PIL for OSX 64bit

moerchendiser2k3

Hi,

I have a problem with Python and the Python Image Library to get it
work on OSX 64 bit. Maybe anyone can help me? I started Python in 64
bit mode and called Image.open(...).load() and got:

ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed

Yes, it seems PIL is not available in 64 bit on my system, but I can't
compile it in any way. Is there a tutorial or something like that
which explains how I can compile it in 64 bit? I found a workaround
where I added this function to the setup.py

OrigExtension = Extension
def Extension(*args, **kwargs):
extra_args = ['-arch', 'x86_64']
kwargs['extra_compile_args'] = extra_args + kwargs.get
('extra_compile_args', [])
kwargs['extra_link_args'] = extra_args + kwargs.get('extra_link_args',
[])
return OrigExtension(*args, **kwargs)

without success. Can anyone help me? Thanks...

Cheers, Googler

Ned Deily

I have a problem with Python and the Python Image Library to get it
work on OSX 64 bit. Maybe anyone can help me? I started Python in 64
bit mode and called Image.open(...).load() and got:

ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed
[...]

It's hard to know what your problem is without more information. One
potential stumbling block: PIL has dependencies on other open-source
libraries, such as libjpeg and freetype. You'll need to have 64-bit
versions of them available when building and when running, as well.
There are a number of ways to do that. The simplest might be to
download pre-built frameworks containing those libraries from here:

http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:frameworks

There are also build scripts there for building your own versions from
scratch.