Physical Addresses VS. Logical Addresses

namespace1

Hi,

I'm new to the drivers arena, I'm dealing with WINNT drivers (2000,XP,
etc....).
I wounder whether the addresses i form like this one, are they physical
without translation or they will me translated to a physical address
usingh MMU?

volatile char* myPtr= 0x00000004;

Regards,

mlimber

namespace1 said:
I'm new to the drivers arena, I'm dealing with WINNT drivers (2000,XP,
etc....).
I wounder whether the addresses i form like this one, are they physical
without translation or they will me translated to a physical address
usingh MMU?

volatile char* myPtr= 0x00000004;

You'll want to ask in a group that deals with your platform. This one
deals with the standard C++ language proper, not platform-dependent
applications thereof. See this FAQ:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

Cheers! --M

Victor Bazarov

namespace1 said:
I'm new to the drivers arena, I'm dealing with WINNT drivers (2000,XP,
etc....).
I wounder whether the addresses i form like this one, are they
physical without translation or they will me translated to a physical
address usingh MMU?

volatile char* myPtr= 0x00000004;

Standard C++, the subject of this newsgroup, does not define "drivers"
or "physical address" or "MMU". Try the newsgroup for your OS.

redfloyd

namespace1 said:
Hi,

I'm new to the drivers arena, I'm dealing with WINNT drivers (2000,XP,
etc....).
I wounder whether the addresses i form like this one, are they physical
without translation or they will me translated to a physical address
usingh MMU?

volatile char* myPtr= 0x00000004;

What Victor and mlimber said.

In addition, if you're dealing with NT/2K/XP drivers, and you don't
know anything about them, you're either in the wrong job, or your
employer should spring for a driver training class. This class will
teach you about the kernel memory management API.

Writing WDM drivers is a tricky business, and really need an
instructor.

Also, you should look at the MS newsgroup hierarchy, for a newsgroup
with "ddk" in the title.