >>>
    >>> <a href="javascript:eek:penjukebox('audio/Memories and Messages.htm',
    >>> 'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
    >>> scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
    >>> screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>
    >>>
    >>> Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Ken

    >>
    >> Finally, some real answers. Thank you Jonathan and cwdjrxyz, and for
    >> the benefit of both of you, I will try to remember not to top post.
    >> There was a time, back in the dinosaur days, when a technical question
    >> on usenet would immediately receive dozens of purely technical
    >> answers. Today, it seems, usenet has gradually moved closer to being
    >> a kiddie chat site.
    >>
    >> It is possible that I didn't state my question technically accurately.
    >> The purpose of the above code is as follows:
    >>
    >> I maintain a simple family website which includes some audio files of
    >> family musicians, some quite talented. With very limited HTML skills,
    >> I'm trying to put together a music player that will allow family
    >> members to listen to those files while browsing the site, to select
    >> the next audio file that they'd like to hear, using a window that
    >> remains accessible at all times, while not interfering with the page
    >> that they're viewing, while also not allowing them to capture the
    >> audio file, some of which may be commercially viable. It's possible
    >> that this particular use of a persistent window may even be acceptable
    >> to the folks at alt.html.
    >>
    >> The above code is the beginning of that process. I have no idea
    >> whether this is technically possible, but I do know that in my early
    >> computer days I learned a whole lot from usenet, so I thought that I'd
    >> ask what I perceived to be an innocent question.
    >>
    >> If anybody here can provide any additional helpful technical info, I'd
    >> sure like to hear it. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    >
    >I have a variety of .mp3 files on my site. If someone wants to listen
    >to them while browsing other pages (or other sites) they just open the
    >music page in a new tab, click the songs, and browse elsewhere in
    >another tab. Or, just download all the .mp3 files to their own hard
    >drive and setup their own play list in their favorite music player.
    >
    >I think you're probably trying to make the solution far more complex
    >than it needs to be. But, hey, if you're having fun ...! ;-)


    ------------------------------

    Security is not about fun. Some of our audio files may be
    commercially viable, and I'm trying to do whatever I can to protect
    the artist from unauthorized commercial use. I understand that, with
    some technical knowledge, nothing is completely foolproof, but I want
    to make it as difficult as possible for the MP3 file to be captured to
    a casual listeners computer. The website is password protected, the
    javascript points to an HTM file, the HTM file points to an M3U file,
    the M3U file points to the MP3 file, so the average computer user
    would have some difficulty trying to locate and get at the MP3 file.
    If the MP3 file is playing in the listeners audio player, it's a
    simple process to Save As.

    If anybody here can suggest a more secure way to do it, I'd sure like
    to hear about it. Thanks.

    Ken
    kjk, Jul 17, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jay
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    6,569
    livshitz
    Jun 12, 2011
  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBXYWxrZXI=?=

    Popup Window Popup Timing

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBXYWxrZXI=?=, Nov 4, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    842
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBXYWxrZXI=?=
    Nov 4, 2005
  3. gk
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    967
    Tom Anderson
    Oct 12, 2010
  4. Jens Peter Hansen
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    520
    Randy Webb
    Jun 19, 2004
  5. Raffi
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    216
    Dr John Stockton
    Aug 12, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page