PIL- error message- cannot open libtiff.so.3

Tuvas

Okay, so I've been getting this error message when trying to use PIL to
open a JPEG, that there isn't a library by the name of libtiff.so.3 .
I've been searching the documentation, there isn't any reference to
this library. Also, I don't know why it's doing this as I'm trying to
open a JPEG, and not a tiff. I tried with a .bmp with similar results.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Fredrik Lundh

Tuvas said:
Okay, so I've been getting this error message when trying to use PIL to
open a JPEG, that there isn't a library by the name of libtiff.so.3 .
I've been searching the documentation, there isn't any reference to
this library. Also, I don't know why it's doing this as I'm trying to
open a JPEG, and not a tiff. I tried with a .bmp with similar results.

sounds like someone has linked _imaging.so against the libtiff library.

what PIL version is this, and where did you get it ?

</F>

Tuvas

I got it from the PIL website, version 1.1.5. I guess it's possible
that there's another library Image on the computer that it could be
confusing? I'm looking for new things. Thanks!

Erik Max Francis

Tuvas said:
Okay, so I've been getting this error message when trying to use PIL to
open a JPEG, that there isn't a library by the name of libtiff.so.3 .
I've been searching the documentation, there isn't any reference to
this library. Also, I don't know why it's doing this as I'm trying to
open a JPEG, and not a tiff. I tried with a .bmp with similar results.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Install libtiff.

Fredrik Lundh

Tuvas said:
I got it from the PIL website, version 1.1.5. I guess it's possible
that there's another library Image on the computer that it could be
confusing? I'm looking for new things. Thanks!

afaik, there are no unix binaries on the PIL website. did you build
it yourself, from source code? what modifications did you do to the
setup.py file? what happens if you do

$ python
?

</F>

Tuvas

Oddly enough, that seems to have solved the problem. Duh. Take the
simple solution first. Thanks for the wake up call!

Tuvas

Well, it seems to have resolved the problem. Don't know what was
causing it to begin with, but I'll take it...