Please Help! How to bring focus back on previous frame element

Dai Ba Wong

Hi:

Currently I am having a problem with my webpage. My page consist of
two frames, one consist of input text field and the other contains
link for different pop-up windows. The problem follows:

1. At the beginning, focus is placed on an input text field of the
first frame (so there's a blinking cursor on such field).

2. Then users click on a link of the second frame (thus focus is set
on the clicked link) and a second window popup.

3. Right after users performed their operations on the pop-up window,
they will close the window and will like to have focus brought back to
the previously focused text field of the first field (Notice: After
users close the pop-up window, the previously focused text input still
have a blinking cursor and you may type on the field. However, if you
tab out, you would fine that the focus is on the clicked link of the
second frame. That means the focus is not on the first frame's text
field and if such text field contains an onchange function, such
function will not be activated as users tab out).

My problem is as users click on the link of the second frame, the
focus is placed on the selected link and a window pops up. How can I
have the focus placed back on the first frame's text field after
closing the pop-up so that I can enter data and tab out to activate
the onchange function of such text field. Having a blinking cursor of
such text field while not really having the focus on such field seems
confusing to users.

Thanks very much for every bit of help.

Dai

kaeli

My problem is as users click on the link of the second frame, the
focus is placed on the selected link and a window pops up. How can I
have the focus placed back on the first frame's text field after
closing the pop-up so that I can enter data and tab out to activate
the onchange function of such text field. Having a blinking cursor of
such text field while not really having the focus on such field seems
confusing to users.

Have a global function in the frame that sets a variable to an element
each time one gets focus. This keeps track of where the user is. In the
onFocus of the window, set cursor focus to that element. Don't forget to
test it for null or set to a default for the first load before the user
has actually focused anything.

Note that i do not recommend this for internet use. Intranet and CD
would be fine.

~kaeli~
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than
standing in a garage makes you a car.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Dai Ba Wong

--

Thanks Kaeli, but I wonder other than setting a global variable to
remember the last focused field and automatically set back the focus,

Thanks for all the time and help!

kaeli

Thanks Kaeli, but I wonder other than setting a global variable to
remember the last focused field and automatically set back the focus,
is there any way for users to click on a link of another frame and
then after such link brings up a pop-up and close the window, the
focus can be brought back the original frame. Is there such innate
Javascript function since somehow the original frame's text field
continue to have a blinking cursor throughout the process, I wonder if
there's any function to have the focus stay on the field instead of
sending the focus to link of the second frame when it is clicked.

Thanks for all the time and help!

Okay, if I understand you, you want to focus the frame.
So, sure, assuming you know the name of the frame you want focused.
self.parent.frames['framename'].focus();
should work from any of the frames in the set.
If you want to do it from the popup, do
self.opener.parent.frames['framename'].focus();

Both assume a simple frameset that doesn't have a frameset within a
frameset type setup. If you have a complex frameset, replace 'parent'
with 'top'. Warning: using 'top' will break if a foreign frameset puts
your frames inside it.

HTH

~kaeli~
A midget fortune teller who escapes from prison is a small
medium at large.