Phone Format (770) 123-1234

Eddy Soeparmin

Hi,

How do I apply phone format in a string field? for example (770) 123-1234.
Please let me know.

Thanks.

Eddy

Ray Dixon [MVP]

Hi Eddy,

If you are validating input, you can use a RegularExpressionValidator and
select U.S. Phone Number in the Regular Expression Editor (by clicking the
elipses in the ValidationExpression box in the RegularExpressionValidator's
Properties window).

Showjumper

you'd have to use javascript to do this
Eddy Soeparmin said:
Hi Ray,

No, this is not at validation. It's for display. For example, I just
retrieved data from database and would like to display phone number in (123)
123-1234 format within a datagrid.

Eddy

Swanand Mokashi

Function FormatPhoneNumbers(ByVal strInputPhoneNumber As String) As String

'Strip off the ( , ) and -

Dim strPhoneNumber As String

strInputPhoneNumber = strInputPhoneNumber.Replace(" ", "")

strInputPhoneNumber = strInputPhoneNumber.Replace("(", "")

strInputPhoneNumber = strInputPhoneNumber.Replace(")", "")

strInputPhoneNumber = strInputPhoneNumber.Replace("-", "")

'Now format it

If strInputPhoneNumber.Length >= 3 Then

strPhoneNumber = "(" & strInputPhoneNumber.Substring(0, 3) & ") "

If strInputPhoneNumber.Length < 6 Then

strPhoneNumber = strPhoneNumber & strInputPhoneNumber.Substring(3,
strInputPhoneNumber.Length - 3)

Else

strPhoneNumber = strPhoneNumber & strInputPhoneNumber.Substring(3,
3) & "-" & strInputPhoneNumber.Substring(6)

End If

End If

Return strPhoneNumber

End Function