    Does anyone know, what IE setting results in
    showing or not showing pictures that are used
    as a link?

    Wil, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Wil

    Bergamot Guest

    Wil wrote:
    > Does anyone know, what IE setting results in
    > showing or not showing pictures that are used
    > as a link?

    There are no settings that distinguish images that are links from those
    that are not links.

    What is your real problem? And post a URL to the problem page.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Dec 14, 2006

  3. Bergamot wrote:
    > Wil wrote:
    >> Does anyone know, what IE setting results in
    >> showing or not showing pictures that are used
    >> as a link?

    I don't think it's browser's job to distinguish them from each other,
    but if image is a link, and image has a visible border, the border has a
    colour which is defined for a-elements in styles.
    If image has no border, at least, most often, cursor changes when iamge
    is hovered, but this can ( I guess) also be tampered with on stylesheet.

    > There are no settings that distinguish images that are links from those
    > that are not links.
    >
    > What is your real problem? And post a URL to the problem page.

    :D :D
    Although you are right on this...I thought this was owned by someone
    else?!?!?
    You need a vacation, man!

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Olli_M=E4ntyranta?=, Dec 15, 2006
  4. Scripsit Bergamot:

    > Wil wrote:
    >> Does anyone know, what IE setting results in
    >> showing or not showing pictures that are used
    >> as a link?

    > There are no settings that distinguish images that are links from
    > those that are not links.

    It might be argued that that there _are_ such settings in a sense. You can
    set up a user style sheet and write there, for example,
    :link img, :visited img { display: none !important; }
    to make the browser ignore, for display purposes, all images that are links
    (or inside a link). I cannot imagine why anyone would do that, but the
    distinction mention could indeed be useful, and even essentual. It's a
    different question, but a much more important one. A user style sheet could
    be used to _force_ the browser to show a colored border around an image that
    is a link (the default rendering, which authors often want to sabotage) -
    and perhaps even to omit any border around an image that is not a link, but
    that would be extravagant.

    The specific CSS code depends on how you would like to have image links
    rendered.

    > What is your real problem?

    It's presumably something completely different, but we'll see.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 15, 2006
  5. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Bergamot:
    >
    >> Wil wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know, what IE setting results in
    >>> showing or not showing pictures that are used
    >>> as a link?

    >> There are no settings that distinguish images that are links from
    >> those that are not links.

    > It might be argued that that there _are_ such settings in a sense. You
    > can set up a user style sheet and write there, for example,
    > :link img, :visited img { display: none !important; }
    > to make the browser ignore, for display purposes, all images that are
    > links (or inside a link). I cannot imagine why anyone would do that, but
    > the distinction mention could indeed be useful, and even essentual. It's
    > a different question, but a much more important one. A user style sheet
    > could be used to _force_ the browser to show a colored border around an
    > image that is a link (the default rendering, which authors often want to
    > sabotage) - and perhaps even to omit any border around an image that is
    > not a link, but that would be extravagant.

    I contemplated mentioning user CSS, but the PO said "IE setting", Does
    IE even have a preference stylesheet like Gecko?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 15, 2006
  6. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > I contemplated mentioning user CSS, but the PO said "IE setting", Does
    > IE even have a preference stylesheet like Gecko?

    Do you mean such as:
    Tools > Internet Options > Click the Accessibility button

    Fill in the name of the CSS file somewhere on your computer.
    But be careful; other things besides the browser use it. Like the
    desktop.

    Oh wait ... this is IE, the Operating System component!

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 15, 2006
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> I contemplated mentioning user CSS, but the PO said "IE setting", Does
    >> IE even have a preference stylesheet like Gecko?

    > Do you mean such as:
    > Tools > Internet Options > Click the Accessibility button
    >
    > Fill in the name of the CSS file somewhere on your computer.
    > But be careful; other things besides the browser use it. Like the
    > desktop.
    >
    > Oh wait ... this is IE, the Operating System component!

    Hence my ignorance, for me it's strictly an Operating System component!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 16, 2006
  8. Scripsit Beauregard T. Shagnasty:

    > Do you mean such as:
    > Tools > Internet Options > Click the Accessibility button
    >
    > Fill in the name of the CSS file somewhere on your computer.

    Right. The name "Accessibility" is misleading, since this is surely not
    _only_ about accessibility.

    > But be careful; other things besides the browser use it. Like the
    > desktop.

    Pardon? Which features are you referring to, or are you joking?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 16, 2006
  9. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Scripsit Beauregard T. Shagnasty:

    [IE style sheet:]
    >> But be careful; other things besides the browser use it. Like the
    >> desktop.

    > Pardon? Which features are you referring to, or are you joking?

    Joking? No. I had recently set up an IE user style sheet on this W2K
    box, adding:

    body {
    background: #EDEDED !important;
    }

    This background color now appears in the desktop setting of the
    wallpaper image (right-click desktop, choose Properties, General tab)
    and interferes with the choosing of an image file.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 16, 2006