Pipelined binary encoder

Fred Bartoli

Hello,

I need to include in my design a wide (128 inputs and later 256 inputs) one
hot to binary encoder.
It has to run at 100MHz so I'm looking for a pipelined one (latency is no
pb).
I've searched almost everywhere to not avail and can't come with a good
solution by myself.

Does someone have hints or can point me in the right direction ?

Oh, we need 2 of them and they will be implemented in an APEX 20KE.
There will be lots of other stuff too, so it has to be pretty size
efficient.

Jonathan Bromley

Fred Bartoli said:
Hello,

I need to include in my design a wide (128 inputs and later 256 inputs) one
hot to binary encoder.
It has to run at 100MHz so I'm looking for a pipelined one (latency is no
pb).
I've searched almost everywhere to not avail and can't come with a good
solution by myself.

Does someone have hints or can point me in the right direction ?

Oh, we need 2 of them and they will be implemented in an APEX 20KE.
There will be lots of other stuff too, so it has to be pretty size
efficient.

A 256-to-8 one-hot to binary encoder is just eight 128-input OR gates,
right? And a wide OR gate is easy to pipeline - just a tree of
smaller OR gates, with pipeline registers at whatever levels you choose.
The trick is to find a nice way to code it in VHDL. Recursive
is pretty, though not all tools do a good job on recursive
hardware descriptions.

You may even find that the 128-in OR gate is fast enough without
pipelining, though I doubt it.

If you need to check that the input code is truly one-hot,
things are much tougher.