PLEAC-Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gregory Brown, Nov 24, 2005.

  1. Has anyone seen this before?

    It's a project that aims to implement the Perl cookbook solutions in Ruby.

    http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/

    It has a lot of really good ideas in it, but it's kind of hit or miss
    as far as Ruby idioms goes and looks to be out of date in places.

    Still, I think it could be a good resource if we collectively bug
    whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
    fill in the holes.

    I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
    sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
    it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.
     
    Gregory Brown, Nov 24, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gregory Brown wrote:
    > Has anyone seen this before?
    >
    > It's a project that aims to implement the Perl cookbook solutions in Ruby.
    >
    > http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/
    >
    > It has a lot of really good ideas in it, but it's kind of hit or miss
    > as far as Ruby idioms goes and looks to be out of date in places.
    >
    > Still, I think it could be a good resource if we collectively bug
    > whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
    > fill in the holes.
    >
    > I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
    > sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
    > it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.
    >


    Take cover, everyone....

    (Search the archives for pleac.)

    --
    vjoel : Joel VanderWerf : path berkeley edu : 510 665 3407
     
    Joel VanderWerf, Nov 24, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 11/23/05, Joel VanderWerf <> wrote:
    > Gregory Brown wrote:
    > > Has anyone seen this before?
    > >
    > > It's a project that aims to implement the Perl cookbook solutions in Ru=

    by.
    > >
    > > http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/
    > >
    > > It has a lot of really good ideas in it, but it's kind of hit or miss
    > > as far as Ruby idioms goes and looks to be out of date in places.
    > >
    > > Still, I think it could be a good resource if we collectively bug
    > > whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
    > > fill in the holes.
    > >
    > > I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
    > > sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
    > > it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.
    > >

    >
    > Take cover, everyone....
    >
    > (Search the archives for pleac.)


    Haha... I just did. So it seems this project is centered around
    writing perl in other languages essentially?

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/3290d2baac3f0105

    Hmm... not exactly my cup of tea. Though I do think something in
    this spirit (but with more focus on writing ruby with it's idioms )
    would be nice. I know O'Reilly is working on a cookbook, but it
    would be nice to see a community maintained project...
     
    Gregory Brown, Nov 24, 2005
    #3
  4. Gregory Brown

    James Gray Guest

    vjoel wrote:
    > Gregory Brown wrote:
    >> whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
    >> fill in the holes.
    >>
    >> I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
    >> sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
    >> it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.
    >>

    >
    > Take cover, everyone....
    >
    > (Search the archives for pleac.)


    I have to agree that it's a poor resource. I don't even understand
    their goal, which seems to be, "To write all the Perl idioms in all
    non-Perl languages."

    James Edward Gray II

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    James Gray, Nov 24, 2005
    #4
  5. Gregory Brown wrote:

    > Hmm... not exactly my cup of tea. Though I do think something in
    > this spirit (but with more focus on writing ruby with it's idioms )
    > would be nice. I know O'Reilly is working on a cookbook, but it
    > would be nice to see a community maintained project...


    Try (I think):

    http://ruby-cookbook.rubyforge.org

    Failing that, find Martin DeMello's email address on the list and ask
    him :)

    Gavin
     
    Gavin Sinclair, Nov 24, 2005
    #5
  6. On 11/24/05, Gavin Sinclair <> wrote:

    > Try (I think):
    >
    > http://ruby-cookbook.rubyforge.org
    >
    > Failing that, find Martin DeMello's email address on the list and ask
    > him :)


    This was registered over a year ago and still hasn't released anything :(

    But I might try getting ahold of him.
     
    Gregory Brown, Nov 24, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jonas

    pleac

    jonas, May 4, 2006, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    472
    Thomas Guettler
    May 4, 2006
  2. jonas

    pleac and Cookbook

    jonas, May 8, 2006, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    343
    Jerry Coffin
    May 8, 2006
  3. anne001
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    526
  4. jonas

    pleac

    jonas, May 4, 2006, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    101
    Dave Burt
    May 6, 2006
  5. Nando Sanchez
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    170
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
    Mar 19, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page