picture - background

Eric

sorry for my englisch.

I have a picture as background (see http://members.home.nl/eaeggert )

Is it possible that the visitor can see the whole picture whatever the the
resolution is?

something like <body background="background.jpg" width="100%" height="100%">

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Barbara de Zoete

sorry for my englisch.

I have a picture as background (see http://members.home.nl/eaeggert )

Is it possible that the visitor can see the whole picture whatever the
the
resolution is?

You wouldn't want that. Resolution of the screen doesn't say anything
about size of the viewport of the browser.
something like <body background="background.jpg" width="100%"
height="100%">

What if I have my viewport sized at 500px width and 800px hight? What
happens to your background image?

Barbara

brucie

In alt.html Eric said:
I have a picture as background (see http://members.home.nl/eaeggert )
Is it possible that the visitor can see the whole picture whatever the the
resolution is?

resolution is largely irrelevant. what you're after is the browsers
available canvas area but browsers are crappy at resizing images and its
not nice to make the visitor download huge images that they may or may
not want. find a happy medium, size the image using your graphics
program and display it at its actual size.

rf

brucie wrote
In alt.html rf said:

<hands on hips/> canvas

/pouts

didyareadthelink?

IHMO the canvas (a term I misused as well, caught it from you IIRC) is the
total available area on which the browser may render the page. Note, in the
aforementioned link they don't just restrict the canvas to the x and y
dimensions. It could also the time and volume dimensions, if we are an aural
browser.

Upon re-reading that bit of the spec (even though it is CSS2) I am more
comfortable with viewport.

Canvas does imply something wider than the [possible] physical screen (even
yours) and if the browser were to try to paint outside this physical screen
her brush would bump into that plastic bit and pixels would drip down into
the on/off switch and all hell would be out for noon when millions of
inconvenienced but suddenly free electrons leak out onto the carpet and set
fire to the cats tail.

Smelly things, burning cats.

brucie

In alt.html Spartanicus said:
The size of the canvas is irrelevant to web coders,

i said "available canvas area" not canvas
the size of the viewport is not.

tell me the size of the viewport of an audio browser or a braille
reader. now tell me the size of their available canvas area.

Spartanicus

brucie said:
i said "available canvas area" not canvas

You said "the browsers available canvas area", which is irrelevant to
the OP, what he's interested in, is getting an image to display fully in
the viewport.
tell me the size of the viewport of an audio browser or a braille
reader.

It has none, not that it matters to the point that viewport size is
relevant to web coders.

brucie

In alt.html rf said:
/pouts
didyareadthelink?

yep and i like this bit:

"User agents for continuous media generally offer users a viewport (a
window or other viewing area on the screen) through which users consult
a document."
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#viewport

i especially liked this bit of it:
"generally offer users a viewport (a window or other viewing area on the
screen)"

"generally offer" is not always. browsers don't always have a viewport
but they do have a canvas and on that canvas "rendering generally occurs
within a finite region" or as i refer to it because not all useragents
have a viewport - the "available canvas area"
Upon re-reading that bit of the spec (even though it is CSS2) I am more
comfortable with viewport.

icky poo

brucie

In alt.html Spartanicus said:
You said "the browsers available canvas area", which is irrelevant to
the OP, what he's interested in, is getting an image to display fully in
the viewport.

"available canvas area" is more accurate as not all browsers have a
viewport. that is why i always say "available canvas area" and not
"viewport"

rf

brucie argued:
In alt.html rf said:

yep and i like this bit:

<snips bits>

Oh all bloody right. Lets come to an arrangement. You call it canvas and
I'll call it viewport for a few weeks and lets see if anybody actually sort
of like, notices?

We can tally up the complaints at the next party. I believe Neal is bringing
the martinis. Lois might come if the Neal GF is away. Mark has the market
cornered in rum&coke, his sig is all over the archives.

Spartanicus

brucie said:
"available canvas area" is more accurate as not all browsers have a
viewport. that is why i always say "available canvas area" and not
"viewport"

All visual UAs have viewport(s), a visual UA is a requirement to display
images.

brucie made a boo-boo, brucie made a boo-boo

brucie

In alt.html Spartanicus said:
All visual UAs have viewport(s), a visual UA is a requirement to display
images.

a braille reader can also "display" images. you can even get standalone
devices specifically made so users can feel images rather than the poor
quality a braille reader gives. but they still don't have a viewport.
brucie made a boo-boo, brucie made a boo-boo

not even jukka can sway me on this one. viewport is too device
dependent.

brucie

In alt.html rf said:
<snips bits>
Oh all bloody right.

i'm really not doing it just to be difficult.
Lets come to an arrangement. You call it canvas

ok but "available canvas area" not just "canvas", they're different
things.
and I'll call it viewport for a few weeks and lets see if anybody
actually sort of like, notices?
ok

We can tally up the complaints at the next party.

thats not fair, you have charm and charisma to woo everyone. all i've
got is little voices that don't even agree with me.

SpaceGirl

brucie said:
In alt.html rf said:

i'm really not doing it just to be difficult.

ok but "available canvas area" not just "canvas", they're different
things.

thats not fair, you have charm and charisma to woo everyone. all i've
got is little voices that don't even agree with me.

He's right. Take me! Take me now!

*falls flat on the floor*

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

brucie

In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
He's right. Take me! Take me now!
*falls flat on the floor*

its just not fair <stamps foot/> i have to go and have a little cry now
:(