Please could someone take a look at this website...

Jerry

..... www.newburycarnival.org.uk

and tell me why a friend of mine (actually, the guy picture on the
front page!) can't see the banner that's at the top of the page (it's a
jpeg montage of pics from previous carnivals).

It's visible on every computer I've used to test the site, and I've
asked others to test it, but it can't be viewed on this guy's laptop,
home PC or work PC which seems a bit odd to me.

Very grateful for any suggestions - I'm sure that I've made a dumb
mistake.

Jerry

ironcorona

Jerry said:
..... www.newburycarnival.org.uk

and tell me why a friend of mine (actually, the guy picture on the
front page!) can't see the banner that's at the top of the page (it's a
jpeg montage of pics from previous carnivals).

It's visible on every computer I've used to test the site, and I've
asked others to test it, but it can't be viewed on this guy's laptop,
home PC or work PC which seems a bit odd to me.

Uuuuum. Did he have his eyes open?

Perhaps you could tell us what browser (and version) he was using. If
he has images turned on or not etc etc.

Jonathan N. Little

.... www.newburycarnival.org.uk

and tell me why a friend of mine (actually, the guy picture on the
front page!) can't see the banner that's at the top of the page (it's a
jpeg montage of pics from previous carnivals).

It's visible on every computer I've used to test the site, and I've
asked others to test it, but it can't be viewed on this guy's laptop,
home PC or work PC which seems a bit odd to me.

Very grateful for any suggestions - I'm sure that I've made a dumb
mistake.

Maybe he was using Lynx!

The only errors I see quickly is

1) All the inline styling i.e., style="font-weight: bold;" and such,
should be removed from the markup and put in the stylesheet.

2) Stop using BR's for creating paragraphs and use P elements.

3) Learn to write a better subject line to your posts. Maybe "banner not
showing on page"

Joel Shepherd

Jerry said:
.... www.newburycarnival.org.uk

and tell me why a friend of mine (actually, the guy picture on the
front page!) can't see the banner that's at the top of the page (it's a
jpeg montage of pics from previous carnivals).

I believe certain commercial software packages (e.g., Norton Internet
Security Suite or whatever it's called: there are others), actively
block things that look like banner ads. I don't know specifically how
they identify banners, but from lurking about I'd suspect that they
consider (A) Size (many banner ads come in one of several common sizes)
and (B) File names.

Try changing the name of the image to something that doesn't suggest
"banner" -- like "montage" maybe -- and change the alt text to, um, ""
(an empty string), which in this case is probably more appropriate.

I'm willing to bet a banana that that will resolve the problem.

Peter

Jerry said:
.... www.newburycarnival.org.uk

and tell me why a friend of mine (actually, the guy picture on the
front page!) can't see the banner that's at the top of the page (it's a
jpeg montage of pics from previous carnivals).

It's visible on every computer I've used to test the site, and I've
asked others to test it, but it can't be viewed on this guy's laptop,
home PC or work PC which seems a bit odd to me.

Very grateful for any suggestions - I'm sure that I've made a dumb
mistake.

Jerry
As a former Prince I advise you to validate . It might help.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.newburycarnival.org.uk/
Peter

Jerry

Very thanks for all that, folks. I've actually will try your
suggestions and will try harder with my post titles in future (have set
myself 100 lines on that one - is it OK to copy and paste).
Changing the name sounds like a very good idea - where should I send
the banana if it's correct, Joel?

Jerry

dorayme

Joel Shepherd said:
'm willing to bet a banana that that will resolve the problem.

Perhaps you are confident of your opinion and are in Australia
where bananas are now worth something! (since a recent cyclone
wiped out many plantations in North Queensland)

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Perhaps you are confident of your opinion and are in Australia
where bananas are now worth something! (since a recent cyclone
wiped out many plantations in North Queensland)

So, where exactly in Australia do you live, by the way?
Can you speak Chinese?

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
So, where exactly in Australia do you live, by the way?
Can you speak Chinese?

Where exactly in Sweden do you live? And can you speak any of the
Australian aboriginal languages at all?

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi said:
So, where exactly in Australia do you live, by the way?
Can you speak Chinese?

Hey I heard there is a shortage of available hearses in 'Down Under',
seems the youngens there have scarfed them up because they are viewed as
'chick magnets'!

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Where exactly in Sweden do you live?
Have you never visited my website?

And can you speak any of the
Australian aboriginal languages at all?

Well, I had learnt something of the language which
Maori speak
but they live in New Zealand.
Which aboriginal language do you speak?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Jonathan N. Little said:
Hey I heard there is a shortage of available hearses in 'Down Under',
seems the youngens there have scarfed them up because they are viewed as
'chick magnets'!

Do you also come from Australia?

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Do you also come from Australia?

He was last seen struggling to get out of an Australian hearse,
some feller, keener on html and css than poultry was collecting
expertise to keep chained up in the study for instant help...

Joel Shepherd

dorayme said:
Perhaps you are confident of your opinion and are in Australia ...

Just fairly confident. Though I wouldn't mind being in Australia for a
bit.
where bananas are now worth something! (since a recent cyclone
wiped out many plantations in North Queensland)

Bummer. I like bananas.

I read a few months back that the current species of banana most of us
are familiar with will likely be extinct (some sort of mold I think).
Apparently this happens fairly regularly: e.g., the common banana back
in the first half of the century went extinct for the same reason.

But, I usually wager a nickel (five cents, US), but since there's an
international audience here, well ... a banana seemed about right.

Joel Shepherd

Jerry said:
where should I send
the banana if it's correct, Joel?

Seattle, Washington, USA, care of a large internet retailer named after
a South American river. It'll find me. :)

dorayme

But, I usually wager a nickel (five cents, US), but since there's an
international audience here, well ... a banana seemed about right.

Yes, I see. Anyway, you were right it seems. So send a banana.

I won't buy them on principle because I cannot help feeling that
there is a scam going on... in the north NSW country, there are
tons of reasonable banana fields totally untouched by the trouble
a thousand miles to the north. $10 a kilo!

.... btw I only know one person who does not like bananas... my
own daughter, dorayher

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Have you never visited my website?

OK, Luigi... your dart has at least found the board (a lucky
throw?). Sydney.[/QUOTE]

Are you from Sydney or do you just happen to live there at the very moment?
Thank you for your answer anyway.