    here upon the arrival of new mail into their inbox say) in a platform
    independent manner?

    Thanks Ike
    Ike, Feb 26, 2004

  2. "Ike"...
    > How do I make an applet play just a small sound

    Checking the JavaDocs for applet might
    be a good start, are you familiar with them?

    Magic word.. 'play'

    >..(the kind of sound one might
    > here upon the arrival of new mail into their inbox say) in a platform
    > independent manner?

    ...you do realise that there is no
    'platform independent' _sound_
    for new mail, don't you?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Here, for the sake of anyone doing a simple search through the archives in
    the future:
    Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().beep() ;-Ike"Andrew Thompson"

    Ike, Feb 26, 2004
  4. "Ike" ...
    > Here, for the sake of anyone doing a simple search through the archives in
    > the future:
    > Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().beep() ;-Ike"Andrew Thompson"

    If you regard the 'beep' as a sound for
    'new mail', your ears need checking.

    OTOH it's good you have found how to
    use the search engine.

    Of course, any one doing a simple simple
    search through the archives (which you
    should have done at the outset) for
    'system beep' would have found the
    thousands of references to 'system beep',
    and ignore the apparently unrelated post
    titled 'playing a sound'.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > "Ike" ...
    >
    >>Here, for the sake of anyone doing a simple search through the archives in
    >>the future:
    >>Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().beep() ;-Ike"Andrew Thompson"

    > If you regard the 'beep' as a sound for
    > 'new mail', your ears need checking.
    >
    > OTOH it's good you have found how to
    > use the search engine.
    >
    > Of course, any one doing a simple simple
    > search through the archives (which you
    > should have done at the outset) for
    > 'system beep' would have found the
    > thousands of references to 'system beep',
    > and ignore the apparently unrelated post
    > titled 'playing a sound'.

    <insert catty sound here>

    :)
    Peter Ashford, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Pete, you are not at all accusing our Andrew Thompson of being somehow
    "catty" are you??! :)

    steve r. burrus, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Ike

    Erwin Moller Guest

    Ike wrote:

    > How do I make an applet play just a small sound (the kind of sound one
    > might here upon the arrival of new mail into their inbox say) in a
    > platform independent manner?
    >
    > Thanks Ike

    Hi Ike,

    After the bashing in the other branch, you might want to catch up by reading
    this tutorial:

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/sound/playing.html

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller