    usingh MMU?

    volatile char* myPtr= 0x00000004;

    Regards,

    namespace1, Nov 29, 2006

  2. namespace1

    mlimber Guest

    namespace1 wrote:
    > I'm new to the drivers arena, I'm dealing with WINNT drivers (2000,XP,
    > etc....).
    > I wounder whether the addresses i form like this one, are they physical
    > without translation or they will me translated to a physical address
    > usingh MMU?
    >
    > volatile char* myPtr= 0x00000004;

    You'll want to ask in a group that deals with your platform. This one
    deals with the standard C++ language proper, not platform-dependent
    applications thereof. See this FAQ:

    Cheers! --M

    mlimber, Nov 29, 2006

  3. namespace1 wrote:
    > I'm new to the drivers arena, I'm dealing with WINNT drivers (2000,XP,
    > etc....).
    > I wounder whether the addresses i form like this one, are they
    > physical without translation or they will me translated to a physical
    > address usingh MMU?
    >
    > volatile char* myPtr= 0x00000004;

    Standard C++, the subject of this newsgroup, does not define "drivers"
    or "physical address" or "MMU". Try the newsgroup for your OS.

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 29, 2006
  4. namespace1

    Guest

    namespace1 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to the drivers arena, I'm dealing with WINNT drivers (2000,XP,
    > etc....).
    > I wounder whether the addresses i form like this one, are they physical
    > without translation or they will me translated to a physical address
    > usingh MMU?
    >
    > volatile char* myPtr= 0x00000004;

    What Victor and mlimber said.

    In addition, if you're dealing with NT/2K/XP drivers, and you don't
    know anything about them, you're either in the wrong job, or your
    employer should spring for a driver training class. This class will
    teach you about the kernel memory management API.

    Writing WDM drivers is a tricky business, and really need an
    instructor.

    Also, you should look at the MS newsgroup hierarchy, for a newsgroup
    with "ddk" in the title.

    , Nov 29, 2006