playing a sound

Ike

How do I make an applet play just a small sound (the kind of sound one might
here upon the arrival of new mail into their inbox say) in a platform
independent manner?

Thanks Ike

Andrew Thompson

"Ike"...
How do I make an applet play just a small sound

Checking the JavaDocs for applet might
be a good start, are you familiar with them?

Magic word.. 'play'
..(the kind of sound one might
here upon the arrival of new mail into their inbox say) in a platform
independent manner?

...you do realise that there is no
'platform independent' _sound_
for new mail, don't you?

Ike

Here, for the sake of anyone doing a simple search through the archives in
the future:
Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().beep() ;-Ike"Andrew Thompson"

Andrew Thompson

"Ike" ...
Here, for the sake of anyone doing a simple search through the archives in
the future:
Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().beep() ;-Ike"Andrew Thompson"

If you regard the 'beep' as a sound for
'new mail', your ears need checking.

OTOH it's good you have found how to
use the search engine.

Of course, any one doing a simple simple
search through the archives (which you
should have done at the outset) for
'system beep' would have found the
thousands of references to 'system beep',
and ignore the apparently unrelated post
titled 'playing a sound'.

Peter Ashford

Andrew said:
"Ike" ...

If you regard the 'beep' as a sound for
'new mail', your ears need checking.

OTOH it's good you have found how to
use the search engine.

Of course, any one doing a simple simple
search through the archives (which you
should have done at the outset) for
'system beep' would have found the
thousands of references to 'system beep',
and ignore the apparently unrelated post
titled 'playing a sound'.

<insert catty sound here>

:)

steve r. burrus

Pete, you are not at all accusing our Andrew Thompson of being somehow
"catty" are you??! :)