placing two images one in front and one behind

Guest

does anyone have an example with css where two images are placed one in
front of the other?

Jonathan N. Little

Nospam said:
does anyone have an example with css where two images are placed one in
front of the other?
Do you mean by front an overlay? If so the image rollovers that I did on
this page is via CSS instead of traditional JavaScript.

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/Amberlithe/articles/2
Article: Finer points: What's a Rhomboid? - Amberlithe Ibizan Hounds

That is a dynamic example, but it is not too difficult to statically
position one element over top of another with 'position: absolute;'...
More info would help.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Interesting, Jonathan, I wish the diagrams and text (eg. on the
ears) would stay put till I moved mouse off and not keep looping
(disappearing and reappearing). Safari.

Should, it is an animated GIF cycling though the different points. Flash
would be a better solution, just having gotten around with learning Flash.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:

In iCab it stays put after the various stages are unfolded. But
not on my FF or Safari.

To be clear, in Safari and FF on Mac it does this: move mouse to
left dog's left ear and red triangle appears, then word/graphic
Rhomboid, then .., then without touching mouse, leaving it on
ear, the whole "rollover" disappears and loops through again.

More pleasingly, in iCab it stays completed. Moving mouse away,
it goes but returns (completed, not in stages) on hover again.

Curiously, on refresh (reload url) in iCab, the rollover fails to
work at all.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
In iCab it stays put after the various stages are unfolded. But
not on my FF or Safari.

To be clear, in Safari and FF on Mac it does this: move mouse to
left dog's left ear and red triangle appears, then word/graphic
Rhomboid, then .., then without touching mouse, leaving it on
ear, the whole "rollover" disappears and loops through again.

More pleasingly, in iCab it stays completed. Moving mouse away,
it goes but returns (completed, not in stages) on hover again.

Curiously, on refresh (reload url) in iCab, the rollover fails to
work at all.

Maybe your iCab is set to limit the number of reps for animated GIFs.
Many browser have that setting.

It is a kludge as I said, better served as Flash. The GIF does not
reload as with JavaScript methods I am just moving it "off stage" when
not hovered so if hover while the animation is in the middle of the
cycle, well it is less than perfect...

Bergamot

Jonathan said:
it is an animated GIF

Ah, that explains why nothing much happened when I put the cursor over
the dog pictures. I disabled animations in my browser. It was a little
confusing to see the cursor change to help (?) but nothing else.